Breathing-

BLinda

Cathlete
I find that when I am doing weight work that I must breathe much slower than everyone else. I hear the suggestion to breathe with the exhertion, but can't. I find that I take about one inhalation per lift and lower, and an exhalation for the next rep. I assume that since I am breathing, that is the important thing, right? I am not missing out on any of the benefits of lifting, am I?
The exception to this is ab work, where it really is easier to synchronize my breathe to the actual movements.
BLinda

Hmmmm....

Well, I have the same "problem" you do... if the reps are too fast, I feel awkward trying to breathe in rhythm with the reps. Maybe it's all the years of singing lessons, but I tend to take longer, slower breaths anyway.

Point being, I think (if I remember what I've read correctly) the most important thing is not to hold your breath while lifting. (I believe it spikes blood pressure if you're really lifting heavy and you hold your breath.) I would imagine that if you're breathing in a normal (for you) rhythm, your muscles would be getting plenty of oxygen and you'd be fine. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.
happy.gif
But I'm no expert, so...

Elena

Hi BLinda!

Yes, the most important thing is that you ARE breathing(bringing oxygen to the muscles and keeping blood pressure regulated----thanks Elena). However, when you are lifting slow and heavy, that is the time to really put your breathing into rep action. Inhale deeply and exhale slowly as you lower the weight(example: when we lift the weight on count one(inhale) and lower down the weight slowly for three counts(exhale)). This will not only provide the above benefits, however, will also strengthen your center core
happy.gif

Neat!

I had never thought about the core strength part of it. Now I've got to make a mental note to pay attention to my breathing patterns on the slower lifts.

Thanks Cathe!

Elena

I like that too!

It is a nice bonus. And I will concentrate on my breathing with the slower lifts. Thanks Cathe.
BLInda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.