Breast Fitness

fitnessfay

Cathlete
According to Harley Pasternak (celebrity trainer), the following three exercises are best to prevent sagging breasts:

Reverse Fly
Lying Tricep Extension
Superman

The worst are pushups & chest presses/flyes. This explains why my posture hasn't been looking so great, it's those darn chest exercises & probably sitting at the computer a lot.

I remember on a 2007 Cathe Road trip, one of the guest speakers (Cindy Bilicki-Nimz) said, "that for every one chest exercise you need to do at least three back exercises to avoid poor posture". Keeping this ratio mind, I'll definitely be making modifications in my workouts from now on!

Last edited:
Reverse Fly
Lying Tricep Extension
Superman

The idea is that you strengthen your back and shoulders to help your posture, which makes your breasts look like they are sitting higher.

He says flys and pushups can make your breasts sag because of rolling your shoulders in. I don't know about anyone else, but Cathe has taught me the proper way to do these exercises (ie I always make sure my shoulders stay back when I'm doing chest flys) so I'm not giving them up.

Pedmom said:
Reverse Fly
Lying Tricep Extension
Superman

The idea is that you strengthen your back and shoulders to help your posture, which makes your breasts look like they are sitting higher.

He says flys and pushups can make your breasts sag because of rolling your shoulders in. I don't know about anyone else, but Cathe has taught me the proper way to do these exercises (ie I always make sure my shoulders stay back when I'm doing chest flys) so I'm not giving them up.

Thanks Pedmom...interesting. My posture is getting worse (I blame it on slumping in front of a computer all day) so this is helpful. I'm not giving up those push ups or chest flys either, although sometimes in the moment I'd like to. :)

Reverse Fly
Lying Tricep Extension
Superman

I was wondering why push ups would be taboo b/c as long as you counter chest work with back work you should be fine! I know how to properly execute a push up as well and will never give them up either! :)

It's not that you are doing the chest exercises wrong - it's that by doing them, you are tightening up the muscles in the front of your body, causing it to naturally curve in on itself a bit. Partner that up with lousy posture from sitting at a computer all day, and you have a problem. That's why many folks will recommend that you focus a LOT more attention on your back - to pull THOSE muscles in tighter, opening up your chest area over time.

Do a little experiment - after a particularly back intensive workout that doesn't also have chest work, pay attention to your posture that day. You'll likely naturally be standing up straighter, with your shoulders pulled back where they should be. Bingo. :)

Bad posture from chest work is caused by muscle imbalance. Always try to use the same amount of weight for chest and back. If you do a benchpress with 70 lbs, the back row should not have more than 70 lbs. Otherwise the stronger muscles pull on the weaker ones resulting in bad posture.

Aside from muscle balance (also working the back), wouldn't thorough stretching counter the hunching-over effect? I do yoga a couple days a week or so and there are always lots of up dogs, back bends, etc. Personally, I use a block to do a sort of supported-fish pose at home a lot.

Cathe's response to this issue...

Cathe confirmed in her XTrain Series (see p. 53 of the User's Guide) that muscle imbalance/poor posture can be remedied if we "put additional focus on...the weakest muscle". She even includes a Bonus Rear Delts workout in disc 5 (XTrain, Legs).

Thank you, Cathe. :)

Last edited:
I wonder how tricep extensions help breasts?

I do need to focus more on my back exercises.

You can have perfect posture and still have sagging breasts! Having a strong musculature isn't going to make that much difference if your genetics, or childbirth history, or yo-yo weight history, has given you saggy girls. Although I guess they won't appear to sag quite as low if you are able to stand up straight. :)

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.