BPM For Kickboxing

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Good Morning Cathe and Educated Crowd.

What is the appropriate BPM for kickboxing? My company is holding a huge fundraiser for a local childrens hospital and each department is raising money in different ways. My department has a certified kickboxing instructor in its midst, so we are planning to hold a kickboxing class. I need to order some music and was told to get something that starts with a BPM of 140-ish and gradually builds up to around 155. I just wanted to confirm that this is corrent. (Collage Video lists some DVDs with lower BPM that they say are good for kickboxing, so now I'm not sure what to do).

Any advide would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shelbygirl

Hi, Shelby Girl! Actually, the 140-155 range for kickbox sounds a little fast to me. Although I'm not a kickboxing instructor, I am a faithful purchaser of aerobics music CD's for my aqua classes, and usually the catalogs promote kickboxing music at around the 130-135 range.

My suggestion is to go with that range; since this is a fundraiser and you have precisely zero control over who's going to participate (which means you don't know who's skilled and fit and who isn't) better be on the safe (physically and liability-wise) side with a more standard bpm that I've noted. 140-155 may be appropriate for highly skilled, highly fit people but not for something like this.

HTH -

A-Jock

Thanks, A-Jock, for the tip. Now, I just have to convince our young, very energetic, just-out-of-college instructor to go with the slower music! Luckily, my company is filled with fitness fanatics (which is odd considering we are an insurance company), so the fitness level at the classes should be moderately high (for whatever that's worth!).

Shelbygirl

Hi Shelbygirl! I agree 100% with Aquajock. I generally use 135 during the kick and punch combo's and slightly higher if I am doing athletic cardio kickbox moves (IE: speed bag arms while bring the knee up 4 times then switching sides. Or jogging in place type things). If you don't know the skill level of your participants, definitely go slower. No sense having them pull a muscle or strain their backs. Good luck with your fundraiser.

Btw, Dynamix sells a lot of kickbox soundtracks as does Janis Saffell. We have links to both of their sites on our home page.

Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.