Boots for "skinny" legs?

nancy324

Cathlete
Hello, Fashionistas. Anyone else loving boots this season?

I have no problem finding great boots to wear with pants, but I went on the hunt for tall boots to wear with skirts and kept striking out because the boot shaft was too wide. Someone recommended a site called skinnylegboots.com. They're too expensive for me, but I do seem to fit their bill with 7.5" ankles and 12" calves. But, hey, why do my legs have to be called "skinny"? I think they are shapely and well-proportioned, thank you very much. I am frequently walking and running around the city, and my calves have a nice roundness to them if I do say so myself.

I love the shorter skirt, tights and boot look this year. Maybe because, as Joan Rivers says "the legs are the last thing to go", so they're the last thing I have to show off before everything collapses. But so far the only kind of boots I can wear with skirts are ankle boots.

Does anyone else have this issue and have you solved it?

Hi Nancy!

Yes, I have this issue and have found a few pairs that work. As you said, it's easier (not easy, but a bit easier) to find boots when you're planning to tuck your jeans in.

I recently found a great pair by J Renee that are dressy, suede with about a 2 inch heel that work for me with my jeans tucked in. The style is called "Playa". I also have a more casual pair by Antonio Melani (Dillards) that are flat and also suede. Both of these have a sort of elastic panel on the back side of the boot that helps them conform to my legs. They *might* work with bare legs, but I haven't tried.

My dress pair, that I wear with skirts and dresses were very expensive. They are by Stuart Weitzman and are stretch suede. They conform to my legs like a second skin. I love, love them. I splurged on them about 2 years ago and will wear them forever, as they are a classic style. (Just google Stuart Weitzman stretch suede boot and you'll find this year's style. He puts out a new style of this boot every year, but they don't vary much.)

Thanks JM! I was thinking of you when I posted this. And, I might add, your legs are lovely and shapely my dear, NOt skinny. So there. ;)

Thanks JM! I was thinking of you when I posted this. And, I might add, your legs are lovely and shapely my dear, NOt skinny. So there. ;)

Thank you my dear, and yours are as well! :D

Now you've got me started looking at boots online again! Ha ha! They are my weakness. It also made me think of something else I've figured out. Suede boots just fit our lovely, slender legs better than regular leather. The leather is stiff, therefore if it's a tad big in the circumference, it stands out from the leg. The suede is more forgiving.

I hope you find some! Be sure to post a picture of them when you do! :cool:

Your post made me curious, so I just measured my ankles and calves. Turns out we have the exact same measurements. I have never thought of my legs as skinny though, and I have never had any problems finding tall boots that fit. Now I am wondering if they've been fitting incorrectly all these years :)

I recently purchased and am currently wearing boots by Calvin Klein, Tahari and Etienne Aigner. No problems. I wonder if maybe you are more particular about the fit of your boots than I am?

Anyway, maybe you could try adding leg warmers to your skinny pants and tucking them into the boots to take up any slack. I like the look and the extra warmth it gives...

As someone with pretty thick lower legs (thanks Dad! grrr), that I love the look of space left in the boot. I see it all the time.

Good luck!

As someone with pretty thick lower legs (thanks Dad! grrr), that I love the look of space left in the boot. I see it all the time.

Good luck!

I've been looking around, and it seems to me that most women who wear boots with tights seem to have found boots that pretty much fit their legs. I can't fathom how they find them.

You know, there are lots of beautiful boots with wide shafts. You are lucky!

Your post made me curious, so I just measured my ankles and calves. Turns out we have the exact same measurements. I have never thought of my legs as skinny though, and I have never had any problems finding tall boots that fit. Now I am wondering if they've been fitting incorrectly all these years :)

I recently purchased and am currently wearing boots by Calvin Klein, Tahari and Etienne Aigner. No problems. I wonder if maybe you are more particular about the fit of your boots than I am?

Anyway, maybe you could try adding leg warmers to your skinny pants and tucking them into the boots to take up any slack. I like the look and the extra warmth it gives...

Pants and boots are never a problem. But this year I started wearing skirts for the first time since I was 11 years old, and it's much more comfy than I expected. I love that they make tights with really comfortable waistbands nowadays. They didn't have that when I was young. What happens when you wear boots with just tights?

Thank you my dear, and yours are as well! :D

Now you've got me started looking at boots online again! Ha ha! They are my weakness. It also made me think of something else I've figured out. Suede boots just fit our lovely, slender legs better than regular leather. The leather is stiff, therefore if it's a tad big in the circumference, it stands out from the leg. The suede is more forgiving.

I hope you find some! Be sure to post a picture of them when you do! :cool:

I've noticed that too, JM. Fortunately, I do like suede. Have you tried La Canadienne? They tend to have narrower shafts than other boots, but they are pricey.

I've noticed that too, JM. Fortunately, I do like suede. Have you tried La Canadienne? They tend to have narrower shafts than other boots, but they are pricey.

I've never purchased any La Canadienne, but have seen them on my online searches. I like them!

I don't mind paying a good bit for a boot that I think I'll get a lot of wear out of, so these would fit the bill. I also like the boots I see at skinnylegboots.com!

Just out of curiosity, I measured my ankles and calves. I already knew that if a boot shaft measured more than 13" around I wouldn't even consider it. My ankles are 7.5 inches and my calves are 12.5 inches.

You should check out zappos.com. You can shop for boots by the calf circumference and it they don't fit, ship them back for free! I have a very wide calf and I have been able to find boots that fit me, I'm sure they have some to fit everybody!

Hi Nancy:

great to hear from you, how have you been?

I am with you. I understand completely. I have slender calves and feet also and then add to that that I am tall and there is not a single boot sold that does what I want! I hate the slouch look, but love "tall" boots and for me it's an impossible situation. The average shaft height is between 14-16 inches and it reaches nowhere near my knees! I need a good solid 18 or 19 inches and that would still be below my knee.

It's not fair, Madonna on stage has the perfect boot, right up to her knee, tight, great fit along the calf. Wonder how much she paid for them?!!!!!!!!! Pink has the same effect ging on right now, when I saw a recent Youtube clip of her performing, but then she's shorter than me with more muscled legs than you or me......

So these ones in your clip look great, but alas! Not tall enough......

Every single boot I have bought that said it was 13 or 14 inches in circumference went back because THEY LIED! And Zappos has unfortunately not been the exception. The search continues....

Clare

Hi Nancy:

great to hear from you, how have you been?

I am with you. I understand completely. I have slender calves and feet also and then add to that that I am tall and there is not a single boot sold that does what I want! I hate the slouch look, but love "tall" boots and for me it's an impossible situation. The average shaft height is between 14-16 inches and it reaches nowhere near my knees! I need a good solid 18 or 19 inches and that would still be below my knee.

It's not fair, Madonna on stage has the perfect boot, right up to her knee, tight, great fit along the calf. Wonder how much she paid for them?!!!!!!!!! Pink has the same effect ging on right now, when I saw a recent Youtube clip of her performing, but then she's shorter than me with more muscled legs than you or me......

So these ones in your clip look great, but alas! Not tall enough......

Every single boot I have bought that said it was 13 or 14 inches in circumference went back because THEY LIED! And Zappos has unfortunately not been the exception. The search continues....

Clare

Clare, I'm with you on the shaft height. They are NEVER tall enough for me either. I'm not all that tall (5'7"), but my legs are very long in proportion to the rest of me. I measured (again out of curiosity pertaining to this discussion) and my legs from the bottom of the heel to right below my knee cap is 19 inches. I haven't found a boot yet that comes up high enough. I've just given up and wear ones that are shorter than what I'd perfer. Even my Stuart Weitzman boots aren't long enough. :rolleyes:

Sorry about your boot height problem, Clare and JM. I definitely don't have that problem, but will keep a look out for what you need. Project!!!

Pants and boots are never a problem. But this year I started wearing skirts for the first time since I was 11 years old, and it's much more comfy than I expected. I love that they make tights with really comfortable waistbands nowadays. They didn't have that when I was young. What happens when you wear boots with just tights?

Haven't really noticed one way or another. There is some space between the boot and my calf, but I guess I just figured that as long as it wasn't too tight, I was okay.

I will have to check this out more closely...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.