Books, books and more books

Harlen Coben has one called "Fool me once" that is supposed to be VERY good. Two friends came to me and said "OOOOHHHHH....good book!" So I'm getting it from the library. I also love Janet Evanovich. She has I think 4 with another author where the main character is Nick Fox (world renowned thief and on the FBI's most wanted list) and his cohort an FBI agent. I forget her name, sorry. They're easy reads and very cute.

I just finished "Fool me once" by Harlen Coben. It was good, suspenseful. I didn't see the twist at the end coming. Next will be "Fates and furies". Anyone reading anything interesting?

I'm a huge nonfiction buff and keep "trying" to read "Destiny of the Republic" by Candace Millard. By trying I mean I can't put it down (really!) then stick it somewhere and completely forget about it. It's about James Garfield and his rise to political power (NOT by choice!), the psychopath who ultimately killed him, and how medical doctors ignored the advice of Dr. Lister (think Listerine). Lister was an early advocate for sterilizing wounds but was shoved aside even though he probably could have saved Garfield. I read Millard's "The River of Doubt" and loved it (Teddy Roosevelt trekking down the Amazon despite no one knowing anything about the river and what might happen)... summer's tough when it comes to reading as it's too nice outside to sit on the couch ("Orange is the New Black" binge doesn't count LOL!)! :)

Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones books? Each one is close to a thousand pages long, and he wrote the first one in 1996.
I read all the books before I started watching the series on HBO, and I am totally hooked on both the books and the series. The season finale was wonderful, and I think I am going to watch it again tonight. I have also read almost all of Harlen Coben's books, and there is a wonderful Canadian novelist called Giles Blunt.

I also love James Patterson and Tess Gerritsen. Lisa Jackson is also very good.

I recently finished Roxane Gay's essay collection Bad Feminist and loved it (fabulous mix of wit and seriousness). Now I'm about 80 pages into The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi and I'm really enjoying it. Set in Afghanistan and with two overlapping storylines: one set in 2007 and the other a century earlier.

I also just read and tried to like Brideshead Revisited, but it just never got interesting enough for me. Lots of beautiful prose, but the characters and pacing weren't my cup of tea. Maybe I'll enjoy the movie more. :/

Another one I just finished was by Lisa Gardner "Find Her". It was about a woman who gets abducted but survives.. What happens to her and how she thinks about things during her abduction, how she survives and what she does to never be a victim again. Other women have been abducted too. It had decent suspense. I liked it.

I posted a similar thread last year (?) around this time for some suggestions on great stories. I was overwhelmed with the abundance of titles and reviews everyone posted. Thanks to all of you I enjoyed so many stories I certainly never would have known about. The time has come once again to share what you love. What have you read lately that you would recommend to others? I seem to have hit a string of duds....again!
I worked at a library in Florida and was given the best website "Fantastic Fiction". Anyone that is a book lover values this website. Any author you can imagine the name of their series, what order to read them in, who they recommend, new books and authors and release dates. My mom, sister and I own over 4,000 books. Anyone else that wants a great site to keep track of their books is called "Goodreads" I am always tickled to share this information with any and all readers . My daughter who is 15 even loves these sites as she started her own library.
I am on book 5 in the Lisa Gardner DD Warren series. Murder, mystery suspense and dram are my fave. A super series is by Steven James "Patrick Bowers " Good luck. I have too many I could list here.
"Me Before You" was good , waiting to find the next book.... I hunt, goodwill, salvation armies, garage sales and flea markets.

Hey bz1971! Thanks for the info on the website! I'll Def have to check it out. Especially when you find an author that you like and find out there's MORE in the series. Yes, I am someone who likes to read a series from the beginning.

I'm just finishing up Lisa Lutz new book "The Passenger". I loved her Spellman Files series, but this is more serious. Very good, engaging, has kept me guessing. Love it!

You have to read Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and their website is: prestonchild.com. Their main hero is Special Agent Pendergast, who was born in New Orleans. Their first book, "The Relic, " was made into a movie. They make Crichton look like Mickey Mouse.

Has anybody read George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones books? Each one is close to a thousand pages long, and he wrote the first one in 1996.
I read all the books before I started watching the series on HBO, and I am totally hooked on both the books and the series. The season finale was wonderful, and I think I am going to watch it again tonight. I have also read almost all of Harlen Coben's books, and there is a wonderful Canadian novelist called Giles Blunt.

I also love James Patterson and Tess Gerritsen. Lisa Jackson is also very good.

I've not watch the series or read the book. There is a 90 yo resistant of the local nursing home that started reading the series after watching on TV. He wanted someone to discuss the so I've started the first book. Its not really my genre and it took me a bit to get into the style of writing. We are enjoying our book discussion. THe gentleman is still so sharp but do to spinal stenosis he is paralyzed and its spreading to his upper limbs. He wants to get trough the series while he can still old his ipad. :(

anyway I'm a bit behind him and only 1/2 way trough the first book.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.