BodyMax tips.............

getnfit@38

Cathlete
For those of you that do BodyMax, can you tell me how you manage those lunges (the last circuit) that go off to each side of the step the long way?

I use to justify not being able to do them by saying I can't leap up that high, but now that doesn't work! I tried it this am and my legs STILL don't want to do this move? Cathe is shorter than I am, so realistically my legs should stretch to do this move, but they just DO NOT cooperate with me.

Any tips to prevent me from killing myself trying to perfect this move? Do you need extra propulsion? Shoes with springs attached? WHAT?

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

I'm gradually building into them. I tried doing it on a lower step, but it didn't help. What I'm doing now is not going off the side, but turning so that I am diagonal to the step--one foot goes off the back of the step and the other goes off the front (this makes the move narrower). Last time I did it, I did stick in a couple of "off the side" moves (easy to transfer from my stance to the regular one) and I was able to do them, but it took some extra effort that I usually don't have near the end of a workout LOL!

Donna -

(You are SO inspirational, BTW - loved you candidness in your story.)

I consider myself to be an advanced exerciser and I STILL can't do those things. Instead of putting my foot NEXT to the step, I put it BEHIND, so my reach doesn't have to be so long.

Trust me, the effectiveness of the move is not compromised one bit.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-02 AT 07:37PM (Est)[/font][p]I think Cathe is 5 ft 2

Donna - I can't do those lunges either. I just tell myself that my legs are too short! So I just do them like normal lunges of the breadth of the step rather than the length but I imagine that its the length. So I reach out as far as I can with my lunge while keeping my body centred. (Its kind of like Gin Miller telling you to pretend that that you are jumping over a step in Intense Moves). That way I get pretty winded and really feel the inner thigh working. Hope that helps.

Those lunges scare the heck out of me. I do them behind the step. I'm actually lunging wide enough but don't have the courage to actually use the step.

Cathe is petite (5'2" or 5'3"?). BodyMax was my first Cathe video & I correctly guessed that she had a gymnastics background as my jaw dropped toward the floor.

BodyMax is the perfect workout for a rainy Saturday!

Debra

I can do the lunges now, but when I first started this workout, it was difficult. Try doing it on the floor without the step or as someone else suggested lunge behind you instead of from side to side. Don't worry, you will get there.

Well I'm feeling much better about this! I thought I was somehow dysfunctional for not being able to get the hang of that move! I'll try the foot to the back of the step modification. I've been just doing regular sideways lunges, and IF I'm feeling a little energetic, I'll do them like the Intense Moves interval #8 with the 180 degree turn to them (I love that interval!). I figured I needed to make up some intensity because those lunges look like they really work you!
Thanks for the ideas! :)

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

One more idea-
Concentrate on pitching yourself sideways and not upward with every jump.

Notice where Cathe's foot lands each and every time: several inches away from the previous landing, so you're closer to that end of the step where you tap down.

It takes a lot out of you, but knowing that there are only *twelve* lunges per set helps too!

Right Connie!

I was going to post to Donna your suggestion, but was trying to think how to word it. You said it perfectly. Try to go MORE sideways then upward! It wasn't until I figured the foot placement that I could do that move without feeling like I was going to kill myself! On days I am just too tired, I use the other suggestion of lunging more behind the step. Connie, I was thinking there were 15 lunges and step behind on 16??? It's been while since I did it so I am probably wrong. Have fun Donna!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Right Connie!

I think the magic number is twelve! But I am not always right (my DH is though! LOL!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.