body pump safety? soloflex/bowflex?

angie

Cathlete
I recently injured my back while lifting a barbell to the bodypump video. I had terribly painful muscle spasms for a few days and basically could not walk. It's now been 3 weeks and I am moving around but I haven't been able to work out, which makes me miserable! I miss doing Cathe's tapes more than I would have imagined! Has anybody had such an injury before and if so, how long did it take you to heal?

All of this has made me think of the safety of lifting free weights. I started looking into the bowflex and soloflex machines. I am a devoted stepper so dishing out more than $1000 for an exercise machine is very foreign to me! Anybody have any advice? THANKS!!!!

My thoughts

I don't have much advice on the injury, except to give yourself plenty of time to recover in order to avoid the risk of re-injury. When you do return to activity, be sure to start slowly and work back up gradually.

We purchased a Bowflex about a year and a half ago. It is a great piece of equipment, but I sold it about 9 months later. I didn't have any fun with it and I dreaded the workouts, which in turn made me pretty inconsistent. I will take the PS series any day over lifting with a machine. I have seen more results from MIS and the PS series also.

This is obviously my own personal experience.

I think that there are safety concerns with any kind of weight lifting. Proper form is key, whether you are using free weights or weight equipment. You can just as easily injure yourself with a Bowflex/Soloflex.

One more piece of advice. You might consider seeing a physician. If it has been 3 weeks and you are still in a good degree of pain, you might have injured yourself more than you think.

Best Wishes,

Tina

machines

If I were to choose between the two machines, I'd definitely go with the bowflex. Rather than locking you into one movement pattern, like Soloflex does, the machine allows you to find the "groove" that fits your body best, therefore presenting less risk of injury (If you are doing a shoulder press, for example, and have to follow the movement that Soloflex locks you into, it may not be the best for your particular anatomy, and may cause joint problems). I also like the fact that, like using dumbbells, you can exercise each side separately, and aren't relying on your stronger side to do the work for your weaker side. Not knowing exactly how you got the injury (during what move exactly?), I can only imagine that it was probably due to bad form, which is common. You might want to pick up a book on exercise form (like the ones mentioned in the thread in the "ask Cathe" section), to make sure you're exercising safely. Videos just don't have enough time to give all the safety and form tips necessary.

Soloflex is great, but...

Angie,

I agree, first, that you should get into see a doctor to get some advice on your injury. It sounds serious.

I got my Soloflex for about $400 on eBay (online auction) and I love it. I do mix up my workouts, doing some free-weights (barbell & dumbell) on one day, Soloflex the next. I think I have made great strength gains with it and I progress with heavier and heavier weights every time.

I think that Soloflex is very "safe" because it uses rubber weight straps for resistance instead of heavy plates. But I have to admit, I started using it while at my peak strength baseline, thanks to Cathe's Pure Strength series. I think that lifting the barbell arm (13 lbs, awkward shape) to change positions is fairly strenous and putting the leg extension piece on or the butterfly attachment is time-consuming and VERY strenous.

In other words, you could hurt yourself using a Soloflex if you're not careful just as you can with any other piece of exercise equipment.

I have friends ask me about it, and I actually discourage them from purchasing new exercise equipment for the purpose of motivating themselves or to protect themselves from injury. You have to go into this type of major purchase with strong exercise habits and goals or you just won't use it. You have to learn proper form with any type of equipment to avoid injury.

So I think it's better to start out with free weights and a good set of video tapes that focuses on proper form first -- I told my best friend to come try out my Soloflex and hold off buying one until she had completed 4 months of strength training at least 3-4 days a week before taking the next step. She still can't get a regular routine going and agrees now that the last thing she wants is a "giant doorstop" Soloflex to make her feel guilty about spending the money but not devoting the time right now.

Having said that, I have to agree, though, I have done a similar workout - the PowerFlex video by York Barbell and I think that some of the moves are too fast to do them safely with heavy weights, so I lighten up or use a slower pace. Somehow these workouts seem to cause twinges for me, too. I think I'm lifting too heavy. I also wonder how effective this type of workout is if you end up using lighter weights and few reps.

You could check out the website www.videofitness.com for reviews of exercise tapes that match your interests and your fitness level. Take the time to build your strength. Try out someone else's Soloflex or Bowflex in their home, and ask someone who uses it regularly to give you a demo.

Don't settle for the sales-person pitch at a sporting goods store. Go home, think about it some more, write up an exercise rotation that will build the strength you think you need to really maximize that piece of equipment. Then set your sights on a date 4 months in the future as your future purchase day .. "Soloflex or Bowflex or Parabody D-Day".

Let me know how you do!

Dawn P.

injury

Angie,

As a physician, I third the advice on getting medical attention for your injury ASAP. Of course, get a medical OK before working out again. If your general physician is not as helpful as you would like, consider a sports medicine MD or an orthopedist.

Also, consider working out in a gym or with an experienced weight lifter for a while so that someone can WATCH your form and comment. I don't go to a gym anymore. I think home exercise is great. However, there are some advantages to being with other exercisers. Of course, a certified personal trainer would be best (but not always financially feasible).

Feel better!

Irene

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Dear Tina, Irene, Dawn, and Kathyrn

Thank you for all of your advice/comments. My back is feeling better but I will definitely see my doctor before I start exercising again.

I should explain how I got my injury. I had been using dumbells for about a year and half. (I used an old tape of Jane Fonda's and also one by Kathy Smith). In September I bought a barbell and some weights (the bodypump video came along with them) mainly to be able to do Cathe's Bodymax video. So I was using the weights for a good two months before I hurt myself. I think that on that particular day, I just did overdid it. I did Cathe's Interval Max and then I decided to do the bodypump video. So I was already tired and I am sure that I just had bad form. I am also sure that it was the lower back exercise - deb (sp?) lift that did it.

Thanks for your advice I am going to wait on a bowflex or soloflex. I have most of Cathe's step tapes and usually do about 5 of them a week so perhaps I should just get her PS series. I love working out at home, and see myself as very committed to my exercising. I am afraid that if I joined a gym, I wouldn't go!

Thanks again and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you!

Angie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.