Body for life question

Shannon

Hi everyone!

I know that the body for life program has been discussed before. I wanted to see what everyone thought about it, before I purchased the book/tape. Is there a way to find the archived discussions on body for life? If not, can anyone tell me whether they recommend the program and how it fits in with cathe tapes?

Thanks!

Body For Life

Shannon,

I really like this program OR at least the eating 6 times a day. I do not think it is necessary to use the EAS products (although the shakes and bars taste great -- they are quite expensive). The important thing to do is to drink the water, eat small meals and exercise.

I like to mix up the exercise. I use BFL exercises some days and Cathe's (I find following a tape is more motivating). The bottom line here is that the program works if you are consistant.

Good luck!

Susan

BFL too

Hi Shannon and Susan,
I'm following the program too. I am on my fourth week. I follow mostly the food program and I don't use the shakes because they are too expensive and full of chemicals. I prefer to make my own, there are lots of recipes on their website and magazine. You just have to be organized and make them ahead of time.

As far as the exercises I do the PS series once each week and the extra work Cathe mentioned in the "arm definition" post. I also do IMAX and run as two of my aerobic workouts and my third is a workout of my choice that is ususally high intensity, like MIC or Body Max.

I find it easier to follow Cathe in her videos to make sure that I perform the exercises correctly and that I stretch well at the end. I started the strength training on my own and felt what BFL recommended was too intense and that I may injure myself. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Also I have a very limited time to workout, between 4-6am, before my troops start the day
happy.gif
If I don't get my workout in by then I won't get it in at all. I've tried it.

I am seeing results. I didn't weigh myself before the program because I am trying to get away from the scale (former WW). I just took my measurements and my "before" picture. I haven't taken my measurements since I started but I have noticed my clothes fitting better and I am seeing some new muscles in my arms!
happy.gif

If you decide to start it, just take it one day at a time. I stumbled thru the first 2 weeks but feel like I am settled into it now.

let us know what you do!
Joyce

BLF

Shannon,
I have completed the BFL challenge twice. You can borrow the book from the library. I think it's a great program. I run 5 days a week and use cathe's strength training videos. ( I think cathe's video's add alot of variety when it comes to strength training) I use the myoplex shakes. but you don't have to, I just don't have alot of time in the kitchen to prepare meals. I buy the myoplex for $28.00 and I know that can be expensive. Im sure the book will give you a better insight into the program and if you call them they will send you free videos and information regarding the program. (The number is 1-800-297-9776).

Ange

BFL

I have to throw in my two cents about this topic as I have been following the BFL eating plan and doing Cathe tapes religiously for the last 9 weeks. Although I would never actually consider myself "overweight", I have been on the horrid diet/binge rollercoaster ever since I can remember...losing and gaining the same ten-fifteen pounds for the last ten years. The BFL eating program has completely cured me of that. Eating every two/three hours and increasing my protein intake keeps my blood sugar and energy levels at a nice even keel PLUS I get one day to enjoy all the naughty foods I love. (Life without McDonalds french fries is not the life for me.) Quite honestly, the BFL eating program has been perfect for me. (Drinking lots of water and keeping a journal have also been big keys to my success)

Add Cathe to the equation and I'm telling you, I have NEVER seen results like these. I just bought a pair of KIDS size 14 jeans at the Gap and my fiancee said that he's never seen me looking so lean and cut. I've been working out for YEARS (FIRM tapes, Karen Voight, Tae-Bo, running...even the NYC marathon two years ago) but I just recently discovered Cathe. I feel like I'm on a rocketship towards my goals. I've got 8 weeks until my wedding and have NO doubt that I will be walking down the aisle in the best shape of my life. I can't recommend the Cathe BFL combination enough.

Sorry to be long winded, but I'm so excited about these results...I wanted to share. Thanks for listening!

Thanks Everyone!

I am definitely going to try the BFL Cathe combination. I am excited about starting! Thanks for all your advice and tips!

Congratulations!

on your upcoming wedding
happy.gif
and the results you are experiencing with the program. I am curious, what is the routine you follow?
Joyce

Thanks Joyce!

I appreciate your well wishes...very sweet of you! As far as my "routine" goes, I've been alternating heavy weight days with high intensity cardio days. I try to keep it as varied as possible so my body stays challenged.

Since I keep a record of workouts in my journal, I can give you my routine from the last two weeks.

Mon- PS B/B/A
Tues - Interval Max
Wed - PS Legs/Abs
Thurs - MIC
Fri - PS C/S/T
Sat - Run
Sun - OFF

Mon - MIS
Tues - Cardio Step Mix (FIRM)
Wed - BODYMAX
Thur - Tae-Bo
Fri - All of wedding tape
Sat - Run
Sun - OFF

Honestly, I think the main reason I am having so much success (besides the fact that Cathe tapes RULE) is because I've been giving every ounce of energy to each workout. Focusing on the intensity is really what is helping get those RESULTS. When I lift...I lift as heavy as I possibly can and when I do aerobics...I suffer through all the plyo's, jumps and scissors. I really give it my all. I must give credit to Cathe, because she pushes me like no other instructor on earth. I feels like she's been my personal trainer...pushing me to my limit. She is simply the ULTIMATE!

Oh...and I must admit, though we don't want to hear it...the clean diet is also a HUGE factor in success. Following the BFL plan, I eat every 2-3 hours, upped my protein intake (to help build those muscles) and I've been keeping those yummy starchy carbs at bay. Also...water, water, water and more water. Please keep in mind, that I have one cheat day a week when I don't exercise and I eat whatever I want. Those days are pure heaven, and I use them as my reward for being so good during the week. That recharges my battery and then I'll refocus and hit the next week even harder...increasing weights, running faster, jumping higher and keeping the diet sqeaky clean.

Like I mentioned in the earlier post, I've been exercising for YEARS and the last 9 weeks have produced results like I have never seen before...so it's been worth the effort. Sorry for the looooong response, but I couldn't help myself!

Forget the book!

Or else just check it out from the library. Very LITTLE of the book offers actual information about the program. It's mostly "inspiring" stories and hype from Bill. I found the pages describing the routines to be highly inadequate, except for the pictorial descriptions of the actual exercises at the end--and these you can get from many other sources. You can learn all you need from this book in one afternoon.

As for the diet, you can find a similar--and perhaps healthier and cheaper--version of this eating plan on the FIRM Calendar. In fact, I think theirs is better. I have added flaxseed meal daily, and increased my protein intake using a soy-based powder I bought VERY cheap from a mail order source. I mix it with orange juice or skim milk, and it tastes just fine. I use a few vitamin and mineral supplements also, based on my age (menopausal) and other nutritrional needs. I'm really enjoying the "five small meal per day" program as a lifetime commitment, not a temporary fix. But the jury is still out as to the correct balance (for me) of carbs and proteins.

I use Cathe PS tapes, FIRM, and other tapes I enjoy instead of the BFL workouts. I'm sure I won't see the "hardbody" results of his cover models, but I'm on a program that keeps me motivated and committed for the long haul. Best wishes whatever you decide is right for you!

Hey candori

I'm getting married in a few weeks too, Sept. 9th. And I've been doing the BFL plan this summer to get in the best shape possible. I'm in week 6 now, I think, and I've really noticed a difference, especially in my thighs (a big problem spot for me).

I've been following his exercise plan almost exactly, except when I go to my mom's on the weekends for wedding planning, I use videos. This gives me a little variety. I've also turned into an AM exerciser - never thought I'd do that!

The eating plan has been great only at first, it was too much. I drink the myoplex shakes a couple of times a week (one per day) but they are so big. I love eating more protein and eating many small meals - as someone else said, it really keeps the blood sugar on an even keel and I just feel so good. I've only lost a couple of pounds but then I really don't need to lose more than 5 or so pounds.

I've preorder Cathe's express series so I think I'll start using those when I get them. I think the bfl plan is a good general plan but there are plenty of ways to tweak it to meet your own needs.

Hi Kathy!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You are only a few weeks before me (I'm the 23rd.) If I'm getting excited, you must be even more so! It certainly is an exciting time, isn't it? I've got some butterflies already floating around in my stomach.

Also congrats on the success you are having with BFL. I can't sing it's praises enough and I agree with you about tweaking it for your own lifestyle.

Here's my question to you. HOW did you become a morning exerciser??? I set my alarm to get up for a workout nearly every morning and I end up hitting the snooze button for an hour and a half. I'm pathetic in that department and would LOVE a few tips on how you manage to do it. It's the only part of the program that I can't seem to handle.

Once again...congrats and good luck. It's going to be a beautiful day and I'm certain you will be a beautiful bride.

I would love to know too!

I find way too many excuses not to do exercise in the afternoon & evenings! Mornings are definitely the best time for me to exercise, but i just hate leaving that warm bed for my cold step!! How do you do it???

AM workouts

I'm not Kathy but..
The hardest part of getting up is taking that first step and actually getting up when the alarm goes off. Once you get up and get workout clothes on your ready! For me, if I don't get in the AM workout I just won't be able to fit it in the rest of the day. That's one motivator.

Some other things that work for me...put my alarm clock across the room so you have to get up to turn it off. It has a real annoying sound to it too.

Sometimes I set it about 1/2 hour before I actually want to get up then I hit the snooze knowing that I still have some warm bed time before I get up.

I read this on the BFLBabes website...Tape your before picture on your alarm clock
wink.gif
How about that for motivation!!!

Just my $.02!
Joyce

I started a tweaked BFL this week

I started on Monday. I am doing the eating plan as described in the book but I cannot fathom doing exercises at home without a video. It's just a preference...I find it more motivating. I use FIRM and Cathe, although right now I am on a FIRM rotation. I was wondering, do any of you take flaxseed oil??? Holy moly!!!! That stuff has 14 gr. of fat per teaspoon and 130 calories. Is it so beneficial that I shouldn't worry about the fat/cal??? I use the Myoplex shakes and I will also be incorporating the Betagen and Phenfree when I get it in the mail. Best of luck to all of you!

weddings and morning exercise

Yes, I'm definitely getting excited, especially since everyone has been rsvp'ing and calling about the wedding! I feel like a little kid who can't wait for Christmas - I can't wait for the weekend to get here!! But I do have plenty to do before then so I guess it better not come too quickly.

As for how I became a morning exerciser - it's kind of a mystery to me. I've tried several times before and never been able to do it. I'm a notorious snooze button hitter and could be a professional sleeper so getting out of bed can be a real effort for me. But here's how it happened.

1. About a month before I started BFL, I had started doing my Tues. and Thursday weight workouts (PS upper body tapes) in the morning. I needed more time in the afternoons to work on those invitations so I wanted to get some workouts done in the morning. I figured I could handle slow weight workouts. This was good because on Tues. and Thurs. I would think - well, at least I don't have to get up tomorrow.

2. Then 2 coworkers suggested that we do the body for life program for the summer. When I read about the benefits of AM exercise, I decided to try doing the 20 minutes runs in the morning. I couldn't believe how great I felt all day after my morning runs and I could tell my metabolism was kicking up because I was getting hungrier. So that was an incentive to keep going!

Now, I should say, don't do all my workouts in the morning. On Mondays, a do an afternoon weight workout and on the weekends, it varies. My day off varies but usually falls on Friday or Saturday.

So I guess what worked for me was starting out slow and starting out with shorter workouts - so I didn't have to get up much earlier. When Cathe's express series comes out, I'm going to try to do those in the morning to ease my way into longer morning workouts.

A few other tips that work for me:
- Set alarm for 20-30 minutes before I need to get up so I can satisfy my need to "snooze."
- Set up the exercise area before I go to bed, so I feel guilty if I lay in bed knowing that my workout room is waiting for me.
- Drink a little extra water before I go to bed - nothing gets me out of bed better than having to go to the bathroom!

I don't know what's going to happen when the weather gets cold - I hate getting out of bed when it's cold! And we don't have an automatic timer for our heater. But I do love the extra energy I have from working out in the morning (and from the increase protein I'm eating) and I like the extra time I have in the afternoon - those are real incentives once you get started.

Good luck! Believe me, I know what a struggle this can be. I know the wedding has been a motivator for me, mainly in that I need more time after work to deal with wedding things.

And good luck with your wedding! I'm sure it will be great!

Hey Shannon!

Go to the "ask Cathe" forum and look for the thread titled: Body fat measurement. A bunch of us have been talking about the BFL challenge and other interesting things about it. A cool website there for you too that explians why the BFL program works. Deb D

Flaxseed oil - yes

Yes, it is so beneficial that eating plans like BFL's and the Firm's will tell you to use it and not even count it in your daily calories. The omega 3 fats in flaxseed oil are believed to help your heart, digestion and metabolism (and I think there is medical research that supports this). In addition, what I've read in conjunction with BFL is that your body doesn't use the calories for energy but rather for metabolic function, so that's why they suggest not counting it in your calories. Interesting, huh? I use a tbsp. of ground flax seeds daily, but am switching to oil soon, since it takes more of the seeds to get the amount of omega 3s you need.

EAS-- sketchy customer service

I fell for BFL- hook line and sinker! I did it to try to get me out of a rut, and it did exactly the opposite. I gained weight immediately, was really bloated and saw minimal results. I've been working out long enough so that I know when I have to be realistic with myself (i.e., you're gaining weight because you eat too much) or whether it's something I can't control (i.e., not too sure what's in Myoplex anyway). I have seen some people who had excellent results, about 1/3 of my friends who try the program like it.
The one thing that concerned me, and I don't know if anyone else had this problem-- is that when you call the EAS customer service with your problems, the first thing they tell you, that they keep repeating is "don't go off the products." They hype how nutritionally sound they are. I found this to be too self-promoting and not in the best interest of genuinely concerned customers.

For Elyse- BLF weight gain

Elsye,
I understand what your saying regarding weight gain on the BLF program. I completed the challenge twice and got very good results. However I found with my first challenge I had a problem with losing weight also but I did some research and talked with my trainer. Are you taking betagen? If so remember this,creatine holds water in the muscle and causes the body (female) to bloat and if you weight yourself your weight will go up but it's usually water gain. I only used it 2 weeks of my first challenge and never again after that. I only use the myoplex shakes (lite) and simply protein but other than that I get my protein from whole foods and once I started doing that the water weight came off. I hope this helps somewhat.

Ange

am workouts

I am curious.. did you find that the am workouts (on an empty stomach) really increase the fat burning potential as the book says it will? I have read so many conflicting theories on this one.
If I was CERTAIN that cardio in the am would make the world of difference, you bet I would summon up the strength to bounce off the walls!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.