Body fat percentage?

UNLVCrjChick

Cathlete
Hello,

Does anyone know what a good body fat percentage range is for a 30 year old female? Mine is 26%, and I work out 6-7 days per week (usually to Cathe).

Female Body Fat percentages

It depends who you ask and what you mean by "a good body fat percentage". The World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health has published the following guidelines regarding Body Fat for women.

Females:20-40 yrs:
Under 21% - is what they call underfat
21-33% - Healthy range
33-39% - Overweight
Over 39% - Obese

Another thing to consider is how accurate the method was used to obtain the measurement is. For example, my Tanita scale gives a different reading from my Accu-measure caliper. In fact my Tanita scale will give a different reading 2 hours later, even if I haven't eaten anything, so I make sure I use it at the same time each use. Since they are not the most accurate forms of obtaining body fat %, I only use their measurements to see if I'm staying the same or improving with a a given program.

Here's a neat article that describes different methods.
Experts rate the best and worst in body-fat measurement devices.

Jean

Thank you both! I used my new HoMedics scale, which also measures skeletal and muscle composition, calculates BMR and measures water %. It was expensive ($100). I have a hand-held Omron body fat monitor, which measures me around 27.2%. I'm thinking the scale is more accurate.

There is usually about a 1-2% margin of error when it comes to at home body fat scales and bio electrical impedance devices (handheld). Ideally a healthy body fat for a woman is 25%. Less than that is good too as long as you are proactive about exercise and good nutrition. That means your body is only one quarter fat, which keeps heart disease and cancer as less of a risk:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.