body fat percentage

lizzyc

Cathlete
I am 5'7" weigh 140lbs. and my body fat percentage is 34%(according to my body fat scale)
I would like to lower my body fat, but I'm not sure what is a good % for me.
Can someone let me know how my numbers look and how to lower them.
Thanks,
Lizzy

Here is some information someone else sent to me when I was asking questions - its pieced together but it might help some:

<quote>
According to my ACE charts, here is a breakdown by category of bodyfat
percentages for women:

Essential Fat: 10-13%
Athlete: 14-20%
Fitness: 21-24%
Healthy: 25-31%
Obese: 32% and higher

Now, in terms of measuring bodyfat, the scale method is one of the least
accurate methods; calipers one of the most accurate. If you can go back
to the sports clinic and have your bodyfat measured with calipers you
might find it is actually lower than 27% and quite possibly between 18
and 22%. Of course the important thing is to use the same method to
track progress over time. Hydration levels can affect scale bodyfat
readings as well as the consumption of caffeine, sodium, and large
meals.

As you drop weight, as long as you are continuing to build muscle, your
bodyfat percentage will drop. People who diet without strength training
can actually lose scale weight and have a healthy BMI (body mass index
which is a height/weight formula) but end up with a higher percentage of
bodyfat (because they have lost lean muscle tissue). I do, however,
work with a couple of women who are naturally lean due to great
genetics. Their bodyfat is in the athlete category yet they are by no
means athletic or strong.

I found that as I lost weight and gained muscle my body fat percentage
dropped, but it takes a long time to build muscle. The scales are so
affected by hydration levels that I hesitate to use it as a guide
especially if you are on it every single day or even every week. I
re-check people every 6 months or so with the calipers, maybe 4 if they
are training consistently. There are calipers you can buy (can't recall
the name but can find out) where you pinch yourself and only in one
area. They are touted as accurate but I look at the numbers as
benchmarks to improve upon, not to believe as gospel. <end quote>

HTH some!

Punky

I had my body fat% measured three(!) times in one week:
first time on the scales in the gym I always use, which showed that my bodyfat had gone down from 26 to 24.5% in the past 3 months.:) I was really pleased with that until half an hour later when my fitness instructor measured my bodyfat with calipers, which showed that it had gone down from 27% in May to only 26% :(
The third time was only two days later by a doctor, again with calipers that showed my bodyfat% was an enormous 29.9% ;(

Now, what should I believe? The scales I have been using for the past 6 months? The instructor using the calipers? Or the doctor, also using calipers?

On the other hand, my weight didn't go down at all, though my clothes fit better.

Maybe I just shouldn't have my bodyfat% measured at all.

Dutchie

Body fat, schmody fat

My question to you, Dutchie, how do you feel & look in your clothing? I'm 5'6" and weigh 145. I have used calipers & the measuring method to get my percentage of body fat & it has always been around 25-26%. Punky is right the calipers are one of the better ways of measuring body fat.

That said, I think you might be heading in the right direction with your thinking. So, why care what our body fat percentage is as long as you look & feel good in your clothes!

Something to keep in mind is that when a body builder or fitness competitor gets down to say a 15% body fat level, she doesn't do it for an extended period of time. She does it for just a few weeks before and only days after competition. When the competition season is over they generally gain a little body fat back. The reason? Because keeping your body fat levels that low can kill your thyroid!

There is a woman that used to post here, CompetitionBound also known as AmyFit30, who can attest to what I am saying. She competed one time & actually came in 2nd place. When she was preparing to do another competition, she decided to have a physical just to be safe. Her doc ran blood tests & found that her thyroid was messed up. He advised she not diet the way she would need to for competion because he felt that was the cause of her problems.

I can also tell you from visiting Cathe a few times, even she doesn't look like she does in her videos! When I went to see her this summer before she got into her routine for pre-filming, she looked INCREDIBLE but no where near as cut as she does in the videos. We talked about filming preparation & she said she does loose body fat just prior to filming.

So, my advice to anyone that is "obsessed" with what percentage their body fat is--GET OVER IT! (that's said with humor!) Be more concerned with how you look in your clothes, or even how you look naked! If you are happy with the look, don't go crazy trying to find out what your body fat percentage is.

RE: Body fat, schmody fat

Hi Deborah,

I look pretty good in my clothes, if I say so myself. Others told me to stop loosing weight. When I tell them I haven't lost an ounce, they don't believe me.

When I look in the mirror naked, I can see muscles everywhere, my legs, my upper back, my arms, my chest, my calves. I can even see my abs, you know, my obliques and where your abs are halved, in the middle (hope I explained that well). My abs (actually every bit of me) have never ever looked this good in my life.

Given my muscle definition I actually thought my bodyfat% would be less.

Guess I should go with how I look and the compliments I get. Even a remark like "oh my, you shouldn't workout so much or you'll be as muscular as a man" by a colleague who's never worked out in her life is a great compliment. Not that I know any men with muscle definition in my age group (42) :p :p

BTW, I'mm 5,5 and 125pounds

Dutchie

Just wanted to chime in. (Deborah so glad to see you are back)
I'm glad Deborah posted this information. I think we do become 'obsessed' at times when we look at different ones in fitness.
Like Deborah mentioned with Cathe, do they look like the video in real life? To keep up that kind of training they do for competition or filming, would not be healthy. Granted they look great in real life, but not like they do while in training.
For example I was looking at Cory Everson's site the other day. She is known as Miss Biceps. Yet her schedule for competition is 5 hours a day for weight training and cardio. Her calories are a mere 1200 and she takes extra supplements. I'm only 5'3 and weigh in at less than 110 and no way can I keep my calories down to that level, without getting sick, with all the Cathe workouts that I do.
The pictures in the magazines have been posed with the best angle, the best light, no food in the stomach etc. Cameras add about 10 pounds so one has to lose enough weight to compensate for that as well.
There is so much inaccuracies in the measuring of body fat. As mentioned, the time of day, the hydration etc.
The eye is a teriffic guage + the way you feel in your clothes, just like Deborah said.

Do you suppose we worry too much about numbers? I saw on TV yesterday, where some gyms and aerobic centers are taking down the mirrors. They find people are so obsessed by what they see in the mirror that that can't enjoy the workout.
My point is that a person can see themselves what they need to work on. Body fat percentages are just a guesstament. My 1/2 cents. ;-)

Hey..
What happens if you like your body naked but look like crap in clothes??

Amazingly, I actually look BETTER naked. What is up with that? Wrong clothes or distorted image?:):)

In Arizona, California and Nevada, they have a mobile fat testing lab that does the hydrostatic body fat testing for $50. Pricey, but lately I have been doing it about once per year just for kicks. I will do it again on Tuesday of next week. Wish me luck! This is the site...
www.getdunked.com

Janice

Janice......

You stop wearing clothes???? (is that the right answer....there might a law against this currently, but that could change, you never know. :p :p :p :p ).

Just for the record Janice....I get a kick out of your posts, you have this honest personality that shines through and I needed that today....keep posting, but keep your clothes on because I'd hate to hear that your behind bars wearing nothing!!!! (but looking fantastic).

Briee

RE: Janice......

Hi everyone,

I just want to chime and note that if you are tracking bodyfat via calipers, be sure to have the same person do the pinching each time. We try to be as accurate as possible when we pinch, but each fitness professional will grasp a little bit differently. Some are afraid of hurting a client and might not pinch as much, and others who want to be as accurate as possible might end up grabbing too much. Also, a person with thicker skin is going to be harder to pinch than a person with thinner skin, and this has affected readings as well. I have run across many a clent with skin that is so thick it is hard to pull away from the muscle.

Just an FYI!

-Roe

RE: Janice......

Hey Roe,

I didn't realize that it was so complicated!

I hope you don't mind me sharing some information up above - that actually came from you :)

See, your good spreads everywhere!

Body fat!

;-) When doing the pinch, caliber method, would the measurements be affected with someone who has stretched, loose abdominal skin from c-sections, large babies, weight gain? It seems to me if the abdominal skin were tighter the measurements would be lower and vice versa. ;-)

RE: Body fat!

Hi Punky! Not at all. I am glad to help (and am still very busy at work getting out end of month reports, etc.) Will stay in touch!

Lisa - women are pinched at the supraillium, a diagonal skinfold taken just above the illiac crest (think oblique area - more at the side of the waist). I have never been pregnant but do have some extra skin below the navel from years of gaining and losing weight. It is tight, but it is definitely skin and not fat. Most of the stretched skin I see from pregnancies is below the navel versus the side of the waist. As long as the readings go down and my clients are becoming more defined, losing inches and feeling better, I try to distract them away from the bodyfat number.

-Roe

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.