Bob Harper New DVDs - Skinny Rules Workout DVDs

workout

Cathlete
Hello, Bob Harper has some new DVDs; I believe they just came out 1 week ago. Anybody thinking of trying them out - they look pretty good.

Of course, Cathe is #1 - always for me!!!

I love Bob Harper's newest workouts (that aren't affiliated with Biggest Loser). They are super tough. I looked these workouts up and there is no description of them which is irritating! I know his new book gives readers crossfit type workouts, so I'm wondering if these fall along those lines--since they have the same title.

I'll probably get them! Though I really wish there was a description somewhere.

I love Bob Harper's newest workouts (that aren't affiliated with Biggest Loser). They are super tough. I looked these workouts up and there is no description of them which is irritating! I know his new book gives readers crossfit type workouts, so I'm wondering if these fall along those lines--since they have the same title.

I'll probably get them! Though I really wish there was a description somewhere.

Did you see the Trailer?

Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser | Fan Site | Store

Oh man! Just when I've told myself no more new workout dvds (except for Cathe, of course) here comes Bob...and these look like just what I want - intense, short (20 min) workouts I can do before work. Sigh. I am so easy.

I got them for something to do after one of my 13 hour shifts..... 3 moves done 12-15 times and a rest.....I've been hardcore for over 30 years,, NO PROBLEM......HA..... My rock hard legs are still aching ion day3!!!!! I'm now a Harper fan and definitely adding him in with Cathe!!! I understand what he meant about "drinking the cross fit kool ade"!

I got them for something to do after one of my 13 hour shifts..... 3 moves done 12-15 times and a rest.....I've been hardcore for over 30 years,, NO PROBLEM......HA..... My rock hard legs are still aching ion day3!!!!! I'm now a Harper fan and definitely adding him in with Cathe!!! I understand what he meant about "drinking the cross fit kool ade"!

I've been doing Bob harpers DVD for 2 weeks now & I'm loving it! I would definitely get his skinny rules DVD.

I ordered Inside Out now after FOUR DAYS of Inner thigh agony! How has he flown under the radar so long????

I got his Skinny Rules workouts and did Cardio WOD 1 on Thursday as my doubles workout. I have also previewed the other 11 WODs. I LOVE them. Though short, they look super tough. I will say I hate the warm up. The WODs are all listed separately with no warm up, cool down or stretch. The Warm up is listed at the top. It is the exact same warm up on each disk. There is no cool down/stretch.

What I will do in the future, when I use the WODs as a double or my only workout for the day, I will substitute one of Cathe's warm ups from Xtrain (probably All Out--it is the shortest) and also finish up with one of her cool down/stretch (again--All Out--together the warm up/cool down would add 8 minutes to workout time). And when I use the WODs as an add on, I wouldn't need a warm up of course.

The WODs are also listed twice. For instance, for WOD 1, you can watch with the breakdown first, or just go straight to the WOD. The Breakdowns are all 2:30 to 4 minutes. I would recommend them the first time at least. He gives excellent form pointers and he also describes how the WOD will be done. They are all done differently. On one of the Core WODs he has you hold a high plank for about 3 minutes. :confused: I'm a little scared of that one--those 3 minutes are at the end of the WOD! Several times his crew seem like they are about to die near the end of the WODs (not just that one--several of them!).

Even though Cardio WOD 1 was tough, it was short. So in the future, I will do 2 WODs as my doubles workout.

I'm pretty excited about these workouts. I love Bob's workouts--they are always so tough and effective. I also got ZCut Power Cardio Series. Her 3 disks are set up exactly like Bob's Skinny Rules WODs--except Zuzka's are straight HIIT workouts.

Thanks for the review. That's one thing I don't like about BH's not enough warm up & cool down but otherwise it's a great wo!

Update

I've done quite a few of the WODs in this series now and WOW. These are so tough for something so short. I am impressed. I am doing 2 WODs at a time, but they are brutal. Cardo WOD 1 was tough, but not horrible. Cardio WOD 2? OMG. I was WIPED out by the end of it. And strength WOD 1? OMG. I did that yesterday and my lower body is SO SORE. I've done the first 3 Core WODs--they aren't killer, but definitely effective. I am scared of today's doubles workout: Cardio WOD 3 and Strength WOD 2. :confused:

Definitely money well spent! I will add that for people who do not enjoy repition--avoid these. They are very repetitive. But you are doing them for such a short amount of time (Strength WOD 1 was only 15 minutes--but I managed to do 13 rounds in that 15 minutes) it doesn't bother me.

Hi Jengollf, that's great information on the new Bob Harper DVDs - thanks. I have one question, is there a lot of high impact moves? I honestly need to avoid high impact workouts but these DVDs looks so tempting. Anyway, any information would be so helpful. Thanks so much.

Hi Jengollf, that's great information on the new Bob Harper DVDs - thanks. I have one question, is there a lot of high impact moves? I honestly need to avoid high impact workouts but these DVDs looks so tempting. Anyway, any information would be so helpful. Thanks so much.

It varies. So, of the ones I've done so far, there is very little impact. He does do a lot of burpees, mostly in the cardio workouts, but also on Strength WOD 4. However, he also has a modifier who, so far at least, has modified the high impact moves to low impact. For instance, in Cardio WOD 2 there was Goblet jump squats. She just did Goblet squats. The Strength WOD 1 I did yesterday was all low impact--and yet it torched me. I would compare impact level of Strength WOD 1 to Afterburn--but harder. Of course it is 1/4 of the length of Afterburn, but I couldn't sustain one of Bob's WODs for an hour! No possible without recovery breaks!

It also looks like Cardio WOD 3 (one of my doubles today) has tuck jumps and jump squats. I will post later today and let you know if he offers modifications. But other than those 2 Cardio WODs, I am not seeing anything higher impact other than the burpees. I watched the breakdown for every WOD before I did any of them and recorded the exercises, so I at least know what to expect before I do them! the Core WODs are all low impact and it looks like of the Strength WODs, they are all low impact except WOD 4 which has the burpees.

Well it sounds like I may have to purchase these!!! They sound like something I can do and still get a great workout. You've been so kind to give me such great information - looking forward to hearing about Cardio WOD 3. Appreciate your reviews on these DVDs. :)

It varies. So, of the ones I've done so far, there is very little impact. He does do a lot of burpees, mostly in the cardio workouts, but also on Strength WOD 4. However, he also has a modifier who, so far at least, has modified the high impact moves to low impact. For instance, in Cardio WOD 2 there was Goblet jump squats. She just did Goblet squats. The Strength WOD 1 I did yesterday was all low impact--and yet it torched me. I would compare impact level of Strength WOD 1 to Afterburn--but harder. Of course it is 1/4 of the length of Afterburn, but I couldn't sustain one of Bob's WODs for an hour! No possible without recovery breaks!

It also looks like Cardio WOD 3 (one of my doubles today) has tuck jumps and jump squats. I will post later today and let you know if he offers modifications. But other than those 2 Cardio WODs, I am not seeing anything higher impact other than the burpees. I watched the breakdown for every WOD before I did any of them and recorded the exercises, so I at least know what to expect before I do them! the Core WODs are all low impact and it looks like of the Strength WODs, they are all low impact except WOD 4 which has the burpees.

No problem! I love spreading the word about great workouts. Cardio WOD 3 was very tough. The moves were high impact but he had a modifier doing the move low impact for everything except tuck jumps. For that she just did a lower impact jump.

Strength WOD 2 wasn't as intense as WOD 1. It still tired me out but not like 1 did. It was all low impact. I also did it after Cardio WOD 3 and it was easier than the cardio WOD. I liked them both tho. They went together nicely. These are great doubles/add on workouts!

Up date.....ugh....the snatch moves and quick paced weights - and I'm sure I went too heavy - wonked elbow (which had tendonitis and cortisone several months ago)......Did his Inside out Cardio and it was tough....and hurt...but I didn't burn any more calories than I do with Cathe's Cross Low impact and To the Max and the other one...or the new set......so I think for my joints' sake, I"m sticking with Cathe and her evolving style that still packs a punch but it friendlier to the joints......Having said that, Bob's stuff is still excellent!

I just previewed the workouts on all 3 discs, they look like they'll kick my butt! Can't wait to try them!! I definitely will need to start with lower weights until I get the hang of some of the moves.

Thank-you for your reviews! They are very helpful (and very enabling :eek:) Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts about these workouts!

- sarah

I'm not one to stick closely to rotations anyways, but I wonder why the first week of the included rotation calendar has you doing only the Cardio workouts and not any strength or core?

I've done all of them now and am really impressed. They are all of varying intensity, but none are low intensity. Some are super intense, others just intense. I will probably never do just one on its own--I will always combine two or three WODs for a good workout--or tack one of them to the end of a strength workout for a cardio burst. I hate the warm up, so I will always do my own warm up.

The only WOD I did not like was Strength WOD 4. I felt it was dangerous and could cause repetitive movement injury. I was in quite a bit of pain by the end of that one and not the good pain. But other than that, I really liked the other 11 WODs, some more than others. I especially liked Cardio WOD 4--very intense for such a short WOD (only 8 minutes!); the perfect add on when you feel you really need to have some cardio on a strength day but your strength workout took most of your time.

I love short intense workouts like these for two reasons. I workout in the morning before work and I only have a limited amount of time--my workout needs to be no more than an hour. I can push it to 70 minutes but then my time to get ready for work and eat breakfast is a little tight. 70 minutes is my max in the morning. So having these short WODs to tack onto strength days is a godsend. I have some others, but not many (Insanity Fast & Furious, TurboFire's HIIT 15, Cathe's TTM and CF tabata premixes). Now with Bob's WODs and Zuzka's ZCut Cardio Power workouts I now have tons of super short HIIT workouts!

I also prefer these kinds of workouts when I am doing doubles (a second workout in the afternoon after work). I love my long workouts to be in the morning. If I am going to do doubles, I want it to be no more than 30 minutes, but it needs to be intense so it isn't a waste of my time. Again, combining two of these fits that bill. So, for my purposes, Bob's WODs are perfect.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.