Blow dryer recomendation

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi!
I'm in the market for a new affordable blow dryer that will help with my aging thinning, dry, frizzy hair. When looking for a blow dryer to help with the frizzy hair should I be looking at ionic, ceramic, tourmaline, or a combination of ionic, tourmaline for best results? Everything is so confusing now a days! In the old days If I needed a blow dryer I would just purchase the most affordable blow dryer without having to consider my hair type! Hope you can help!

I have an ionic-ceramic one and didn't notice any difference really. I do not blow dry my hair every time, though. I'm interested to hear what folks have to tell you about tourmaline. For frizziness, I like natural oil 'sealants' like mixes of argan, shea and broccolli seed oils. If your hair does not weigh down easily, avocado oil can't be beat. Also, when you rinse your hair in the shower, use the coolest temperature you can manage.

Don't know if you have curly or straight hair, but I have curly hair and this T3 Featherweight Luxe hair dryer + Deva Curls products have totally transformed my hair. The dryer is FAST without frying my hair and it's never frizzy but still has lots of volume. It is tourmaline with an ion air generator.

My hair dryer was a luxury gift, but there are cheaper tourmaline/ion options out there. I will just pass on the advice that my hair dresser gave me...first, make sure it has a "cool shot button" (helps tame frizz and hold the style in place); and second, make sure it's not super heavy in weight since many of these fancy hair dryers can actually be quite heavy (kinda funny advice for a strong Cathlete, but it is hard to hold a cumbersome heavy hair dryer at odd angles when styling your hair).

Lisa

All my life, my hair has been straight as a stick, and very thick. About 10 years ago, it started to curl. Now, my hair has big loose curls. I use a hair dryer with a diffuser. Curl gel, and a diffuser makes nice curls. I agree with Lisa, love Deva Curl products.

I'm interested to hear about all these fancy driers - I may have to try one!

Justine, there's no "may" about it. You MUST try one!!! Life changing. Just count it as a fitness expense, since we have to regularly wash all that workout sweat out of our hair.

All my life, my hair has been straight as a stick, and very thick. About 10 years ago, it started to curl. Now, my hair has big loose curls. I use a hair dryer with a diffuser. Curl gel, and a diffuser makes nice curls. I agree with Lisa, love Deva Curl products.

Hormonal changes, you think? At least you got curly hair out of it. Well, maybe you don't like your curls but they're better than hot flashes. ;)

And, yeah, diffusers are a curly girl's best friend.

Lisa

I never believed there was a difference between fancy blow dryers and the one I could buy at Target...until I tried this one. I can't believe how quickly it dries my hair and how shiny it is. http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-dryers/supersolano-the-original

Oh, and I loved mine so much I got one for my sister...I could tell she was disappointed when she opened the box and politely said she already had a dryer she really liked. I told her just to try and it and I'd take it back as my travel blow dryer and get her something else if she didn't care for it. She LOVES it. FYI, they go on sale close to 1/2 price occasionally, so if you have time, wait for a sale. And I should add I've had mine a few years now and they have a rep for lasting FOREVER. They're extremely well made. It is heavier than my old dryer (and it has an 11' cord...it's clearly made for the salon), but I looked and it's only a few ounces heavier than the T3. And the reviews are great.

Good luck in your search...and please come back and post a review of whatever you purchase. I'm always interested in other stuff out there!

Oh, and I'll also add that if you purchase a more expensive dryer, be careful to purchase from an authorized dealer so that the warranty will be valid. Some of the more expensive dryers don't have reputations for lasting that long and you wouldn't want it to break and find out the manufacturer won't replace it because you didn't buy it from one of their authorized retailers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.