Bloody taste in mouth?

Loopy Lou

Cathlete
Hey guys,

Hope you're all having a good evening. I'm wondering if you might be able to help me.

I've just been for a run for the first time in ages. I feel fine and felt fine during the run. However, I now have a bloody/metalic taste in my mouth. Has anyone ever experienced this? I'm panicking!!! :eek:

Thanks.

I think you may be experiencing post exercise ketosis. Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism, which sounds like a good thing, but you may not be eating enough carbs. Try googling post exercise ketosis.

Any chance you've got a sore or bleeding gum? With exercise you raised the pressure and "leaked." Your dental hygenist would say you're not flossing enough

>Any chance you've got a sore or bleeding gum?

Or you could have accidentally scraped the inside of your cheek or your tongue with your teeth while running.

>I think you may be experiencing post exercise ketosis.

Ketosis doesn't smell/taste like blood (diabetics get it, and my cat Scooter would get it). It is more a 'bad (sometimes really!) breath' smell and taste.

Just an idea. Did you eat before you went running? When my acid reflux was at its worst, my mouth tasted like blood and metallic. I just thought maybe the acid was backing up. I had that taste in my mouth a lot for a while. Now it is gone.

Well, I couldn't actually see any blood and I floss every day so I'm not sure that's it. I didn't eat before the run either. Thanks for the suggestions though. :) Anything else it could be?

I also resumed exercising after a 4 month hiatus and I had the exact same thing, blood and metallic flavor in my mouth. Mine lasted 3 or 4 days and then simply went away. I did nothing in particular other than worry. Best of lucy
booboo39

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.