Blood Donation--extended soreness

adenspilot

I gave blood on the 7th. It hurt at the time, but I thought that was due largely to the fact that plebotomist put a blood pressure cuff on me. I'm still sore!! It feels like I pulled or slightly strained my bicep.

I give blood routinely and this is the first time I've experienced this much pain lasting longer than 12 hours. I've avoided doing any weight lifting because I thought resting might help it.

Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know what might be causing it/relieve it?

Sorry, no help here. They always put the pressure cuff on me and I don't have a problem. Isn't there a number you can call on your donor sheet?

I give blood routinely and have never experienced what you describe. I'm sorry you've had this experience. I agree that you might want to call the donation agency. Maybe they can offer suggestions as to why this happened and what you can do to alleviate the soreness.

I'd consider the possibility that you might have phlebitis (inflammation of the vein). I had an IV in my right arm overnight at the ER after a bout with food poisoning, and it led to about 4 weeks of battling phlebitis. The inside of my right bicep (the part that rests on your ribcage when your arms are down) was hot and tender to the touch, and any kind of exercise caused me pain.

My doctor's recommendation was chewable baby aspirin once a day, ibuprofen every 8 hours, and a warm compress (mainly using a heating pad).

It FINALLY went away for me, but now I'm terrified to give blood again (and I used to give every month), because apparently giving blood can cause phlebitis. :(

Good luck.

Sovled-ish

Sisyphus--That sounds almost exactly like what I went through! My arm wasn't hot to the touch but there was usually some pinkness by the end of the day.

I gave myself 2 doses of bengay and some ibuprofen and it was gone within a day. I was able to move it around without significant pain which is probably what helped me the most. Wish I had thought to do that sooner!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.