Blender suggestions please

fitmom24

Cathlete
Hi.

My blender died and I'm looking for suggestions for a new one. I use a blender primarily for making smoothies with frozen fruit or ice. I need one that can crush and blend the ice so that there aren't any ice chunks in the drink.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michelle

I have a VitaMix and I LOVE it! They are pricey, but are they ever workhorses! You'll have the smoothest smoothie ever!

Liz

I just bought a 1960's Waring "Blendor" for $30.00 at an antique store...it looks cool, is built like a Mack Truck, and is great for making smoothies.

Hi,

We used to have a Braun (forgot the type though) and it did a great job. It was about $50 and was the top rated in Consumer Reports. But now I have a Bosch universal mixer with blender and it is so wonderful! The power is amazing. I gave my Braun away to my sister and love, love, love my Bosch. It is spendy, so not for everyone.

Good Luck!
Mary

I love my Vitamix!!!!.. beware they are pricey though!!! Mine has 2 different containers, one for wet stuff like soups, smoothies,etc... the other for dry ingredients like mixing dry stuff for baking bread ( I have never used the dry container though)

Vitamix is king! I wish I could get one but I can't find them in dual voltage. I just can't justify spending $400 on one and then have to turn around and buy another one in 2 years.:-(

Carolyn

Thanks for the suggestions, anything a little less expensive? My budget won't allow for $300 + for a blender.

M

I use a ~$20 Back to Basics Blender Express that I picked up at Walmart (I think). It makes single serviings, has a sipper cap and handle so you can drink out of the same container you mix it up in. I think it works great for smoothies. If you need something more heavy duty, look for a model that specifically says it chops ice. Deb

I'm taking the lazy way out and copying this from an earlier thread on a similar topic, but that doesn't mean I don't HEARTILY endorse this product. I'm just short on time today:p

"I also didn't want to spend the money on a Magic Bullet, and I needed another appliance like a hole in the head. So I opted for the Oster Blend and Go cup, it's about $10. It's a heavy duty plastic cup (with it's own travel lid and straw) that fits your existing Oster blender base. All you have to do is use the blade, seal ring, and blender screw on bottom from your regular blender. Although I do see that now they sell one with a blade and seal ring already in the box with the cup. This thing is GREAT! It has all the power of a regular blender base, with the great smaller vacuum power of a Magic Bullet/Personal Blender. It makes the thickest, smoothest, most frosty smoothie drinks. It does ice, fresh/frozen fruit, nuts, veggies, like nothing. You can even make frozen fruit 'ice cream' in it. You can buy them at Walmart/K-mart, or online"

Totally the way to go until you win the lottery and can afford the solid gold Vitamix}( Believe me, if I could I would.

Mattea

Thanks again ladies.

I ended up with an Oster Original Beehive model and it works perfectly. It was also on sale at Target!

M

Do NOT get a kitchenaid blender. They stink at smoothies/slushy drinks. Actually, it doesn't do a good job w/ anything.

Great! You have an Oster, that means you can get the Blend-and-Go Cup. Trust me, it is so much easier to clean, lighter, and just makes a better smoothie than the regular blender. I also have a pretty classic Oster model and I always had trouble with "vacuum" pockets, the smoothie not being as thick as I wanted b/c I had to add more liquid so the stuff would move and blend, fruit and ice not being chopped thoroughly, and protein powder sticking to the sides of the blender.
The Blend-and-Go cup solves all these problems and you can drink right from that cup (it comes with a travel lid too), so you don't even have an extra cup to wash. This quality of smoothies making and convenience has saved me many a time late at night when I might have reached for something easy and junkie instead I had a protein smoothie!:9

Have fun!
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.