Birthday rant!

Loopy Lou

Cathlete
I am so upset this morning! It is my birthday today and last night, 4 friends and I went out for dinner and a movie to celebrate. I paid for the tickets for the movie and arranged that we would all meet at the cinema at 8.20pm. After the film, we would go straight to the restaurant. Here is a list of all the things one of my friends did to make the night truely memorable. We'll call her X.

1) The minute I got out the station, X, who I had arranged to meet (at the cinema, not the station), started shouting a me and accused me of being 1/2 an hour late (she says I told her 8.00pm). She then asked when I had been planning to phone her and how she was supposed to know what cinema it was! I had told her all the details the previous night!!! A great start to a wonderful evening.

2) She ordered a hotdog and popcorn at the cinema even though we were going out to eat afterwards and during the movie she started complaining about how slow moving it was.

3) Once out the cinema she snatched my map of how to get to the restaurant and took over as if I were incapable of reading a map.

4) En Route to the the resteraunt I aked her for the time. Instead of just telling me the time, she said in a belittling way "what time is the restaurant booked for" and then informed me that we would only just make it.

5) In the restaurant, my other friends congratulated me on my choice, and said that they hadn't been to a restaurant as posh. X said "Oh, I don't think it's that posh is it?" They had £600 wines on the menu and individual hand towels! X said "they're more like flannels. AAAAAAgggghhhhhhh!!!

6) To put the icing on the cake, X was then rude and snappy to the waiters all night!

Well, I'm sorry to moan so much. I just had to let of steam. I really don't understand what her problem was but it totally ruined the evening. I'm never organising anything again! :(

Sounds like your friend likes to be the center of attention! How irritating, and at your birthday celebration as well. Some people are like this. Have you had a problem with her before?

Sparrow

i am with sparrow. i have had several like this. over the years i have distanced myself from them. they can also be psychic vampires. love to suck the life out of you so you can be as mean,nasty,lonely,miserable, or whatever just like them. its like they feed off of good times suck it up so and enjoy everybody being like them.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Sorry to hear this, how rude of her. Don't say you'll never organize something again, just do it without her! Take care and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks guys. It has made me feel better to get it off my chest. You're right about distancing yourself. What is the point in having friends who just make you feel bad about yourself. After I left my first post, one of my other friends phoned to sing happy birthday and it has reminded me there are plenty of people who make me feel good about myself.

Sounds like she's someone I would have NO interest in having as a friend - she doesn't act like a friend, more like a selfish brat!!
Just Do It! :)

>Thanks guys. It has made me feel better to get it off my
>chest. You're right about distancing yourself. What is the
>point in having friends who just make you feel bad about
>yourself. After I left my first post, one of my other friends
>phoned to sing happy birthday and it has reminded me there are
>plenty of people who make me feel good about myself.

my mom always said you have to week thru the a-holes to find the true friends. she was so right.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

Eva, I'm so sorry she ruined your special day. Don't let her rudeness spoil your planning a fun time in the future. Maybe you could get together with some of your true friends and do something this weekend. BTW, did you get cake & ice cream? Inquiring minds want to KNOW! http://www.duveltjes.nl/animatie_plaatjes/feest/gefeliciteerd08.gif
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Happy birthday! :)

Wow reading your story brings me back to all the times my dad used to embarass me when I was growing up. Your friend sure acts like that. I'm sorry you had such a crappy night, but be glad it's over. That was yesterday and your birthday is today. I would plan something else and don't invite her.

You have every right to rant! This "friend" was a real *&$#. (use your imagination) Don't take her behavior personally! Some people are rude, no matter how nice we are to them. Just organize future get togethers without her.

Our lives are tricky enough without so-called friends dragging us down. Enjoy your birthday, and enjoy the fact that you are taking care of yourself. We tend to focus on our bodies, but our psyches need it just as much.

Have a happy birthday anyway! Let your "friends-in-Cathe" know if you need us.

Oh I feel for you! I had a birthday ruined in a similar fashion and so I know how you must have felt! But Happy Birthday! :)

Jo

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

You should have just asked her if it was that TOTM. }(
Don't feel bad. I don't talk to my side of the family and the only memories I have of a birthday was when I was 9 and I kept asking my mom "Is dad coming today?" (they were divorced). I must have asked her like 6 or 7 times. Finally she turned to me and said "Why?", and I said "Because it's my birthday". She stopped what she was doing and took my older sister w/ her to buy the ugliest flourescent pink keds, came home and just handed them to me. I remember thinking "They forgot, how could they forget?".
When my kids birthdays come up, I tell them Happy Birthday when I go to wake them up and I have already tucked a card into their back pack. My oldest sons birthday falls in the summer, so I leave the card in the bathroom. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.