Birth Control - Implanon, Mirena, Tubal?

lrayburn

Cathlete
Hi ladies,
I have been contemplating birth control options lately and am having a hard time coming to a decision I am comfortable with. I have just switched OBs because I wasn't happy with the man I was seeing. I have been doing a lot of research and still am not comfortable making a firm decision. I see a female OB tomorrow to discuss options from a medical stand point but I'm interested to know what your personal experiences are. Here are the ideas I am considering:

Tubal ligation - This was my prefered option, especially since it is non-hormonal, until I read about the risk of "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" (increased risk of endometriosis, increased PMS issues - I can't figure out if this is a realistic risk or simply internet hysteria) and finally got a ballpark cost estimate from the hospital and insurance company.

Mirena - I'm concerned about the risk for perforation and adhesion. Also, I've heard people talk about real issues with bleeding, horrible PMS, etc. My girlfriend who has it for 5 months still hates it and is giving it another month before removal. Also, I haven't had a child and I'm a little concerned that some doctors will do it and others won't based on this.

Implanon - I guess I haven't heard the bad things about this yet because it's most recently added to my list. I like the idea of longterm control without an IUD.

Anyway, if you have experience with any of these - good or bad - I'd appreciate hearing your input.

Thanks!
Lisa

I have Mirena, and have had it for almost 5 years, I haven't had a child. My doctor had to "sound" my uterus to make sure it would fit and it did. It has been one of the best things I have ever done. I used to have terrible PMS and migraines. Since I got it I haven't had a period and went from several migraines a month to one or two per year. It has been an awesome solution for me.

Shayne

Lisa,

Birth control sucks:p

Last year, after much research and consideration, I decided to get the paragard (non-hormonal - can't do hormones anymore) IUD inserted. I have never had children either, but my doctor said he felt I was still a good candidate for it.

For me, it was the worst experience of my life. It took three visits to insert the IUD because I have scarring on my cervix from cryo surgery and the procedure itself was painful. Now I've heard the insertion isn't that bad for normal women, but if you have any issues like mine, be warned.

The entire first month was filled with the most painful cramps I've ever had in my life, which they say is normal. But it didn't feel normal to me, and by the end of the month, the IUD had fallen out! So I went to my OBGYN and said I think it's fallen, and he didn't believe me at first, but when he examined me, it was out.

Apparently, my uterus isn't 'soft' or 'round' enough to hold an IUD because of the fact I've never had children. I read and read about the chances of it falling out in childless woman, and they are so small so I took the chance on having it inserted. But it fell out after my first period with it in.

I'm not trying to steer you away from and IUD, but just wanted to share my experience. Maybe your new OBGYN can 'check' to make sure your uterus is okay to hold an IUD??

I've never heard of Implanon - I'm gonna check that out!

Good Luck!! :)

I'm on my 2nd copper IUD. I've had no problems with it being put in, having it taken out and a new one put back in. Actually my current one is 10yrs old and due to be taken out but I'm hoping menopause will kick in and I won't have to have a 3rd one.

Is there a doctor near you who does the Essure procedure? I'm hoping to have this done in the next year or so. Permanent, non-hormonal, and you can be in & out in an hour, very little need for recovery time...

I got the Mirena a year ago and it has been absolutely fabulous. Almost no period - I usually cant even tell its that time until I get a few pimples. I get a day's worth of period about every 3 months and a few cramps for a few hours about every 4-5 months.

Also the last several times I have went in to the Dr for various reasons and we cover the basics - when they see I have the Mirena - they have all had it recently and just rave and rave - from all the nurses I have seen to my OB/GYN that has had it in and out between babies. No one I have talked to has ever complained about it - it is always such the opposite that they actually want to have a conversation about how much they all love it. Not the normal response when you talk about those kind of things. :)

I am totally irk'd that it wasnt an option when I decided to try depo and gained 30 lbs a few years back.. :( that sucked...

Not sure if that helps - but I love it!!!

I had a tubal 16 years ago after the birth of my youngest daughter. After 4 babies in 4 years with other birth control failures, I wanted something permament. My doctor took a little persuading as I was only 21 at the time, but not a lot. He did the cauterization ligation which makes it much more permament and tougher to reverse. I had about 6 months when my youngest was 2 (which was the longest I'd gone without a baby) when I second guessed myself....but it was minor and I have no regrets. I've had no trouble with PMS or any of the other issues you mentioned. I previously had a history of ovarian cysts, including the removal of one ovary and multiple surgeries on the other....(another reason I wanted a permament solution...one ovary removed and damage to the other and STILL birth control failed!!! :p) Since the tubal I've had no need for any surgery to control cysts.
And now after 21 years of marriage, at the age of 38 with 3 kids graduated and 1 junior in high school....I am VERY happy I made the choices I did, when I did! :D
Just my experience!

Becky

I just got Mirena 3 weeks ago. I am still having what seems like a light period daily and have very mild cramping here and there which I guess is perfectly normal at first. I'm still getting used to the idea of having "something artificial" in there. (Makes me pretty sure I wouldn't be a good candidate for breast implants:() Getting it inserted is a bit uncomfortable but it's a relatively quick procedure.

We just had our 2nd daughter and I was actually scheduled to get my tubes tied the day after delivery but my dad died right after I went into labor and I really didn't want to think about doing it then. Anyway, I'm so glad I didn't do it because now I'm really starting to think that I would like another baby so this was the perfect option for me.
We have 2 daughters and I just couldn't get used to the idea of doing something permanent.

I had a tubal. There is scare tissue that occurs. But before I had a MEA done, the docs found fibroids and cyst, so that was some of my cramps were over the top. MEA is bascially micorwaving uterus (I told the doc when he finished could he microwave dinner-sorry about the humor, might as well do 2 things at once), there is no bleeding or very little.

essure

I have had the Essure procedure, very easy, painless, quick. Botta Bing, Botta Boom, done.
Highly recommend it, non-surgical, no hormones to supplement.

I had a tubal almost six years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was more uncomfortable than I expected on the day of my surgery, but have had no problems since. :)

Erica

I have had the Essure procedure, very easy, painless, quick. Botta Bing, Botta Boom, done.
Highly recommend it, non-surgical, no hormones to supplement.

Yay! That's the word of mouth I've been hearing. I can't believe this isn't more widely advertised. It seems so simple in comparison to everything else!

Thanks for all the input ladies. My appointment went well today. The doctor actually spent a whole hour talking to me - how often does that happen? We discussed a tubal, Essure, Mirena and Implanon.

Right now I'm considering Mirena and Implanon. I'm leaning towards Implanon but haven't made up my mind for sure yet. I like the idea of a tubal but honestly don't want to deal with my period. I get migraines at the beginning and end and that wasn't an issue on the progesterone only pill that I had been on.

Afreet ~ Neither this doctor nor my previous one was a big fan of the Essure procedure. Apparently there is a period of about three months when the scar tissue isn't fully formed that a back-up form of contraception is needed and there is also a risk of ectopic pregnancy during this period. Both of them prefered a surgical tubal. I don't know if there was more to their concerns than that though.

Anyway, I'm still open to hearing other peoples stories.

Thanks again,
Lisa

essure

I'm surprised any doctor, except a surgeon, (ha ha) would recommend surgery before a non-surgical procedure. My ob-gyn, who did not do this procedure, thought it was a great alternative. Yes there is a 3 month waiting period while scar tissue builds up, then you get a radiograph or other test to see if the fallopian tube is blocked, then it is done! I suppose anything can have risks. Good luck!

Afreet ~ Neither this doctor nor my previous one was a big fan of the Essure procedure. Apparently there is a period of about three months when the scar tissue isn't fully formed that a back-up form of contraception is needed and there is also a risk of ectopic pregnancy during this period. Both of them prefered a surgical tubal. I don't know if there was more to their concerns than that though.

My doctor won't perform the procedure either. And he said it's because of the reason you mentioned and also something about a dye that gets injected into you after the procedure to see if the scar tissue formed and everything sealed. But apparently it can look as if the procedure was a success, but it really wasn't. I can't remember all the specifics, but I know he had reservations about performing the procedure so he chooses not to. Although other OB/GYNs in his practice do perform it.

I'm surprised any doctor, except a surgeon, (ha ha) would recommend surgery before a non-surgical procedure. My ob-gyn, who did not do this procedure, thought it was a great alternative. Yes there is a 3 month waiting period while scar tissue builds up, then you get a radiograph or other test to see if the fallopian tube is blocked, then it is done! I suppose anything can have risks. Good luck!

Addagirl, I was surprized that both of my OBs were against it too. I don't feel that either one of them is particularly scalpel happy.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.