Best workout/waterproof make-up?

ellesan

Cathlete
Normally I'd never wear make-up for workouts, but I'll be filming a workout dvd and would like to look good :D. I have no idea what to wear make up/mascara wise that won't smudge/drip all over my face. Any tips or things that have worked for you? Thanks!

No, I don't think so. It's low budget--we're not even getting paid to do it. I got the full casting detail email and it said nothing at all about hair/makeup. I looked at previous filmings and some women are wearing makeup and some not. Of course I don't want to wear a lot, just a little bit. Maybe I'll look into a tinted moisturizer and waterproof mascara...

Revlon colorstay lightweight makeup is great. Experiment with it ahead of time. Sometimes I'll wear it as it, blending one area at a time, others I'll mix it with moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer. I've been using the Physician's formula spf 50 powder foundation compact over it. Mac also has a good formula, but the colorstay really, really stays and it is so much cheaper.

Now with mascara, waterproof actually smears more for me because I have very oily lids and since waterproof formulas resist water, they are meant to come off with oil. Covergirl lengthening (yellow tube) works best for me, and I only apply it to the upper lashes.

For blush, I like to use a gel and then a powder on top. For creme/gel, many brands I've tried are good except for Rimmel. I like Clinique's powder on top. Clinique also makes an awesome liner, it's the water-resistant and it comes in a powdery cake, kind of like eyeshadow. You wet an eyeliner brush and put it on. Not to be confused with the creme-gel stuff, this is way better. For shadow, I like the clinique stuff in a tube as a base, then I put Dior over top. The Dior is $50, but one compact will last you all year and it is gorgeous. Even colors you would normally never wear look awesome in these compacts.

When you get shiny, don't add more powder, except for maybe once in the day, but definitely use blotting papers. Best blotting paper? Those paper toilet seat covers from public bathrooms.

No, I don't think so. It's low budget--we're not even getting paid to do it. I got the full casting detail email and it said nothing at all about hair/makeup. I looked at previous filmings and some women are wearing makeup and some not. Of course I don't want to wear a lot, just a little bit. Maybe I'll look into a tinted moisturizer and waterproof mascara...

Don't go overboard, but absolutely use blush, make sure that it is very well blended!

This is a tough one - I was in a Spinervals workout and I can tell you for certain, don't go overboard! The filming lights are so intensely hot - you will be DRIPPING sweat before you even move a muscle. It honestly felt like we were working out in a sauna. Anything you put on will sweat right off in minutes. I wouldn't bother with any kind of foundation - way too much on your face. Maybe a little powder blush, and test mascaras to find something that you KNOW works for you in intense conditions, and that is IT. I'd seriously think about just going without.

What are you going to be in? It's a great experience - have fun!!!

Gmonkey, thanks for the tips!

This is a tough one - I was in a Spinervals workout and I can tell you for certain, don't go overboard! The filming lights are so intensely hot - you will be DRIPPING sweat before you even move a muscle. It honestly felt like we were working out in a sauna. Anything you put on will sweat right off in minutes. I wouldn't bother with any kind of foundation - way too much on your face. Maybe a little powder blush, and test mascaras to find something that you KNOW works for you in intense conditions, and that is IT. I'd seriously think about just going without.

What are you going to be in? It's a great experience - have fun!!!

Me too!! A Spinervals workout that they are filming 2 days after my triathlon (new Iron Girl series). Thank you so much, this is is exactly what I was looking for!! Which one were you in? Any more tips? I'd love to hear your experience--anything would be great! They said plan on 2 hours for filming, what was it for you? What did you wear? They said no " heavy logo" clothing. I'm thinking either my DeSoto tri capri's or my PI bike capri's. Not sure on the top yet...

I tried a mascara today during my long bike ride, and took a shower, wiped my face a lot and it still looks good. :D I have a smashbox creme blush that stays put pretty well...I think that's all I'll do. I feel better now!

I'm so excited!!

Last edited:
If I work out in a gym, I only put on Revlon's ColorStay stick eyeliner. If you can afford it, Chanel makes the best stay on lipstick. I would not put makeup on my face because I don't want to it to get into my pores and sweat away.

Oh, c'mon. Haven't you ever seen any of the old Firm videos?;) Do you remember when they wore exercise stockings?

I'm guessing a tinted moisturizer and waterproof mascara will look great.

Break a leg!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.