Best exercise route after massive weight loss?

divinem

Dear Cathe-

I am a 38 yo female, 5'6", weigh 184 lbs. I have lost 120+ lbs over a period of 3 years with little to no exercise -- just a very healthy, vegetable, fruit, protein-rich food plan with lots of support. As you can imagine, I have a considerable amount of excess skin from the weight loss even though it's been slow.

My history of exercise has been very inconsistent, but I believe I've found my niche in your videos. I'm so grateful I've found something that motivates and excites me! But where does one begin when one looks like a sharpei wrinkle dog (other than the obvious cardio & beg. weight training)?

As I complete the last 40 lbs. of my weight loss, it is imperative that I fuse a healthy physical lifestyle in addition to the food plan I follow. Should I go for more muscle at this point? Toning? How do you shape a deflated balloon? I want to develop a plan/program -- just like I have with the food -- or I will not succeed in this endeavor.

I realize that my skin's elasticity has limits; but I am convinced that, with hard work and dedication, I can achieve a look that I'm proud (instead of ashamed) of.

Based on experience with other exercise videos, I can tell you are the real deal and appreciate your dedication and love for health and fitness.

Best regards,
Melissa W.
Omaha, NE
--

Willingness is not a feeling -- it's an action.

BTW, here's a b4/current face pic of my journey. :)

b4-cur.jpg

Oh, and Cathe, to give you an idea of the exercise I'm currently doing, I have and utilize the following 7 days/week and modify as necessary.
Basic Step
Body Fusion
Stretch Max [after every workout]

I recently ordered Vol 3 Body Blast Series DVD, which includes Supersets and Push Pull, Core Max and Low Max. I have learned well from you how important good form is, taking great care by listening to my [battered] body to prevent injury.

Running/jogging is not an option due to lumbar problems. I also have a couple other dance videos that are way too much fun. I hope you can suggest a strategy to regain some form and muscle composition.

Thanks, again!

Melissa,

Not Cathe here, either.....but wanted to offer you congratulations on your fantastic accomplishments so far!:)

Julie

Hi Melissa, not Cathe, but just wanted to draw your attention to a rotaion that Cathe posted last June after the beginner videos came out - see below. By the way, congratualtions! Sharon :)
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone! Sorry that I am having to post this so late. This month's rotation will feature a double header: A beg/int rotation and an advanced rotation. They will both incorporate the new workouts. Enjoy!

BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE ROTATION:

WEEK ONE:
Mon: Basic Step
Tues: Upper Body and Ab Add On
Wed: Basic Step
Thurs: Lower Body and Ab Add On
Fri: Basic Step
Sat: Upper/Lower/Ab Add Ons
Sun: OFF

WEEK TWO:
Mon: Basic Step/ Upper and Ab Add On
Tues: Lower Body and Ab Add On
Wed: Body Fusion
Thurs: OFF
Fri: Body Fusion
Sat: OFF
Sun: Upper/Lower/Ab Add Ons (optional to follow up with Basic Step)

WEEK THREE:
Mon: Basic Step/Ab Add On
Tues: High Step Circuit(Int)
Wed: OFF
Thurs: High Step Circuit(Int)
Fri: Basic Step/Ab Add On
Sat: Body Fusion

WEEK FOUR:
Mon: Body Fusion
Tues: Basic Step/Ab Add On
Wed: High Step Circuit(Int)
Fri: High Step Circuit(Int)
Sat: 30 minute moderate run plus Upper/Lower/Ab Add On
Sun: OFF (optional Body Fusion *cardio only* followed by Basic Step)

ADVANCED ROTATION

WEEK ONE:

Mon: High Step Training: Advanced (HSTA)
Tues: Imax 2 plus 10 min. abs of choice
Wed: HSTA
Thurs: Imax 1 plus 10 min. abs of choice
Fri: Body Fusion (or substitute Cardio&Weights)
Sat: 30 light run plus 10 min. abs of choice

WEEK TWO:
Mon: HSTA
Tues: MIC
Wed: Leaner Legs
Fri: HSTA
Sat: KPC
Sun: 45 min moderate run plus 10 min. abs of choice

WEEK THREE:
Mon: Body Max
Tues: MIC
Wed: HSTA
Fri: HSTA
Sat: Imax 2 plus 10 min. abs of choice
Sun: SJP

WEEK FOUR:
Mon: OFF
Tues: Boot Camp
Wed: Power Max plus 10 min. abs of choice
Thurs: HSTA
Fri: IMAX 1
Sat: HSTA
Sun: 45 min moderate to intense run plus 10 min. abs of choice

HI! I too wanted to say CONGRATULATION'S on your weight loss and continued success to you! You look fantastic!

Besides doing home workouts I just wanted to suggest you could also try swimming for exercise if you have a YMCA or a health club with a pool where you live. Swimming is great exercise and it's easy on your joints. If you haven't swam for a long time you could ask for private lessons/coaching so you learn good technique. Aqua exercise classes would be good too! And don't forget about walking. Walking is good cardio exercise once you build up to being able to walk at a fast pace.

Thank you, Shaz! That is very helpful. Looks like I'm actually doing more than this right now. I just got my high step and did the HSC today. Wow, my legs are quivering -- I LOVE IT! It will be very easy to add difficulty as my fitness increases, too.

Running/jogging is completely out for me because of injuries. I wonder if elliptical would suffice?

Thank you, all, for your supportive comments. I'm so excited to be living again instead of waiting for a hastened death.

Fantastic accomplishment - be proud of yourself! You deserve to relish in your success! I would incorporate yoga into your routine to add the mind body connection and yoga can be great to really prevent injuries and properly align the body! :) IMHO :)

What an accomplishment. You should be so proud that you have took control of your life. Hope Cathe sees this and can give you some of the advice you seek. Keep up the good work. There is a daily check-in thread each day on the Open Discussion forum where you can post your w/o's for that day and see what everybody else is doing. Look forward to seeing some amazing w/o's from you!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.