Best Cathe non-step workouts

eaglobo

Cathlete
What are your favorite Cathe workouts that don't require step aerobics?? I have no problems using a step as a workout bench (ex..Muscle Max), but I am so severely choreography-challenged, that it simply wouldn't be worth it to purchase a workout that involved step aerobic work.

I already have KPC, Kick Max, and Muscle Max, Stretch Max, and Total Body Stretching, as well as Drill Max that uses a step infrequently enough that I purchased it.

Thanks,

Jerry,

I'm not a choreo-whiz myself, but I would recommend the 4DS even if you never do LIS or HIS. I love the series and consider it well worth it just for the weight work, KB, and BC alone.

If you are willing to give step a shot someday, I'd recommend starting with Basic Step and Body Fusion. I bought those a few months ago, and they have really helped me gain step confidence and a better handle on many of the basic moves.

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/stockingsmiley1.gif

Hello,

How about Muscle Endurance and Bottcamp DVD from Intensity series? BC has no step, it's cardio intervals and light weights. You can definitely do this one. ME is like MM, except it's higher rep. Also, Cathe has older kickbox videos Cardio Kicks and Circuit Max that, again, uses no step. Circuit Max does use a step for about 2 cycles at the end though, but you can substitute. Or you could do the High Step Training and High Step Challenge (I don't have this one) that uses the high step for the cardio intervals, they are short and quick and has no choreography.

I like all of the ones above, but the most challenging would be BC and ME DVD. Cathe has a rotation where she says do BC twice (yes twice) which I keep meaning to try, but haven't got round to it.

Hope this helps.

Yen

Cardio Kicks (on the same disc as Circuit Max; give the floor cardio in Circuit Max a whirl while you're at it);

Step Jump Pump (on the same disc as Step Blast) has a hi/lo floor routine;

The Maximum Intensity Cardio (MIC) workout on the same disc as Rhythmic Step and Interval Max; MIC has about 35 minutes of hi/lo, the last 15 minutes of which will put hair one your chest where none was or take it off where it was.

Jerry, I'll ask you to reconsider not bringing step aerobics into your program. I too am very choreo-challenged, and/but Cathe has several step workouts that are basic choreo and high intensity. I'm thinking specifically of her step interval workouts: Interval Max (see above); I-Max 2 (on the same disc as Cardio & Weights); and I-Max 3 (a stand-alone disc). Also, Cathe has several step routines with "power circuits" built in that are kind of like mini-I-Maxes, specifically Power Circuit from CTX, the power circuit routine from Body Max (original) and also the power circuit routine from Body Max 2.

Step training is excellent cardio and recruits the leg and glute muscles in an entirely different way, and I'm sure with a little practice on a low step you would be able to master the choreo in the I-Maxes. Just let's put it this way: if I can get it, anyone can.

Maybe that can be one of your goals for 2008: get into the step of things!

A-Jock

A-Jock,

First, I just have to say, I so appreciate your posts and the wisdom and wit you bring to the boards. :)

But I've gotta slip back in and share my experience. I opted for Imax2 early on in my introduction to Cathe, and I ended up getting rid of that DVD. As someone with pretty much zero step experience and very little coordination, it was simply too much for me. Jerry's situation may be different, but for me, working FT and going to grad school PT just didn't leave me with enough downtime to devote to learning new routines.

Again, I would have to endorse Basic Step for those who are true beginners. If you're like me -- two left feet and not a whole lot of time -- and you're willing to give step a go, you're better off starting from the ground up. Respectfully, I think the Imaxes might be a bit of a leap.

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/stockingsmiley1.gif

Thanks for the replies, everyone, there are some definite options to choose from, especially the BootCamp/Muscle Endurance option!!

Regarding the step issue, I know that step aerobics has many great benefits, which is why I haven't altogether tossed out the idea of learning it one day. I like a good challenge, but I also know my limitations, and right now, truth be told, I'm not that confident even standing on a step with both feet!!!

If I were to attempt step, I would go with Basic Step...I like that term....Basic..although I'd much prefer Step For Dummies in the title...:p

Thanks again!

Hey Jerry,

I know you love Cathe, but you might consider another instructor for step. Kathy Smith's Great Buns and Thighs is a solid intermediate level step workout (35 minutes of stepping, 10 minutes floor work w/ ankle wts) that is VERY easy to learn. Is it as intense as Cathe? No, but you'll get a good workout and build up some step confidence.

I've not tried Gin Miller but others have posted that her step routines are also easy to learn and tough.

Karen Voight's Energy Sprint is a tiny bit more complex (more arm movement) but it's an interval style step workout and longer (around 55 minutes). She cues well (some say too much) and her technique is perfect, like Cathe. Karen V. has another one called Lean Legs and Thighs that features squats, squats and more squats all on the step.

A-jock is right--don't give up on the step just start with baby steps (oooops, bad unintentional pun!). Note: the Kathy and Karen workouts are all older (early 90s) so you'll have to get over the thong leotards.

My DH who cannot step with Cathe can make it through Kathy Smith's workout no problem. HTH!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Good points all re the issue of beginning with step when you are truly a beginner to the format. Cathy / RunninTeach, thanks for the props and the recommendation. I personally have never gotten the Basic Step workout because by the time it came out on the market I was already schooled enough in Cathe's simpler choreography that I didn't need it. You're right - the I-Maxes might be a bit of a stretch right now, but a good goal to work toward.

I also forgot about Kathy Smith's Buns & Thighs routine, which I did happily for a couple of years before getting into Cathe. That is a good starter workout for beginning steppers.

Jerry, we're probably not gonna let up on you too much on the step subject. Given how enthusiastically you've embraced Cathe's other formats, and given how Cathe first got on the map because of her power stepping, we don't want you to miss out too long!

A-Jock

I used to be completely terrified of trying Step aerobics - it just seemed too complicated and dancey to me. But I kept reading how great of a workout it was, and that you could reap greater benefits doing fairly low impact Step aerobics than high-impact workouts on the floor.

I started with Kari Anderson's "Go: Step for Beginners," followed by Kathy Smith's "Step Workout" and then Cathe's "Basic Step" DVD. These DVDs were PERFECT for me, and I highly recommend them to any beginning stepper as they still have a learning curve to them and are not so simple and boring that you'll lose interest or feel like you're wasting your time. Trust me, once you learn to do a basic step-up / step-down, you WON'T want to keep doing this same move for the next 30 minutes or so - and these workouts thankfully are NOT like that, yet are still easy to learn.

I now have moved on to Cathe's "Bodymax 2" and "Low Max" workouts, and was amazed that I got the choreography down on these about the third time through - and for the first time, I even raised my step height to 8" on LOW MAX the other day. :D I admit though, that if I had started with these DVDs I probably would've have gotten so frustrated I would've given up.

Now, I THINK I might be able to try Cathe's IMAX workouts soon, which are supposed to be even a little more complex. ;-)

As for non-step workouts, I've also been eyeing Cathe's "Bootcamp & Muscle Endurance" as well as "Kick Max" as possible next purchases. They both look very intense and fun!

Jerry, I very strongly recommend Maximum Intensity Cardio. The hi/lo is actually about 25 minutes with another 25 or so of step, but the step is very basic although incredibly intense. It's also a good starter if you do want to learn step someday. The step combos are linear & the moves, as Cathe says, "are easy to get but not easy to do!"

I just did this one on Saturday & it seriously kicks my butt every time.

another vote for MIC.

and I just love love Bootcamp on the new 4DS. Too bad you couldn't just purchase pieces of that series although I highly recommend the whole thing. It might be an option for you if you like heavy weight work. 4DS gives you weights and 2 not step cardio options.

It really sounds like you would love BootCamp/Muscle Endurance. There are men in the Bootcamp dvd, too. I love Cardio Kicks, too! No step, and men are in the cast, as well. Wow, isn't Cathe great? Such a variety of workouts! Something for just about everyone....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.