beginners video

charlie-v

Dear Cathe,
I have been out of the fitness loop for several years now, but am getting back into it. Years ago I loved step-aerobics, and just went out and bought a step to use. Unfortunately the video that came with the step is too fast for me, and I can't keep up. It is discouraging! Do you have a suggestion for one of your videos that will help me ease back into the step environment?
Thanks,
Charlene

Hi Charlene

I am not Cathe but if you want to start stepping with Cathe, who is advanced, I would suggest her very first tapes. Which are Step N Motion 1 and Mega Step Blast. Being the tape that came with the step is to fast for you, I think you might want to consider starting with Gilad or Kathy Smith Step tape which are excellent and can be bought secondhand before you tackle Cathe.

Good Luck

Kim

You got All Step with your step, right? All Step is a pretty intense tape. Definitely advanced, IMHO. And the choreography is very complicated. Step Heat is a good Cathe starter tape. But it's not for beginners. It has a lot of power stepping and advanced choreography. I'd recommend starting with a more basic step tape and working your way up to Cathe. Thank God I didn't start with Cathe or I would have given up in frustration! Kathy Smith's Step Workout is pretty good (boring though). You might want to check out Collagevideo.com and Videofitness.com for recommendations.

dont laugh because you are hearing this from a guy, but i think the EASYIST tape is Cathes get in shape for your wedding tape. I held off getting this one for the longest time thinking it would be nothing like her other tapes, but on those days when i come home from work pooped out, the workout is easier, the footwork is easier, and i dont have to think too much while doing it. Just a suggestion.

Agreeing with Geno~the Wedding tape is probably the easiest. Plus, you get a bonus strength section at the end! My 2nd. suggestion would be MegaStepBlast. Great workout, but not tooo choreo-challenging. Have fun and WELCOME!!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hey Geno!

It's great to get a male's perspective of the tapes! Great bio BTW! Did you teach Hi/Lo or Step Aerobics 15 years ago??? Glad to have you join us here!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: A Yay for........

Cathe's StepNMotion1, Mega Step Blast & Wedding Video. Why not check them out on the video clip? Nice music too. Also, you might want to try if you own a DVD player The Classics 1 dvd, it features some of her earliest work-out, Step Jam, Step Heat, & I think Step Max. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

I used to do step/weights at the gym last year and fell off the wagon due to my crazy schedule. Started back up with my video collection a couple of months ago and I have my stamina back.. but I found Kathy Smith's step tape boring after a month. Gin Miller's Aerostep is good but I wanted some variety and also wanted to add strength training.

So, I visited the video review sites and read about Cathe. I was almost scared off by some of the folks who think she's only for Intermediate/Advanced exercisers.

If you've exercised before, you'll just need to modify the movements until you build up strength and learn the choreography.

I bought the Classic DVD last week and love it! It's like having my favorite instructor in my house at 5:30AM. I've gotten the bug and am here today trying to decide what I should use for strengthening.. I've tried to like the FIRM series..but they are not for me. I'll probably order MIS plus a few others.

Good Luck!

Wow, got a lot of advise on this! Thanks for everyone who has chipped in theri 2 cents....I just purchased the Classics DVD. I can't wait to get it. I guess I shouldn't have called myself a beginner, because while I haven't done step for a while, I always loved it, and love to dance as well having been a gymnast when I was younger. I think I will really enjoy the Cathe workouts especially after reading what all of you have to say about her! Thanks again! Charlene (Charlie)

Hi Charlene. Good for you in deciding to hit the step again! I think I also would've pooped out though if I had tried to workout with Cathe as a beginner.

I think you'll find that Step Heat and Step Jam are pretty fast if you're having trouble with the speed of the tape that came with your step. As I remember, the Wedding Tape is also a pretty brisk pace.

Out of the Cathe Classics DVD you ordered, I think Step Max will be the one to try first. It starts off pretty basic but becomes quite challenging by the end while still being really fun. I agree that Mega Step Blast might be a good one for you to try too.

I also agree that Kathy Smith's basic step workout is really good for getting into step (or getting back into step) but I'd also recommend her Power Step workout. The pace is definitely slower than Cathe's and the choreography is a bit more interesting than the basic workout. If you don't want to do any (or much) high impact step, you can modify everything down to the low impact level, it's really very versatile.

Good luck & happy stepping!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.