Beginner Strength Program Suggestions?

I am looking around for a good beginner program for my husband. He has seen my doing Cathe workouts (XTrain and Ripped with HIIT), and those have scared him off...but I am also at a much higher fitness level than him.

Typically, he has relied on using a recumbent bike in the past, working out 5 or 6 days per week, between 35 and 45 minutes with one of the programs that came with the bike. He has deviated from that of late, because he keeps getting injured, so he is now looking at trying something new during this holiday season.

He did do Rushfit last year, and actually completed two rounds of it because he found it very "doable" for him. Once he felt like his fitness level was up from that, he tried Body Beast, then got bursitis in his shoulder a few weeks into the program, so took several months off from exercise.

After several months, he tried 21 Day Fix Extreme, and managed to get halfway through the first week before pulling a back muscle.

His latest effort was to try P90 (which we thought was geared towards beginners), but it kept bothering his knee. A few weeks of that, coupled with the fact that he had to cut down a tree in his mom's backyard, and well, now he thinks he has tendinitis or a tear in his knee, so P90 got dropped as well. On the plus side, his knee is getting better with rest, so he will be ready to try something else soon.

My husband is in his mid-forties, has been wanting to lose about 35 pounds for the last few years, but his weight yoyos because of the start/stop exercise issues (and he has also been lax on what he eats). I want him to meet his goal, but I have no idea what program he can handle at this point. We know he needs to build strength, but slowly. I wish there were a super beginner Cathe program for him, lol.

Does anyone have any experience with easy strength programs after coming back from an injury? Cardio-wise, he needs low-impact because of bad knees...I have managed to get him doing some of Cathe's spin bike workouts, but he will only do the timesaver options that are less than 40 minutes. Before his knee injury, he had just barely gotten to the point of completing a spin workout without taking extended rest breaks during the video. At this point, he is probably back to multiple rest breaks for something like that.

Hey starla, :)
If he keeps getting injured, before he starts anything, I would really recommend seeing a PT for at least a few consults. He sounds motivated which is really awesome!!
I liked RushFit as well. Excellent program! They include plenty of agility and mobility which is so needed. For cardio, I would recommend trying the "Quiet"/low impact ones from Millionaire Hoy on youtube (myself and my overweight dh do these ....he likes them more). He is very, very motivating! He does not have to do the whole video either ....he can work up to it. Also, Peak Condition on youtube. Great guy with respect to body mechanics. If you have Kinect/Xbox, I just wanted to share that my dh likes to use miCoach by adidas which offers cardio, strength etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaIteTkf33Rh4YhtWniz1g/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/yaboymillhoy/videos

(both use Hiit/afterburn etc. techniques for optimal fat burn)

For pure strength, I would see what the PT has to recommend firstly. Kelly Coffey's Split Sessions are excellent for intermediate.

Last edited:
I have been on his case about going to the doctor and consulting with a PT, but he is stubborn about it.

I am not familiar with those Youtube workouts, but maybe I can get him to give them a try. As long as he eases back into things, he will probably be okay (for now). ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.