becoming vegetarian

did anyone read the book "SKINNY BITCH"? it is unbelievable!!!
i want to become a vegetarian. i know that it will
be hard, but i want to try. can anyone make any suggestions
to make the transition easier?
thanks,
adrienne

I'm not a vegetarian, nor do I ever intend on becoming one, but I do play one on TV, and may I suggest that you hit the library and find some cookbooks and books on becoming a vegetarian. I wouldn't rely on Skinny Bitch (I have other names for this book but I won't share here) for information on a proper well balanced diet (eating iceburg lettuce every meal won't be fun). I'm quite sure the gang here will have some awesome suggestions as well.

One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks..."Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen" I also recommend a subscription to Vegetarian Times---awesome recipes.

I read SKINNY BITCH" I liked it.
Another good book is EAT TO LIVE.
I always knew I should be a vegetarian.
Then I got my cholesterol count. 243!!! Yikes!!!
Then I discovered cholesterol is only in animal products.
That was enough for me.
I just started about three weeks ago and I feel great.
I don't even crave junk food.
I don't even have the desire to overeat! That is so new for me.

Is there a whole foods market near you?
The one near me has some good prepared veggie dinners and wraps.
Dinning out will be a challenge. Unless you only want salad.

Don't expect people to understand.
I don't know anyone who is a vegetarian personaly.

Oh yes I must say. The Weight Watchers community forum has a vegetarian board. These are some of the nicest and most intelligent people you ever want to post to.

Good luck,

Joyce

I read Skinny Bitch about 2 1/2 years ago and became vegetarian as did my husband. First, we cleared out all of our cupboards and fridge from non-vegetarian items. There is a lot for you to eat out there. So don't think it's too limited. Just be careful when you go out to eat and ask what's in the meal. For example, many Italian places add beef stock or chicken stock to their tomatoe sauce. My cholesterol count was also similar, at 240. It's now down to the high 150's. Keep in mind that Skinny Bitch is advocating a vegan diet. I tried that for three months, but found it extremely difficult, especially when it came to eating more protein without higher carbs. A vegetarian lifestyle fits in really well with eating clean as well.

Here's a few food items I can't do without:

-Almond Butter, Hazelnut butter, peanut butter
-Tofu (use hard tofu to make stir fries, and you can use silken tofu to blend into a shake or to make a pretend egg white omelette
-fat free cottage cheese
-Egg whites ( I love making brocolli, egg whites and fat free cheese)
-All sorts of beans
-Quinoa
-vegetarian burgers when I don't have time as well as soy burgers. The latter have a much higher protein count and satisfy you more than the mashed pototoe/carrots type of burgers.

One last thing, be careful when you eat out at restaurants. Much vegetarian fare is higher in calories, sometimes double the amount of other food items because they add so much dairy to the meal. However, don't let that limit you. In fact, I think I eat more variety now than I did when I ate meat because I'm more inclined to try out new things.

Good luck!

Rita

Hi there! How exciting!

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the local veggie resources, like vegetarian restaurants and health-food stores that will carry the veg*n resources you'll need for cooking.

Some web resources you might enjoy...

www.veganfreak.net The book "Vegan Freak" is a terrific resource, and the website and forums are great, too. Also, they have links to vegan stores online.

www.veganyumyum.com If you like to cook, you need to see this, veg*an or not!

http://vegansuperhero.blogspot.com/ is a relatively new blog that has brief explanations of some vegan issues, links, and the occasional recipe.

I just discovered this site:

http://www.vegblogs.com/

It has an inventory of veg*an blogs all over the internet. there's also www.theppk.com, the "Post Punk Kitchen", which has forums, advice, recipes, etc that are really helpful. I find web resources really useful, because I don't know a lot of other vegans. So, if I want to know how to make vegan macaroni-and-not-cheese, I have to Google around until I find a plausible recipe.

I just finished a great book, "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell and I'm pretty sure everyone should check that out.

Since you're posting on the Cathe forums, you're probably also concerned with fitness and clean eating. Many of Tosca Reno's recipes have vegan versions. Although a lot of bodybuilders claim you cannot build muscle on a vegan diet, I have not found that to be true.

I eat a huge variety of proteins, including the usual suspects, like tofu and TVP (textured vegetable protein), but also tempeh, seitan, beans, nuts, and nutritional yeast. I try to make my own as much as possible and stay away from the more processed stuff (I do love Boca burgers; but they're a "sometimes food").

Good luck!

Dee

Good for you. Adrienne!

I became a vegetarian in 1976, and have never looked back. Now, I'm a vegan. Going vegetarian wasn't hard at all for me mentally or ethically, but at the time, it was much harder to find veggie options than is it today, and vegetarianism was looked upon as really out there. I also was 'almost-vegan' very soon on, giving up dairy and eggs, but still eating some foods that contained small amounts of them.

Just like with other ways of eating, it's possible to have a 'bad' veg*n diet or a health-promotiing veg*n diet. Some resources can help. To start, it's a good idea to pick up a nutrition reference and "how to' like "Becoming Vegetarian" (available at www.veganessentials.com where you can also see some other books). www.vegsource.com is a good web resource. I haven't read "Skinny Bitch" (but I'm glad it's turning people onto veg*ism!), but I've read a food column by the author, and have also heard that they rely quite a bit on processed foods. Not the healthiest way to be veggie in the long run. I also highly recommend Dr. Fuhrman's two newest books (available from his web site -- www.drfuhrman.com -- or at Amazon). They will give you a basis for a healthy veg*n diet.

Practically, there are three ways to incorporate veggie meals into your current diet:
You probably have some foods and meals that you like already that are vegetarian without even trying. Think of ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner and see how many "already vegetarian" dishes you can come up with. Many ethnic cuisines offer veg*n dishes. Think mid-eastern falafel and tablouli, Chinese veggie stir-fry with tofu, Mexican rice and beans in a corn tortilla...

Other foods and meals can be easily converted with a few simple substitutions or omissions. For example, chili with beans and seitan instead of meat, soy milk in place of dairy milk in a recipe (if you choose to give up dairy--and if you are going veg*n for ethical reasons, you probably are).

A good cookbook, like "Vegan Planet", will give you some new recipes to try (there is also a recipe section at vegsource.com ).

Some newer vegetarians rely heavily on meat analogs, like soy hot dogs, burgers, etc., but I recommend that you use these mainly as transition foods, or ocassionally. They are highly processed and not as healthy as other veggie foods in the long run.

There are several veg*ns on the forum, and we would be very happy to help you with any questions you may have, or to give you some motivation as needed.

Another resource: www.vegangal.com . She also has a great DVD that includes a scene of her showing how work the menu to get a healthy meal you can eat in almost any restaurant. I used her technique the other day, and had 'too much to eat' in a restaurant where I thought I'd find not much!

There is the classic book Becoming Vegetarian that has lots of info. I recently read Becoming Vegetarian for Dummies (my first Dummies book) and it was helpful--not as intimadating as Becoming Vegetarian. It took me awhile to get comfortable with "What am I going to make for dinner tonite?" but now I am past that. Try your library for some vegetatian cookbooks. Good luck!

Another resource for motivation and 'sticking with it' : VegNews (less a mainstream/recipe collection magazine than what Vegetarian Times has become in recent years). You can get a free sample copy at www.vegnews.com (they also have a good list of links to resources on their site).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.