Beachbody question

firemedic

Cathlete
Has anyone tried the 80 Day Obsession from BeachBody? I see that they have a 14 day free trial and that was advertised and I've never seen that one before. I've tried a few of the others from beachbody but did not care for them, it was the instructors, for some reason. But this one intrigued me and thought I would ask here for anyone who's tried it.

Thanks
Kim

I have tried Beachbody and I didn’t like it. I didn’t like the instructors. The Insanity guy did some of the workout and then pointed to the people doing it. I thought there workouts had jerky movements. I cancelled there plan. I like Cathe because to me it makes sense.

I can't speak to 80 Day Obsession, but I have tried another of Autumn Calabrese's programs, Country Heat . (Yeah, I know. Don't judge :-0. I was gifted those videos). I have to say that I was fairly surprised that I actually enjoyed the workouts, her personality, and the instruction, but I can see how she won't be for everyone. Having seen the ads for 80 Day Obsession, I'll probably try it someday based on my experience with Country Heat. Why not give the free trial a go and see if you like it?

But I have to agree with the assessment of Sean T - I did an entire rotation of Transform 20 as an add-on to Mark Lauren's YAYOG and I was really glad it was over. I found him hard to follow and his moves overly complicated and rushed. Most of the time when he would switch to a new move, I would have to spend the first few seconds rewinding to see what the move was so I could do. Not fun and counterproductive. I really don't know why his workouts are so popular - maybe I just tried the wrong one.

@firemedic , my personal experience with Autumn, and many of the BB instructors, is that their form is terrible (like inviting an injury) and their chattering becomes irritating. I couldn't get through 1 week of 80 Day Obsession for these reasons. Having trained with Cathe for almost 20 years, I have become spoiled by her impeccable form and cues, and her pleasant personality. I could have muted Autumn and I'm experienced enough to know how to execute moves with proper form, but I just didn't want to waste my time since there are so many other workouts from instructors whom I enjoy much much more (Cathe, Heather Robertson on YT, etc). Just my experience

Thank you all for your input. I'm glad that it wasn't just me that had issues with some instructors. I love Cathe and have been following her for about 20+ yrs but sometimes it's good to look at others. I have tried others in the past, not just beachbody, and always stop because they are annoying or I hate their form on doing workouts.

I have a BB membership, but I'm going to let it go when its up for renewal.
I just think way to many of the workouts seem very " lets put this move and this move and this move together" but none of the moves actually go together in a logical manner. Like they threw darts at a dartboard with moves and whatever got hit got put together. Not safe at all.

Like or hate Beachbody, it was P90X (for which I paid full price for the DVDs) that got me back into working out again after a long off and on hiatus. Just sayin.

I have a lot of Cathe, but I have a lot of other DVD's/subscriptions as well. Quite frankly, I can't do too long of one instructor forever (including Cathe), and I find I need to mix it up. Don't get me wrong, I have been working out with Cathe since Pure Strength and Maximum Body Strength (? not sure of the title anymore, but it was on VHS and not available anymore), but I can't just do Cathe every day. (at last count, I think I have about 1500 workout DVDs that I rotate) To me, you have to take Beachbody for what it is worth. Clearly they are a marketing enterprise first, but they have still given me a refreshing break with new ideas, new instructors, and some fun like Country Heat. They have enough variety that you can pick and choose what works for you. There is much to criticize about Beachbody, but there are also a few alternative workout perspectives that I have enjoyed and appreciate. Can't bring myself to totally dis them.

Has anyone tried the 80 Day Obsession from BeachBody? I see that they have a 14 day free trial and that was advertised and I've never seen that one before. I've tried a few of the others from beachbody but did not care for them, it was the instructors, for some reason. But this one intrigued me and thought I would ask here for anyone who's tried it.

Thanks
Kim
I did 80 day obsession a couple of times. It’s a solid workout program. It’s done in real time -meaning there are 80 different days. I liked it. Definitely saw results.

I did 80 day obsession a couple of times. It’s a solid workout program. It’s done in real time -meaning there are 80 different days. I liked it. Definitely saw results.
That is why I was maybe interested in this because I saw that it was 80 different days. All I can do is just try the 14 day trial and see if I like it. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Kim, my husband and I both did 80 day obsession a few years ago. We both enjoined it.There is a modifier. I agree, it's a solid workout program. I can't remember much about the music. Just try the 14 day trial and see if you like it.

I like 80 Day Obsession because it really activates the glutes which has helped me with my knee issues. I have not made it all the way through the 80 days, however, without switching back to Cathe!!! I'm trying once more and supplementing, at least at the start, with short cardio workouts from Cathe a few times a week. There's a trainer who creates hybrid programs with Beachbody workouts and running. Running's off the table right now because we have snow and ice and I'm avoiding the gym until public health improves so I'm using Cathe videos instead.

I think I started 80 day once but balked due to the length of workouts, I thought they were good, didn't have the time for the whole program. I've done a few other BB programs, older ones, lost interest in the newer stuff. I have enough stuff.

Like or hate Beachbody, it was P90X (for which I paid full price for the DVDs) that got me back into working out again after a long off and on hiatus. Just sayin.
Agreed! P90x is a classic, and TOTALLY transformed my body! I also really like the total body strength workouts in Hammer & Chisel, along with the functional strength programs 4 Weeks of the Prep, 8 Weeks of the Work and 645. I've never done 80DO, but my plan (one day) is to do a hybrid STS + 80DO rotation, since the calendars would line up perfectly. And last but not least: Slim Series is the mother of all 'slim down' programs. It's been out FOREVER, but there's nothing like it. In 4 weeks, you'll be a size smaller. Period. Let me also give an honorable mention to Morning Meltdown, 10 Rounds, Let's Get Up, and Liift4.

Around 2012-13 I was a Beachbody coach and bought many of the DVDs. At that time I also had many of Cathe's, but I had trouble with keeping up with the Step workouts so I tried Beachbody. I liked T25 by Shawn T, but it seems like many of the BeachBody workouts try to keep their workouts to 30 minutes or less. I liked Tony Horton, BodyBeast (one of my favorites), and Chaleen Extreme. Autumn's workouts are good also. I find that I need to use two 30 minute workouts to even come close to Cathe's workouts. I now have most of Cathe's DVD's, and my favorite is STS. I do not like subscription services like Beachbody now offers, I like to have the DVD's handy whenever I want to plan a workout.

I've been a Cathlete for over 10 years, but I've done some Beachbody programs. I've never done 80 Day Obsession, I came very close to doing it, but ended up changing my mind. I have done 21 Day Fix Extreme with Autumn Calabrese and liked it for the most part. The Plyo Legs and Upper Fix Extreme were really solid workouts and packed a lot into 30 minutes.

I liked Brazil Butt Lift and can say that I noticed a difference in my butt with some of the intense floor work with ankle weights versus traditional standing butt and leg workouts. Rio Extreme was a really fun cardio and weights type routine. I did Insanity and it about killed me, I remember being on my hands and knees thinking OMG this is HARD! I also did Insanity Asylum 1 & 2 which was more sports oriented stuff including the speed ladder. Speed ladder looked easy until I actually did it. I also did Chalean Extreme and that's when I bought my BowFlex select tech dumbbells that go from 5-50 pounds. Chalean Extreme was a good program although there were times that Chalene tried to lift super heavy and her form looked crappy. Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire were highly addictive. I did the entire Turbo Fire rotation, but afterwards, I'd just use of the Fire dvds for my cardio during the week. I also would mix Turbo Fire or Jam with Cathe too. I did the Beachbody stuff for some extra variety, but overall, I'm back to Cathe workouts now. And, I shied away from the ICE series because I thought "Intermediate" was going to be too easy for me. WRONG! I did Chiseled Lower Body blast yesterday including the Blizzard blast (one legged burpees!!!??? Holy moly!) and my legs were so sore I thought I was gonna need one of those motorized sit and shop carts when I went to Kroger later that morning. There is nothing better than your legs talking back to you at the grocery store! I also love, love, love Cardio Slam from Strong and Sweaty. That workout packs a lot into a relatively short amount of time. Its a great Saturday morning workout for when I don't get up early, but don't want to do a long workout. And the Boot Camp from both ICE and Strong & Sweaty are superb. Fit Split is really tough and Perfect 30's Perfect HIIT and Perfect Pump once again give you a lot of bang for your buck. I've been on a little Cathe DVD shopping spree because I'm celebrating almost 2 years of sobriety! June 14 will be 2 years!!!!!

But I will say that HIIT 40/20 from the Shock Cardio HIIT dvd is the mother of all HIIT workouts. I have to pause and take a quick break after doing the lateral jumps over the step because my legs won't let me go right into the final box jumps exercise.

I've purchased quite a few Beachbody DVD sets but I have never managed to complete a full Beachbody program. The closest I got was Focus T25 and BodyBeast, where I at least did all the workouts. For others I did a few workouts from the program but then went back to Cathe. I did manage to complete Cathe's STS program so it's not like I can't stick to a program.

With Beachbody I find the music and lady silhouette that they scroll across the screen at the beginning of the DVDs and the constant advertising for sports supplements like Shakeology throughout the DVDs annoying.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.