BD-3 or D-8 Valor Squat Stands

workoutaholic

Cathlete
WHOA! Nevermind, I just found the BD-8 on sale cheaper than the BD-3 on overstock.com!

http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/BD-3-Squat-Stands-p-16171.html
http://valorathleticsinc.com/store/BD-8-Deluxe-Squat-Stands-p-16340.html

Now that the BD-3 stands are in stock online again, I was about to buy them, and then I noticed the BD-8 stands. I hadn't seen those before. I think the only difference is that you can store your weight plates on the BD-8, and a benefit of that feature is that the whole thing becomes sturdier.

For those of you who have the BD-3 stands, I want to use these stands to also do modified pullups, so do you think the extra price of the BD-8 stands is worth it for the extra sturdiness?

Last edited:
How are you planning on using it as a pull up station? By just resting a barbell across the catches? Just curious. I am not sure that it will be safe for you to use it as a pull up tower.

Sad though that these BD stands can be used as squat stands and even for bench presses but not for pull up. Cathe's pull up tower can be doubled as bench press, but not as squat stand. Would be nice to have one equipment that will support all three functions and still be portable.

Yep, just resting a barbell across. A lot of others have mentioned that they've used the BD-3 squat stands for modified pullups (with a barbell like I'm planning) and it works pretty well.

Without any problems , you can use the stands to do modified pullups

Last edited:
I have to stop reading this forum, it's bad for my credit card. Got the gowear fit, and now the Bd-8 stands. I would not have thought I needed them but I just easily benched 40# and I never thought I would bench that much. If I get better I will not be able to get the weight to the ready position easily.

For those of you looking for a versatile piece of equipment that will work for all STS exercises:

I purchased a Gold's Gym weight bench set at Walmart for $170 where the bench is separate from the stands. It is very sturdy and I use it for bench press, raise the stands for a squat rack and have also used it for a pull up tower. Best investment I made for the STS program.

I am finding it a very sturdy piece of equipment if you have the room.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5280822

Last edited:
parkercp, I know! My husband is gonna kill me. But I did at least resist Cathe's power tower. : ) I am so glad I ordered the BD-8 stands, though, because now I feel like I have one piece of equipment that is small, easily movable, and can do squats, modified pullups, and bench presses with.

Wow sunshine, that looks really cool, and you get a weight bench with it! Does the troy lite barbell fit on that?

For those of you looking for a versatile piece of equipment that will work for all STS exercises:

I purchased a Gold's Gym weight bench set at Walmart for $170 where the bench is separate from the stands. It is very sturdy and I use it for bench press, raise the stands for a squat rack and have also used it for a pull up tower. Best investment I made for the STS program.

I am finding it a very sturdy piece of equipment if you have the room.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5280822

Thanks for sharing this!! This looks like exactly what I am looking for! I'm going to need a second job if I keep hanging out on this forum! :D

Shoot! Looks like the width between the posts on the Gold's Gym thing is 49.5 in., and I measured my Troy Lite bar and it's much shorter between the plate stoppers. I almost cancelled my overstock order! : )

Okay, so people are doing modified pull-ups with the barbell...apparently it works right? Good idea!

Last edited:
I received the BD-8 stands from Overstock today. Took awhile for my mechanical challenged brain to figure out the installation (what you get never matches the instructions), but I got them put together.

They are easy to move and seem sturdy. I have a fold away weight bench and I have to have them set on the lowest setting to be able to have the bar low enough to reach. I finally figured out how to put the safety stop in, there is a right and left piece and I was not using the correct one for the side and now I have it installed and at the lowest setting.

I'm looking forward to using them for my modified pull ups and chin ups. The bar over the door with the step stool was just not doing it for me.

Last edited:
I received the BD-8 stands from Overstock today. Took awhile for my mechanical challenged brain to figure out the installation (what you get never matches the instructions), but I got them put together.

They are easy to move and seem sturdy. I have a fold away weight bench and I have to have them set on the lowest setting to be able to have the bar low enough to reach. I cannot have the safety catch installed for it to be low enough for my bench.

I'm looking forward to using them for my modified pull ups and chin ups. The bar over the door with the step stool was just not doing it for me.

Hi Parkercp:
I ordered the BD-8 also, but, mine won't get here until June 2(because I live far away--Portland). Anyway, I have lots of risers for my step, and wondered if you can see if the step bench + risers fit between the upright posts. BD-8 looks slightly different in it's construction, than the BD-3, so, I am just curious to know. If not, I will HAVE to buy a weight bench...:confused:. (Well, I think I would like a weight bench even if the step bench fits nicely between the uprights;)) What brand/model is your foldaway weight bench?

Also, I saw your previous post about installing the hooks. Did you figure out what to do the black square thing you were talking about? I may have the same problems putting this together, too, when I receive it!

thanks!

Hi Parkercp:
wondered if you can see if the step bench + risers fit between the upright posts. BD-8 looks slightly different in it's construction.....Also, I saw your previous post about installing the hooks. Did you figure out what to do the black square thing you were talking about? I may have the same problems putting this together, too, when I receive it!

thanks!

With the Troy lite bar there is approx. 15" between the feet. You can probably get a little more distance if you removed the rubber feet. Yup, the black square goes in the top of the bottom rack then you slip the top rack into the bottom. Wait I just figured it out !!! The black safety stop has a right and left piece and I was putting the wrong piece on the wrong side. Slide the safety stop down over the bottom support upright and lock it in with the locking piece on the inside THEN put the black square cap over the bottom support upright hole THEN put the top piece in and then lock it with the hook.

Last edited:
With the Troy lite bar there is approx. 15" between the feet. You can probably get a little more distance if you removed the rubber feet. Yup, the black square goes in the top of the bottom rack then you slip the top rack into the bottom. Wait I just figured it out !!! The black safety stop has a right and left piece and I was putting the wrong piece on the wrong side. Slide the safety stop down over the bottom support upright and lock it in with the locking piece on the inside THEN put the black square cap over the bottom support upright hole THEN put the top piece in and then lock it with the hook.

:DThanks for the instructions on the instructions -- I will make use of them when my BD-8 gets here! I'm going to measure my risers + bench when I get home tonight, too!

Do you use the Troy Lite to do the pullups? What is the weight capacity of the Barbell? I weigh ~130. Is that too much for the Barbell? I don't want it to break when I'm attempting a pullup!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.