Barefoot running

elsie3

Cathlete
I'm seriously intrigued. Does anyone have any experience with barefoot running? How do you feel about it? What type of foot protection do you use--i.e. Vibram 5 fingers, etc.

I've just finished "Born to Run" and everything the author says about shoes fits right in with my experiences. The only times I've flirted with injury was when I had shoes that corrected for over-pronation (found out I was a neutral runner despite my flat, wide feet--oops), and when I was doing speedwork and my stride got out of whack--I heel strike more. I've ALWAYS been plagued with blisters (no matter what shoes/socks I try). And the only shoes I'm truly comfortable in and that don't give me blisters (once they were broken-in) are a pair that I've had for years and are totally worn out.

Thanks for your input.

I have some friends that are very into barefoot running and it works for them. I do not think that the shoes we wear in this society are the be all end all. I would say if it intrigues you go for it, just start out slowly to let the structures in your feet become used to the new motion and stresses.

I kicked around the idea of getting a pair of Vibram when the weather gets nice again. I did try running barefoot on the treadmill once, but had to put my socks on because I hated how the belt felt against my skin. I've read quite a bit about barefoot running, and those who do it love it.

I love my sprint five fingers! I have not done any running in them, but I've walked everywhere and hiked in the woods for short 3 mile hikes. I do all my strength, Kickboxing and other non high impact in them.This spring I am definitly going to switch to Vibram Bikila. There the ones they've designed specifically for running.
From what I've read start really slooooow. Calf soreness is the common complaint from beginer barefoot runners.

I love my sprint five fingers! I have not done any running in them, but I've walked everywhere and hiked in the woods for short 3 mile hikes. I do all my strength, Kickboxing and other non high impact in them.This spring I am definitly going to switch to Vibram Bikila. There the ones they've designed specifically for running.
From what I've read start really slooooow. Calf soreness is the common complaint from beginer barefoot runners.

I do my strength training barefoot too. The only time it becomes a problem is when I add a stability ball ab workout and have to pike. Sorta need the sneakers for that one. Have you done that in your five fingers?

Yes! The toes have a rubber type undersole to them. Whatever I did with shoes I do with my five fingers. I just haven't been doing high impact (other than running) lately.

The only complaint I have about my five fingers is that my feet get an oder to them. During the summer my feet sweat a lot while I wore them. You can feel the heat of the ground. They're washable and I put a foot talc powder in them. I've also worn toe socks(injinji brand) with them.

I initially started wearing them because of a neuroma I developed from wearing Ryka cross trainers and using the elliptical. The five fingers keep my toes seperated giving the nerve room. They help prevent swelling of the nerve between my third and fourth toes.

Probably more than you wanted to know.;)

No, that's interesting. I may have to get a pair next year. Coming up on sub-freezing weather, so it can wait. Then again.... I could use the winter months to get used to them on the treadmill. Hmmmmmm...

I don't know about barefoot running...do you mean on a treadmill? I like to exercise barefoot and for a fight if I'm on a real soft almost mat like ring I fight barefoot because I can grip with my toes real good.

Liz

I love my Vibrams! I bought some in the spring knowing I would have to do a series of outdoor conditioning workouts as a black belt and I didn't want to be kicking and doing my forms in my clunky tennis shoes. The first few times I ran in them, I could hardly walk the next few days my lower legs and feet were so sore! I use them when I strength train and do Hiit at home.

This discussion is very interesting. I have always felt that my shoes were affecting my running stride as I would run barefoot in Minnesota and it just felt better. May have to give these a try :)
Julie

I have two pairs of the Vibram five fingers and LOVE them. I have the KSO's and the Bikilas( more for running). I have been able to run in them, I weight train in them. And yes, I can do pikes in them on the stability ball. I have had knee issues that have kept me from running for any great distance. The bikilas have helped a great deal and I've been able to run a bit more. I'm still injury prone so even with the Bikilas I have to be careful.The only things I wouldn't use them for is spinning, cycling or high impact aerobics. At the same time I can't see myself using a regular running shoe ever again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.