Bare Escentuals convert -- WOW!

RunninTeach

Cathlete
I know this topic has come up on these threads before...I read them with interest (I think it was in the fall) but did not want to invest in any new makeup at the time b/c I'd just purchased a bunch of Bobbi Brown products, which were too pricey to not use.

Started talking skin/makeup with my chiro's receptionist this morning, and she urged me to try the BE starter kit. I'm not the most gifted when it comes to makeup application, but wow! I can't believe how good and how natural my skin looks! (I'm in my last month of taking Accutane, so I've really been through the ringer with skin gone ape.)

After watching the instructional DVD and checking out the QVC and BE sites, I am a tad overwhelmed with all that's out there. Can anyone recommend some additional keep-it-simple must-haves? I don't know where to start and want to spend my money wisely. Would like to branch into the eye makeup, but I am at a TOTAL loss when it comes to eyes.

TIA for any suggestions and for sharing about these products in the past.

~Cathy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

My must have is Summer Bisque. If I could buy it in a tub I would! I use it all around my eyes, it's especially great for under the eyes. I use it as a concealer and also the middle of my face flushes really easily so I'll put it over my cheeks and nose. LOVE IT!

I use BE too! And love it! So easy, mistake proof. Some have said they didn't like it cause it settled into fine lines and wrinkles.

MY Must have : I use a primer - Velvet Skin by DHC (www.dhcskincare.com)its a clear, gel substance. THis is my favorite product of all time! You can use it alone too (smooths skin great!). Totally keeps makeup looking fresh all day - and keeps shine down. It will also help for a more even application of foundation and won't allow make-up to settle in those lines. Its very good on sensitive skin. HIGHLY recommend it :) I like BE's primer-skin rever up- but I like DHC's Velvet skin a ton better :)

I have to have the Well Rested shadow base. It really brightens up my eyes and is great as a base and a highlighter.
Melissa

. Would like to branch into the eye makeup, but I
>am at a TOTAL loss when it comes to eyes.
>
>TIA for any suggestions and for sharing about these products
>in the past.
>
>~Cathy
>http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
>
>"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and
>the persons we were destined to be."
-George Sheehan

I have way too much BE and find myself using my favorites, so I understand you being overwhelmed. If you are not used to wearing eye shadow you will probably like Bare Skin.. Also, if you decide to purchase Bisque or Summer Bisque for concealing, you can use it as an eyeshadow (since actually it is eyeshadow),in fact I use Bisque for eyeshadow more often than not, it covers all my color inperfections on my eyelids.
My favorite Blush Color is True.

I also use Summer Bisque as a concealor around my eyes and when I have red areas due to rosacea. Other than that, I just use the regular mineral foundation. I don't think you really need the whole shebang if you're not going to use it all. If you have a Sephora near you, you can stop in and test the colors to see which is best for your skin, then you only need to buy the one foundation instead of the whole starter kit (unless, of course, you would use most or all of the stuff in it).

Oh my gosh! I love BE too. I've had problems with breakouts after high school and into adulthood, especially when using makeup. I bought my starter kit at an ULTA store and even sleep with it on my face when I'm really tired. My face actually looks better when I wake up the next day (not so oily). I've never had any breakouts from it.

It does get expensive. I ordered the well-rested eye shadow and the summer bisque from QVC, and I think they work great. The well-rested eye shadow makes my eyes seem brighter. I use summer bisque all over my face, followed by the foundation, and then the mineral veil. With my oily skin, I never have to touch up at all. I have even used the blushes from the starter kit as eye shadows.

Thank you for the suggestions! I plan to go back to Ulta today and will pick up the Summer Bisque, either the BareVitamins or DHC Velvet Skin if they have it, and probably the Get Started Eyes kit. I'm on the bubble about the Well Rested.

If the Summer Bisque is a concealer/eyeshadow, how is it different from Well Rested, which is also a concealer, right?

Jill, I did already buy the starter kit, but I think that was a good pick for me as it came with the brushes and the instructional DVD.
I really am starting from the ground up. Though I wear makeup to work or when I go out, I've never really used brushes for application, and on the rare occasions when I've done my eyes, I keep it simple because I have no idea how to contour or blend or anything like that. Uh, yeah, I'm a total dunce. *lol*

ETA: I don't want to annoy anyone with questions that have come up before, so I'm searching through old BE threads and reading up now. I should've done that first, but I was just so excited yesterday after the first application!

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

I think it's def worth it to buy the starter kit when you are new to BE. Because you get the 3 brushes, which REALLY ARE key to the whole thing! Plus, you are gettting the essential mineral veil, and bronzer ... the only real "xrta" non-essential thing in there is the 2nd shade of foundation....but they are smaller tubs, and I used the lighter of my foundation shades as a concealer first (in the same way I now use the bisque).

And the price for all the essentials you get in the kit is a phenominal deal compared to if you had to buy all the brushes and stuff individually.

Come to think of it, I started with the starter kit as well because it came with the brushes and everything.

I don't do much with the eyemakeup...I wear the shadows, but just a little bit...I don't 'do' up my eyes, if you know what I mean. You can go to ebay and buy little samples that people make for just a few bucks. I think it's worth it because it still gives you a lot of uses and you're not spending $15 or $20 on something you might not like.

Back from my shopping spree and feeling giddy :) ...I picked up the Summer Bisque, Get Started eye kit, lip liner (nude), buzz latte, retractable brush (for my purse), and Prime Time primer. Cha-ching! *lol*

Did my eyes, and for someone as clueless as I am when it comes to eyeshadow, I'm really impressed with the colors and how good it turned out.

It's good to know that about ebay...although the Ulta salesperson did say any of the products could be returned within 30 days. Makes me feel less apprehensive about droppin' that much cash on cosmetics.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm hooked!

This might be gross, but I deliberately worked out yesterday with my makeup still on, just to test how it would hold up. I thought it would be all over the place, but to my surprise, the eye makeup, in particular, still looked good afterward.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.