Barbells vs. free weights

Both barbells and dumbells are 'freeweights', but if you mean dumbells rather than barbells, the short answer is yes.

The longer answer: actually, dumbells have some advantages to barbells, such as working each side equally (without allowing the stronger side to compensate for the weak side) and engaging more stabilizing muscles.

About the only advantage barbells have is comfort and convenience of weight placement for some moves like squats. You can also lift more total weight with a barbell (but part of this is because of the compensation and because of using fewer stabilizing muscles).

>You can also lift more total weight with a barbell (but part
>of this is because of the compensation and because of using
>fewer stabilizing muscles).

That must be why Cathe can always lift more weight than me. It must be the barbell;) Those stabilizing muscles must be holding me back.

I prefer dumbbells to a barbell even though I have both. I rarely use my barbell except for squats. Dumbbells just feel better in my hands.

I am certainly no expert, but I don't see why you can't substitute free weights for a barbell.

The only place that a barbell would be preferable is during calf raises and you can use a broom handle since you are just balancing with the barbell on those exercises.

I worked out for a long time with just free weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.