Barbell question

Hi, Lorna. I'm far from an expert, but here's a reply.

The S-like bar is called a "curl bar." It is used for things like biceps curls (curl bar--get it??) The S shape changes the mechanics of the lift in some way. That's the part I don't know much about.

The only barbell I own is a curl bar--the curves are shallow--and I use it for everything. I selected it because it is a good weight and length for me (about 11 lbs., one-inch diameter plates, about 4 ft. long). Works just fine. The curves are in two positions, wider and closer together on the bar. The wide handholds work for overhead lifts, biceps curls, deadlifts, etc. The closer grips work for close-grip triceps presses and other things.

With each variation in grip, you'll be working the muscles in a different way. That's why learning as much as you can about form in weight lifting is important. Of course, a straight bar allows you to grip the bar anywhere you want, so it allows for maximum versatility.

Hi girls, I, too, have a shallow "s" type barbell, because I couldnt find a straight one in a store around here (CT) but it drove me crazy because I always felt like my wrists werent in a proper position, I dont know, but something felt weird about it.So, I read some peoples suggestions on the forum and finally ordered a troy lite barbell from fitness1st.com. I was about $17.50, pretty reasonable, but the shipping ended up being 11.50 or so, and they dont tell you the shipping costs when you order. It was worth it though. I love it, it is so much easier to work with (my own opinion of course) then the s bar, and I can still use the s bar for when you have to load the weights heavy at one end, it saves me time from having to switch the weights back and forth. Judy

Thanks for the info ladies! I was concerned with the S-bar since these might be designed for broad-shouldered men. I am far from being broad shouldered.
Lorna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.