Barbell advice_Troy Lite vs. Troy?

mobrien1

Hi there,
I read a thread in the ask Cathe section and followed a link to a website selling the Troy Lite weight set.

I'm a Cathe newbie (got bodyblast set this week) and have only done the kick,punch,crunch (LOVED IT!!)...haven't used my barbells yet.

I was at target and bought a troy set there , the plates screwed on, and the bar itself is about 12 pounds. needless to say i will probably never use all of the plates that came with it (approx 100lbs..yikes). but i did like the 'suitcase' type thing with wheels that it came in.
i assume that the "clips" in the troy lite (versus screwing them on), the rubber coated plates, and the lighter bar would make more sense for me. i can probably return what i bought (assuming i can get it into the car!)

sorry to ramble...my questions are: do the clips vs. screwing on/off plates make a big difference?
does the troy lite set come with any sort of storage thing?

i appreciate your help...i am excited to do more of my cathe dvds.

michelle

Hi, Michelle! I have the Troy Lite and I love it. The bar, which comes with clips, is 5 pounds. It has a pair of 10 pound rubberized plates, a pair of 7.5 pound rubberized plate, a pair of 5 pound rubberized plates and four 2.5 pound rubberized plates for a total of 60 pounds. Clips are more easily and quickly removed and put on than the screw on thingamabobs. It didn't come with any sort of storage and the bar,which is shorter than a standard barbell, is one piece. I hope this helps!

Bobbi

Just a clarification, unless Bobbi found some other source for the Troy lite that has this configuration, the set doesn't come with 10# plates, just 7.5, 5 and four 2.5. You can, however, order extra 10# and even 1.25# plates.

I have a different kind of barbell that has a screw-on retention system, and it's a pain to use! The Troy is a much faster change (and using the clips will also strengthen your grip!), though still not fast enough to beat Cathe and crew when they change plates in PLB!

thank you so much for the input.

i guess i was a little overexcited to try my workout and bought the first thing i came across.

i will try digging up my receipt and somehow getting those weights back into the car and returned!!!

have a great weekend,

michelle

Michelle, the set from Amazon shipped for $5.00! It was $25.00 for an 80 pound set and I use it with the Troy light quite often since having two barbells loaded is convenient at times. It looks virtually the same as the one Cathe uses in the Pyramids and it comes with 20, 10 and 8 pound plastic plates which are filled with sand or something. The bar came in two peices and I tapped it together. It has clips and it's a very good value! Have fun!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.