Ball of the foot pain, anyone?

TG007

Cathlete
Hi,

Anyone has ball of the foot pain? How do you deal with it? Have you recovered? How long did it take? How did you do that?

I started having mine last year together with a little knee pain (on the ligament not the joints).

Now I have more pain on the ball of the foot, ankles and knees.

May be because I've been trying to find inserts and shoes that I hope would help and end up hurting more.

Please share your experience. I'd like to know what else I should do and if I'll ever recovered from this.

Thank you!
TG

I had Morton's neuroma. I waited about a year, trying different home remedies;gel toe separators, ice, five finger toe shoes, no heels(although I didn't wear much heels). I stopped running and never stepped back on the elliptical. I finally went to a Podiatrist. He prescribed special orthotics and I did three rounds of cortisone shots. This has helped so much.

Just a note, before I seeked help I would have terrible shin splints in my other leg. I think I was compensating for the pain in my other foot.

Hi TG,

I am not sure if this will be of any help since the cause of our foot pain is probably different, but I will tell you my story.

In 2010 I was in a horrific motorcycle accident (could have been worse - at least I am alive!...except on Mondays.) The part of my body that was injured the most was my left foot and I was in a wheelchair for 9 months. My entire foot was so swollen, purple and painful I could not put a sheet over it at night, have the ceiling fan on above it or even rest my foot on the bed, floor, or anywhere because the pressure would literally make me cry. I basically had to suspend my foot by the ankle (which caused knee pain).

After about 9 months, the entire foot started getting better, however the soft pad underneath - the ball area - was so excrutiatingly sore I still could not walk. I was at least able to rest it in the wheelchair or on the bed, but could not put my weight on it. The motorcycle actually landed on my left foot on the SIDE right below my big toe, but somehow the nerve damage radiated to the ball. I continued to fully rest it (not walk) and would rub it very lightly with my hands several times per day. It was my thinking that I would train the nerves to have pressure again. I eventually was able to walk, but had to walk on my heel or on the outside of my foot - still couldn't put a lot of pressure on the ball. I then did some research for special shoes that would maybe take the pressure off the ball area. I found Skechers SRR (unfortunately they don't make them anymore. :mad: But luckily I have an arsenal left...that is dwindling). This shoe put the pressure on the arch of the foot. (They were similar to those Skecher Shape Up shoes that were so popular, however, the actual Shape Ups did NOT work for me, the SRR did.) I was able to walk endlessly in those, which was a miracle since the minute I took them off I was back to hopping and limping. Since I was feeling no pain while wearing those, I figured the ball of foot area was still getting its rest/healing opportunity.

I figured I would try the SRR for exercise, but my balance was thrown way off. Therefore for exercise I use Reebok RunTone (again, not made anymore :mad: but they do make a new Reebok EasyTone which I haven't tried yet). These shoes have little air pods under the ball and the heel, therefore when I walk, jump, whatever, I don't feel anything under the ball of foot. I kid you not when I say it was a miracle - I was able to go back to step and even HiiT. I did take it easier on the exercising versus the walking because I was so used to not walking/moving for so long I was hesitant to do any sudden movements.

I actually wore one or the other shoes everywhere - even inside the house. Again, since I wasn't feeling the ball pain I figured the ball was healing, but I was now able to get around without a wheelchair. It slowly got better and to the point I could wear regular shoes or even go barefoot (took maybe a year? But again, in that interim I was able to walk in those special shoes). However, when I would wear regular shoes for any long period (several hours), my ball would start getting sore and I would ice it and go back to the special shoes.

Fast forward to June 1st of this year. Prior I was finally at about 95% healed - again, just when I wore flip flops or barefoot I would start feeling it several hours later (but nothing that a night of rest didn't fix). Well, I got up on June 1st and for some reason my foot was sore and swollen. I don't know why. I had just gotten back from vacation (lots of walking, but I had my special shoes), did an MMA video that morning I have done tons of times, wore my good exercise shoes, etc. I still don't know what the cause was. I rested and continued to wear my special shoes while out. However, in the house I was walking barefoot on carpet / travertine and it was killing me. So - I went and searched for more special shoes I could wear indoors (slip-ons since I won't were tie-up tennis shoes inside). I got Skechers H2Go (look like jelly shoes from the 80s, but I only wear them indoors) and Skechers Go Walk (black - I kid you not, the grey and blue of the same model did NOT work). I did try the Skecher memory foam shoes that felt good in the store, but when I got them home, I realized it wasn't enough protection.

So now I wear these special slip-on shoes all the time - even indoors and my foot is so much better. I hate shoes and love to be barefoot, so I really had to force myself to keep them on. I bought enough pairs to keep at every door to the house and at the side of my bed (we don't wear our outside shoes indoors). And I even force myself to put them on in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. I noticed that even one or two little trips around the house without the shoes on would cause the pain to come back. I figure I needed to allow my foot to fully heal again and skipping the shoes here and there was not allowing the foot to heal.

It is now about 2.5 months since this last flare-up and I am 90% better. I do have 2 events coming up that I can't wear these shoes with since I will be wearing evening gowns. I plan on taking my black slip-ons just in case I feel a flare-up starting. As for other pain, I did rip both ankles apart but that is another thread and I don't think it got better/worse due to the ball pain/shoes. My RIGHT knee would hurt a lot and I think it was because I was compensating/limping because my LEFT ball of foot was injured. It was my right knee on the outside (not the joint). When I got the shoes and was able to walk normally without foot pain, my knee pain went away. Then when I had the ball flare up in June, sure enough the RIGHT knee pain returned and went away when I wore the shoes.

So in my case it was finding shoes to fully take pressure off of the ball and ALWAYS wearing them that helped - I really believe that is what made the nerves heal. Sure, I don't match a lot of the time but at least I am not in pain. I did try lots and lots of shoes before settling on these 4 pairs (2 of which are discontinued). Zappos/UPS was a staple at my house for about 4 months of trials. Also, I tried numerous inserts/gels, etc and nothing worked for me - caused more pressure/pain and even numbness.

Have you had your foot looked at by an expert? I have a few friends that have ball pain and it was from neuromas - worth looking into.

Good Luck. If you find a fix, please let me know as I am interested.

I had Morton's neuroma. I waited about a year, trying different home remedies;gel toe separators, ice, five finger toe shoes, no heels(although I didn't wear much heels). I stopped running and never stepped back on the elliptical. I finally went to a Podiatrist. He prescribed special orthotics and I did three rounds of cortisone shots. This has helped so much.

Just a note, before I seeked help I would have terrible shin splints in my other leg. I think I was compensating for the pain in my other foot.

OMG!!! cortisone shots! I'm about to die!

Hi TG,

I am not sure if this will be of any help since the cause of our foot pain is probably different, but I will tell you my story.

In 2010 I was in a horrific motorcycle accident (could have been worse - at least I am alive!...except on Mondays.) The part of my body that was injured the most was my left foot and I was in a wheelchair for 9 months. My entire foot was so swollen, purple and painful I could not put a sheet over it at night, have the ceiling fan on above it or even rest my foot on the bed, floor, or anywhere because the pressure would literally make me cry. I basically had to suspend my foot by the ankle (which caused knee pain).

After about 9 months, the entire foot started getting better, however the soft pad underneath - the ball area - was so excrutiatingly sore I still could not walk. I was at least able to rest it in the wheelchair or on the bed, but could not put my weight on it. The motorcycle actually landed on my left foot on the SIDE right below my big toe, but somehow the nerve damage radiated to the ball. I continued to fully rest it (not walk) and would rub it very lightly with my hands several times per day. It was my thinking that I would train the nerves to have pressure again. I eventually was able to walk, but had to walk on my heel or on the outside of my foot - still couldn't put a lot of pressure on the ball. I then did some research for special shoes that would maybe take the pressure off the ball area. I found Skechers SRR (unfortunately they don't make them anymore. :mad: But luckily I have an arsenal left...that is dwindling). This shoe put the pressure on the arch of the foot. (They were similar to those Skecher Shape Up shoes that were so popular, however, the actual Shape Ups did NOT work for me, the SRR did.) I was able to walk endlessly in those, which was a miracle since the minute I took them off I was back to hopping and limping. Since I was feeling no pain while wearing those, I figured the ball of foot area was still getting its rest/healing opportunity.

I figured I would try the SRR for exercise, but my balance was thrown way off. Therefore for exercise I use Reebok RunTone (again, not made anymore :mad: but they do make a new Reebok EasyTone which I haven't tried yet). These shoes have little air pods under the ball and the heel, therefore when I walk, jump, whatever, I don't feel anything under the ball of foot. I kid you not when I say it was a miracle - I was able to go back to step and even HiiT. I did take it easier on the exercising versus the walking because I was so used to not walking/moving for so long I was hesitant to do any sudden movements.

I actually wore one or the other shoes everywhere - even inside the house. Again, since I wasn't feeling the ball pain I figured the ball was healing, but I was now able to get around without a wheelchair. It slowly got better and to the point I could wear regular shoes or even go barefoot (took maybe a year? But again, in that interim I was able to walk in those special shoes). However, when I would wear regular shoes for any long period (several hours), my ball would start getting sore and I would ice it and go back to the special shoes.

Fast forward to June 1st of this year. Prior I was finally at about 95% healed - again, just when I wore flip flops or barefoot I would start feeling it several hours later (but nothing that a night of rest didn't fix). Well, I got up on June 1st and for some reason my foot was sore and swollen. I don't know why. I had just gotten back from vacation (lots of walking, but I had my special shoes), did an MMA video that morning I have done tons of times, wore my good exercise shoes, etc. I still don't know what the cause was. I rested and continued to wear my special shoes while out. However, in the house I was walking barefoot on carpet / travertine and it was killing me. So - I went and searched for more special shoes I could wear indoors (slip-ons since I won't were tie-up tennis shoes inside). I got Skechers H2Go (look like jelly shoes from the 80s, but I only wear them indoors) and Skechers Go Walk (black - I kid you not, the grey and blue of the same model did NOT work). I did try the Skecher memory foam shoes that felt good in the store, but when I got them home, I realized it wasn't enough protection.

So now I wear these special slip-on shoes all the time - even indoors and my foot is so much better. I hate shoes and love to be barefoot, so I really had to force myself to keep them on. I bought enough pairs to keep at every door to the house and at the side of my bed (we don't wear our outside shoes indoors). And I even force myself to put them on in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom. I noticed that even one or two little trips around the house without the shoes on would cause the pain to come back. I figure I needed to allow my foot to fully heal again and skipping the shoes here and there was not allowing the foot to heal.

It is now about 2.5 months since this last flare-up and I am 90% better. I do have 2 events coming up that I can't wear these shoes with since I will be wearing evening gowns. I plan on taking my black slip-ons just in case I feel a flare-up starting. As for other pain, I did rip both ankles apart but that is another thread and I don't think it got better/worse due to the ball pain/shoes. My RIGHT knee would hurt a lot and I think it was because I was compensating/limping because my LEFT ball of foot was injured. It was my right knee on the outside (not the joint). When I got the shoes and was able to walk normally without foot pain, my knee pain went away. Then when I had the ball flare up in June, sure enough the RIGHT knee pain returned and went away when I wore the shoes.

So in my case it was finding shoes to fully take pressure off of the ball and ALWAYS wearing them that helped - I really believe that is what made the nerves heal. Sure, I don't match a lot of the time but at least I am not in pain. I did try lots and lots of shoes before settling on these 4 pairs (2 of which are discontinued). Zappos/UPS was a staple at my house for about 4 months of trials. Also, I tried numerous inserts/gels, etc and nothing worked for me - caused more pressure/pain and even numbness.

Have you had your foot looked at by an expert? I have a few friends that have ball pain and it was from neuromas - worth looking into.

Good Luck. If you find a fix, please let me know as I am interested.

You've gone through so much! Hope you are back to 100% soon.
I'll check on those slip ons. The dr. said I have to wear shoes with supports all the time. Right now I have nothing to wear. None of my shoes work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.