Balance discs

I really want to purchase a balance disc especially since Cathe mentioned they will be used in the new series...but I'm unsure if I should get 1 or 2? What do you guys recommend? How are they typically used?

This short might help:

I purchased one, which for me will be plenty for awhile. Should Cathe use 2 for a squat as shown in the clip, I'll still just use one, then maybe graduate to using 2 small pillows to create a similiar balance challenge. Depending on my balance, I may not use it all while standing on one leg until my balance improves.

To be honest, I have never seen 2 discs used, as shown in that clip. I am with Debinmi,
I am not sure I will attempt that and if that is an exercise, I will just do uneven squat,
one foot on disc & one on floor…..and switch….. I do believe I need that one foot on
the floor:)

Thank you both! That helps a lot! I agree, I feel better with one foot on the floor too! I really like the idea of substituting with some pillows if I'm looking for an extra challenge!
Now off to do some shopping for some new Cathe toys☺️

I will not be using the disks. I think it’s great for those without joint problems to actually strengthen the joints, but once you have moderate/severe arthritis in joints like knees, ankles, etc, the more stress you place on them the worse it is. I found out too late that jumping around when you have arthritis makes it worse. I’d been following the ubiquitous advice (for years) that jumping strengthens the bones and joints, yes it does, but only if you don’t have joint problems already. Not that using disks is jumping, but it still places stress and instability on the joints, so if you have arthritis in your lower joints, be careful.

I will not be using the disks. I think it’s great for those without joint problems to actually strengthen the joints, but once you have moderate/severe arthritis in joints like knees, ankles, etc, the more stress you place on them the worse it is. I found out too late that jumping around when you have arthritis makes it worse. I’d been following the ubiquitous advice (for years) that jumping strengthens the bones and joints, yes it does, but only if you don’t have joint problems already. Not that using disks is jumping, but it still places stress and instability on the joints, so if you have arthritis in your lower joints, be careful.
Some good advice LJB! I plan to start the balance challenges with no disc and a bar/chair or wall nearby, and then move on to using one. You can adjust the challenge somewhat by how much/little you inflate the disc - but always, safety first! Like you say, if your joints aren't stable - be extra cautious!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.