Baking bread question

Nobuko

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate if someone would answer my question. I'm trying to rise the breaed dough in an oven since the room temperature is not warm enough for the dough to rise properly... What temperature an oven need to be to do so? Or can I do it in a microwave, too? Please help!

Heat your oven to 200 degrees then turn it OFF. Boil a tea kettle of water then pour the water into a cake pan and put it on very bottom rack of your oven. (A large caste iron skillet works even better a than a cake pan if you have on.) with the oven OFF now put your bread in on a rack above the water. It should rise quickly.

If you put your oven on to about 250 let it warm up, turn it off then put the bread in that should do the trick...of course every oven is different. HTH
Sarah

The oven light is perfect for rising bread.

Janie

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return"
Nature Boy by eden ahbez 1908-1995

Most ovens do not have a low enough setting so that they can stay on without cooking the dough. I agree with heating the oven at a low temperature, then turning it off. If you have a heating pad, that can work as well. Just set it on a low setting and put the bowl with the dough on top.

Cool air or old yeast will keep your bread dough from rising properly. If a bit of heat doesn't revive the yeast, you can mix a little more yeast into the dough.

Instructions
STEP 1: Create a warmer place for the dough: Fill a large pan with boiling water and place it in the oven on the lowest rack, or heat a mug of water for 2 minutes in a microwave.
STEP 2: Place the dough (in its bowl) in the oven or microwave along with the hot water. Leave it to rise.
STEP 3: If the dough still doesn't rise, add more yeast. Mix yeast from a new package with 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) warm water and 1/2 tsp. sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes until foam forms, to be sure the yeast is active.
STEP 4: Knead the yeast mixture into the dough.
STEP 5: Leave the dough in a warm place to rise.

If you have no more yeast, turn the dough into tasty crackers or breadsticks: Knead with grated cheese, roll thin, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, cut into squares or thin strips, then bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Ok I found this on the net....:)

Thank you everyone!

Thank you very much for a lot of helpuful answers! I'm now going to make some Japanese butter-roll!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.