Back to front DOMS question

Justinef

Cathlete
I know that you don't need to experience DOMS to generate hypertrophy....but what about the other way round? If you have DOMS, does that mean that you are building muscle?

I ask because I've just finished a body building rotation, and I have switched back to metabolic / Hiit / cardio etc. I did Supercuts yesterday and I'm experiencing the most intense (amazing?) DOMS I've had for a while. I love Supercuts, but don't find it the most challenging workout ever. (Except for those sit ups/ push ups.) Does my DOMS indicate I'm building muscle, or is it just stretching the muscle? My glutes, waist, and hamstrings hurt!

I don't really mind what it's done to my body - I love that workout!

Justine, this is just my opinion, but I think it's because you are doing something completely different from what you have been doing for months. I just finished 13 weeks of Body Beast/PiYo/Weider Ruthless. So far this week I have been doing EFX (body weight work), kettlebell/MWT and long cardio--and it is hitting me like it never did before. I am sore from EFX. Extremely fatigued from doing cardio longer than 20-30 minutes (?!?!?). These are things that even if they challenged me before, didn't make me so sore or wear me out the way they are now. I think I just spent 13 weeks doing the same things--muscle (and even cardiovascular) memory. Now I am really confusing my muscles (and my heart and lungs!)! So it's a good thing! This is what we're supposed to be doing, right? I'm doing this for two weeks, then hopefully I will have RwH to shake things up some more.

Jen - so glad it's not just me! I can't believe that Supercuts has done this to me. I did Gym Styles Chest and Tris today, and whilst I know I'll feel it tomorrow, it won't be as bad as can be - it's very similar to Body Beast.
I've started to clock-watch at about 35 minutes... I really need to push my time to 50 mins/ 1 hour. You're right: muscle confusion is where it's at.
Is EFX/MWT/cardio your plan until RwH? Mine is to do Cathe / KCM / PiYo - but in no particular order, just what I feel like on the day.

Yes--EFX, KCM's new kettlebell workouts and longer cardio workouts. That's for the next two weeks. I honestly thought PiYo and Weider Ruthless prepared me for EFX. That seems kind of funny now. Even tho it's bodyweight work, it is completely different.

I know that you don't need to experience DOMS to generate hypertrophy....but what about the other way round? If you have DOMS, does that mean that you are building muscle?

I ask because I've just finished a body building rotation, and I have switched back to metabolic / Hiit / cardio etc. I did Supercuts yesterday and I'm experiencing the most intense (amazing?) DOMS I've had for a while. I love Supercuts, but don't find it the most challenging workout ever. (Except for those sit ups/ push ups.) Does my DOMS indicate I'm building muscle, or is it just stretching the muscle? My glutes, waist, and hamstrings hurt!

I don't have an answer, but I did have a similar experience: I did a month-long rotation in which I did lots of heavy lower body work 2-3 days a week, really toasting my legs and glutes. The following week I did Afterburn, and could hardly walk the next day, the glute DOMS were so intense. Go figure!

Ladies, I'm in the same boat. I've never had such bad bicep DOMS as I did yesterday from Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's. I was getting no DOMS from Body Beast but since I've been doing XTrain workouts (and have upped the poundages :D) I've been so sore -- and I love it! Jen, my cardio endurance is not what it used to be either. I wonder what RWH is gonna do to me! Looking forward to starting it soon!!! We're all gonna do a check-in, right?

Justine, this is just my opinion, but I think it's because you are doing something completely different from what you have been doing for months. I just finished 13 weeks of Body Beast/PiYo/Weider Ruthless. So far this week I have been doing EFX (body weight work), kettlebell/MWT and long cardio--and it is hitting me like it never did before. I am sore from EFX. Extremely fatigued from doing cardio longer than 20-30 minutes (?!?!?). These are things that even if they challenged me before, didn't make me so sore or wear me out the way they are now. I think I just spent 13 weeks doing the same things--muscle (and even cardiovascular) memory. Now I am really confusing my muscles (and my heart and lungs!)! So it's a good thing! This is what we're supposed to be doing, right? I'm doing this for two weeks, then hopefully I will have RwH to shake things up some more.

Jen - Can you share your Beast/Piyo/Weider rotation? Sounds like something I'd love!

Yes, Mary--we need to create a RwH check in when we start (and if it arrives as hoped, I plan to start RwH 12/15/14).

LizC7, here is my rotation--it's actually a blog review of Body Beast but at the very end of the post I have my entire 13 week rotation: http://2lazy4gym.com/2014/11/29/body-beast/ I didn't add Weider Ruthless until week 4 and PiYo week 5.

Last edited:
I tend to never stick to a rotation more than a month LOL - over the past month I did a week gym style, followed with a week of slow/heavy, then my upper/lower split twice in one week which consisted of xtrain burnset upper body/lower body blast and this week decided to do a metabolic week which started with flextrain I did Monday (my booty is still hurtin LOL) I never get chest doms except when I do gym style and I only get glut domes with metabolic stuff. I think I'm still building muscle but its more with changing slow/fast type muscle fibers.

I have booty domes all week after Flextrain (booty pain), Spin (quad pain), Crossfire (whipped), athletic training (my easier day) , Low impact hiit/stretch (whipped) and week end is backpacking around 15 miles this weekend. I will not be able to move next week but its a recovery week. Then I start all the new stuff

I have booty domes all week after Flextrain (booty pain), Spin (quad pain), Crossfire (whipped), athletic training (my easier day) , Low impact hiit/stretch (whipped) and week end is backpacking around 15 miles this weekend. I will not be able to move next week but its a recovery week. Then I start all the new stuff
Booty domes - love it!

Jen, another amazing (or 2 more amazing) reviews on your blog.

I feel the same way. Since finishing BEAST I have been doing a kind of mish mash of metabolic, Hiit, and kettlebells. This morning, I am so sore I can barely raise my arms to feed myself. (A new eating plan? Probably not.) But, I am liking the way I feel.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.