Babystep.5

horseshowmom

Cathlete
Doing really badly with my diet :(
but I ran 4 1/2 miles today!:D.....
without stopping!
until I stepped off the treadmill and my knees almost buckled! :eek:
Whew! next ~ try 5 miles and then decreasing my times!

Wow...That is Awesome! I love running too and can't really run longer than about 15minutes:confused:....YOU GO GIRL,high fives!

I wish I could run... Is there a program on How to run?? run 1 min walk 1??? I need to built up to this. sometimes I feel like a lung is going to cave in

Last edited:
I love working out, but diet is the hard part for me too. Bummer is that the older I get, the more diet plays a role.

Anyway--great job on the running! How did you work up to that?

Maggie:)

I never thought someone would ask me how I could run any distance! :p
Originally, when I tried to incorporate running into my workouts (this was like 6 years ago) I did a walk to run 5k program. Basically you combined walking and running minutes until eventually you ran more than walked and then running was the entire workout. Unfortunately, once I did the 5k mileage I didn't have any additional goals or direction so I pretty much quit the next week! LOL! Dumb, huh!? :rolleyes:

This year however I just started running without a plan. I started about 7 weeks ago, but I have been walking a LOT this year. I got a golden retriever puppy for Christmas and we walk 3-5 miles a day. So I think my legs had some decent muscle tone.
This time I am also running in a group and they've kept me going so much further than I ever would on my own. So I built up a decent distance with them and then just decided to get on the treadmill and see how far I could go before I needed to stop. The 1st time I made it 3 miles, then added from there.
Breathing has been the hardest part for me. My legs settle down pretty quickly but the breathing is taking time.

I've been reading a lot about running this time, as well as tearing out plans on adding hills, running a 10k, half-marathon,etc.
Really though, I'm just curious to see how far my legs can carry me at one time and I don't have a destination/goal in mind yet.

Hmmmm...all the sudden I had visions of Forrest Gump running for 3 years *just because*!!!:eek:

Becky

Breathing always seems to be the last thing I get worked out with any new exercise. Keep up the good work and it will soon follow. Plus I wish I had your motivation to just do it. Running always seemed like fun but I just can't get myself out of the house.

I wish I could run... Is there a program on How to run?? run 1 min walk 1??? I need to built up to this. sometimes I feel like a lung is going to cave in

This is how I started. I would walk/run a 2 mile loop. After about 6 months, I could run the who;le thing. This was about 4 years ago and I average 5 miles. But I slipped on ice X-mas eve and compressed a vertebre and haven't run since, makes my back hurt, figure I'll try again in May. Keep at it, it will come. FYI: invest in a GOOD pair of running shoes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.