Baby carriers

Winter

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

My LO is 3.5 months old. I want to get a baby carrier for her but no sure what to get. I have read reviews on ERGO and Baby Bjorn.

I am looking for one that is comfortable for and myself and one that she can face toward me and away from me. I read the that the ERGO doesn't have the option for the baby to face outward. I also want to be able to use it for a long time.

Anyone have a favorite carrier that you can recommend?

Thanks so much,
Winter

I have a Baby Bjorn, a Moby Wrap, and a Sleepy Wrap (similar to the Moby but stretchier fabric). I had a lot of problems w/ the Moby - IF you can get the baby into it properly (no gaps, not too tight or loose, baby's nose & mouth visible) it's great. I will try it again when my LO is older and can hold her head up. The Sleepy Wrap is much easier to use but not as readily available as the Moby (order it online). Both of the wraps can be worn by you or your partner, adjust as baby grows, and I think hold babies up to 30 pounds. AFAIK, the baby must face you, though.

Baby can face in or out w/ Baby Bjorn and I can throw it on and have baby in it in minutes. She seems to like it. There are lots of different styles of Baby Bjorns to choose from. I love putting her in it to go shopping rather than have her sit in her car seat in the cart.

Good luck! I think baby carriers are great!

I have the Bjorn, Moby, Ergo and an Infantino. I honestly HATE the Moby because there is way too much to deal with and it's HOT. The Infantino came in handy while on vacation when Akadia was 6 weeks old because I could use it to nurse and let her sleep. I also HATE the Bjorn. I do not like how she just hangs in it and all that weight is on her "crotch". I know people who have loved it, but mine is so uncomfortable for me (major back pain when using it) and Akadia can't stand to be in it. I LOVE my Ergo though. She sits in it, doesn't "hang" and she really likes it. It has much better back support for me and even now at 22 pounds, it doesn't bother me to haul her around while doing housework. I barely last 10 minutes with the Bjorn plus I could never fit her in that now anyways. My only complaint about the Ergo is that she can't face forward. It does have the options for her to be on the side though - kind of on your hip.

We have the Bjorn "baby carrier air" and have used it several times, my son is 7 weeks old. He seems to enjoy it and is fairly comfortable for me. I don't have any other carriers to compare. I agree with Liann, he does seem to be bottom heavy, but he doesn't seem to mind. I had originally requested the ERGO on my registry but did not receive it so we went with the Bjorn simply b/c we could get prime shipping from amazon. Also, we went w/this one b/c of the "air" quality, fabric is mesh like. We live in NC and the summers get hot and steamy, thought it may be cooler.

Melanie

Thanks

Thank you ladies!

I decided to go with the Ergo Performance. I got it at Diapers.com with free 2 day shipping. It was expensive but I am hoping to use it for well over a year.

Hope everyone's LO's are doing great.

Winter

Hi Amber,

I have tried the front carry position with Lainey 3.5 months old. She hates it so far. I think in part because her legs have to be so spread apart it is not comfortable for her. Also she sits far enough down that she can't see anything. I wonder if I am doing something wrong? Should both legs be to one side right now?

As she gets bigger I think it will work - I hope!!

We didn't even get to walk around in it. I put her in and she started screaming.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Winter

Winter - I think there is an infant insert that you can buy to make it more comfy and the legs do to to one side in that - I think your baby might be too old for that though. She's kind of between that and being able to straddle you. You may try just positioning her with both legs going to one side without the insert and see if that works or you may do better with the side position since she wouldn't have to spread her legs so far and she would be able to see better. I didn't have the Ergo when Akadia was that little. We've been using it for her since 5 months and up. It should be good until she is around 2. She loves riding on my back in it now.

p.s. This is hard to explain, but make sure that when you put her in it, that you have it so she is sitting in it with her legs kind of coming up and around your waist. When I first put Akadia in it, I had it so tight at the bottom that there was no pouch for her to "sit" in and she was basically hanging with all her weight in between her legs which was pulling them too far apart and hurting her. When she is sitting back in the carrier, her legs separate easy because the weight is on her hinie not her legs and she's able to straddle better.

Last edited:
Don't get the bjorn. There are far better carriers out there. Bjorns only last until baby is about 6 months old, same with stretchy wraps. I always used woven wraps and mei tai carriers and I still wear my 3 year old son in them. The bjorns can be very uncomfortable for baby and mom. The part that goes between babies legs isn't wide enough to give proper support. Baby's legs should be spread farther apart to put their weight on the whole pelvis. If it's too narrow the baby's weight is placed on the spine. The reason you can't do forward facing with the ergo is because forward facing places the pressure on the baby incorrectly. They're meant to face toward you, so ergo doesn't recommend that. If you really want to do forward facing the best thing is to use a carrier where you can fold their legs froggy style underneath them rather than having the legs dangle, but then you need to check the circulation in their legs.

A lot of people say their baby doesn't like to face towards them, but they will usually get used to it and most prefer it. The key for a lot of babies tends to be to keep moving. When I wore my son I had to always be walking or bouncing on an exercise ball no matter what position he was in. Also forward facing can be overstimulating for a young baby because they can't turn their head towards you if they no longer want to view everything going on in the world. If they really seem to want to see what is going on then a back carry is best. They can see everything, but they can look away if they want to, and they are supported in a better position.

The ergo is a soft structured carrier and many many people love them. I would recommend that or a mei tai which is similar to a soft structured carrier, but they tie instead of buckle. Also woven wraps are great and a lot of fun because they come in many colors and patterns and there are lots of carries you can learn to do if that interests you.

Check out www.thebabywearer.com. There is a lot of info there and it can be overwhelming, but it is a great place to learn about the different carriers and there is a forum where you can buy used carriers.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.