Athletic Flooring Thickness

We are getting athletic flooring installed in our workout room. It is 1/2 inch thick, made of the darker colored, rubberized material used in gyms, and it will be custom fit for our space.

My question is whether 1/2 inch thickness is enough? Do we need to go with thicker flooring (that's what I am thinking)? I use the space for all things Cathe (DVD and Live) and my DH uses it for cardio like T25 and heavy lifting. We also plan to put a legit commercial quality squat rack in there.

Thoughts?

Thanks gratefuldog. I knew Cathe had written about this but I couldn't find it. I really want to find a way to get wood type flooring but I don't know if that can happen.

It was also helpful to read about lateral movement and ankle sprains, so yeah, any thicker than 1/2 inch would be problematic .

You are welcome!
I have horse mats on one half of my room, and puzzle mats on the other half. I have a rug on top of the puzzle mat area. Underneath all of it is concrete. When I first got the horse mats, I tried to do my cardio on it. It was way too hard. Then I put the puzzle mats, and rug combo In the cardio area, and that was better. It certainly is not ideal. When I expand to a larger room, I will replace it with the wood flooring with blocks underneath. My knees and back will thank me!

We are getting athletic flooring installed in our workout room. It is 1/2 inch thick, made of the darker colored, rubberized material used in gyms, and it will be custom fit for our space.

My question is whether 1/2 inch thickness is enough? Do we need to go with thicker flooring (that's what I am thinking)? I use the space for all things Cathe (DVD and Live) and my DH uses it for cardio like T25 and heavy lifting. We also plan to put a legit commercial quality squat rack in there.

Thoughts?
Wow, sounds great Lisa...kinda jealous here, but I use my concrete floor as an excuse to avoid cardio!! This great floor might cause me a serious dilemma!

Wood flooring, with blocks under, is great. I have a "no can do" with carpet. Years ago, I was doing a lateral move on carpet, rolled my ankle, and that was all she wrote. Now I only use a rug, with my gliding discs.
Lisa, your room will be great!! I think 1/2 inch will be perfect. I agree, if you need more for cardio, throw down a few mats.

Thanks for your responses, my friends. Very helpful info and feedback. We just found a way that it might be possible to get the wood type flooring that I wanted after all. Seems like anything is better than straight concrete (sorry, Tom) or carpet, but the real magic sauce is the subfloor.

Lisa:

all I can say is that I am dead jealous and can we all have an inauguration workout party at your house once renovations are complete?!?!?!?!

Clare

Clare, you can come workout at my place anytime. I would consider it a privilege. Everyone BYOD (dbs), we'll turn on the Cathe Live, and party like only we vidiots/home exercise addicts know how! Plus, there may or may not be fine wine and chocolates involved . ;)

Clare, you can come workout at my place anytime. I would consider it a privilege. Everyone BYOD (dbs), we'll turn on the Cathe Live, and party like only we vidiots/home exercise addicts know how! Plus, there may or may not be fine wine and chocolates involved . ;)

Lisa:

where do you live?!?!?!?!?!?! Workouts, fine wine, choc, what's not to love?!!!!

So, how are those babies of yours? How old is the little one now? And how are you doing?

Good to chat!

Clare

I had the suspended "wood" aerobic floor installed in my workout room last year and it was the best purchase I've made in a long time. My knees were really beginning to bother me after doing the high impact moves on Cathe's videos with my old floor. My knee pain went away almost immediately after the floor was installed and hasn't returned. If you workout often, I highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the 1/2" Gold's gym puzzle mats flooring from Walmart. I have had them for 4 years now. First I had them out in my garage which was my workout space and now that we have moved I have them in my house. They have been plenty for me and I have been very happy with them! The only thing I have had to do is to duct tape them together (!) at the joints for my high impact workouts which has worked very well. For me ( I am 52) they have been terrific!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.