At what age do babies get teeth?

nspire

Cathlete
My granddaughter will be 1 year old tomorrow, and there's not a tooth in sight. Is this normal? I have co-workers who were pregnant the same time as my daughter and their babies have four or more teeth, I was just hoping nothing is wrong. She's gone through the motions of teething, however, none have come forth.
Any suggestions??

I think my babies were 7-8 months when they started teething. But I have had friends who their babies did not get teeth until after their 1st Birthday. I am sure there is nothing wrong. Enjoy being a grandma!

Right -- my anecdotal evidence says there's a large range of when babies/toddlers get their first teeth -- I'd say not to worry. You can probably put a clean finger in there and sort of feel buds in there, and if the baby has started drooling more, that's a sure sign there's something starting to happen in there.

-Beth

My husband did not get his teeth until well after 1. I think they eventually cut the gums. That was 50 years ago !

my 3rd here has been trying for 2 months to get hers in. theyll come when theyre ready!
im just enjoying that sweet gummy grin while it lasts because boy oh boy is it ever too short!

yep, babies are all different. my son got his first tooth around 7 months but my friend's daughter didn't get hers until she was 1 yr old. they come when they are ready!

My first DD didn't get any teeth until after one and my second about 7 months. They are all so different! Don't worry :)

not to worry!

I had a mother in one time that was freaking out that her nearly 15 month old baby didn't have a single tooth...she was in for bronchiolitis so I had to do a chest xray for that reason and noted happily that she had a full set just waiting to pop through! I've asked dentists what's normal and they remarked that every baby is different and one of the most experienced in our community had a little one that was around 18 months before any teeth and then basically she just woke up with a complete set!!!
take care and enjoy your little one!
julie

My grandniece did not have teeth at a year. They were told to get xray if none by 13 months but even that was only to show them that they were just under the surface. My son had 2 teeth at 2 months old. Everyone is different.

I agree all kids are different. My DS got his first around seven months, but DD didn't get her first until 13 months. And I am happy to say at 4 she has a beautiful full set of teeth. Although now she can't wait until they fall out like her brother's.:p

that might be a good thing. I'd rather get most of them done with at once than drawn out forever. maybe easier on them being a bit older too? and if the mom is nursing.. bonus that she didn't have to worry about getting nipped by new teeth at like 6 mo old.

Hello

My daughter got her first tooth when she was 14 months old. Now she is 21 months old and she has 7 teeth. Don't worry ;) everything is fine. :D

Timea

I don't think I have ever seen an adult without any teeth that was that way from birth, so the sprog's probably good!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.