Article: "It's All Your Fault Mom"

Article from AHI Employment Law Today

HR Soapbox Blog
''It's All Your Fault, Mom!''
(Attitude-Behavior)

A new book theorizes that if you're having troubles at work, mom might be to blame. The Mother Factor: How Your Mother's Emotional Legacy Impacts Your Life, by Dr. Stephan B. Poulter, Ph.D., suggests that the way we connect emotionally in adult relationships, including workplace interactions, is based on the "style" of our moms.

Poulter defines five major styles of mothering.

1. The "perfectionist" mother. The need for her family to look perfect in every way can render her child unable to accept feedback without becoming argumentative.

2. The "unpredictable" mother. Her ups and downs can create lifelong anxiety and depression in her child.

3. The "me first" mother. Her inability to put her child first can leave her child wondering whether he/she is good enough.

4. The "best friend" mother. The desire to be her child’s peer can result in her child feeling abandoned, neglected, and "motherless."

5. The "complete" mother. Her guidance and compassion empowers her child to lead a happy, fulfilling life.

The more I think about it, Poulter is right! Our moms really do influence our professional selves. So, mom, I "blame" you for:

Making me organized. All those color-coded toy bins I had as a child have now translated into a color-coded calendar and filing system.
Making me punctual. You told me it was better to be a few minutes early than to be a few minutes late. That explains why I’m one of the first people not only in the office every morning, but also in the entire building!

Making me dust-free. You always accused me of "making dust" by jumping on the furniture. As a kid, I used to think making dust was a cool super power to have, but now I'm as anti-dust as you are, as evidenced by the box of Swiffer Duster® refills and Lysol Sanitizing Wipes® in my office.

Making me considerate. Don't leave an empty paper towel roll sitting on the dispenser; replace it, you used to say. That explains why I've never left the office paper towel dispenser or water cooler bottle empty.

Making me a hard-worker. Everything you did, mom, you gave 110%, and not once did you complain about being tired. Well, I complain (just ask your son-in-law), but your work ethic is now mine.

Good luck, stay legal, and thank mom!

I was originally afraid to read it but it sure does make me think of what I taught my children and how I am seeing some of the "good behaviors" they have coming out as they grown into adulthood. (Only wish they hadn't learned some of their father's bad habitsx( )

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.