Article in OnFitness Magazine

lcobb2

Cathlete
This is such a great article and gives rationale for good "come backs."

How much exercise is too much?

"Don't you hate when you hear someone accuse a person of being an exercise fanatic just because the fitness enthusiast works out two hours a day? But nobody calls the couch potato a TV fanatic even though he or she may spend four hours a day lounging before the tube. Or what about the person who sits at a computer surfing the Web two hours a day, or people who spend three hours a day reading magazines and talking on the phone? Are they, too, fanatics?

Funny how the workout enthusiast gets the negative label. But here's something to consider. It's not normal to get less than two hours a day of exercise! Think of how humans lived before the discovery of electricity, whose total sitting time, per wakefulness, exceeded two hours? This was unheard of only 150 years ago. In fact, the only people who lived sedentary lives back then were wealthy and had servants.

The body was meant to move on a continuous basis, with occasional periods of inertia -- not the other way around by our luxurious living and marvelous inventions into believing that exercise is the exception, not the rule. Working out two hours daily is much closer to nature -- and therefore optimal health -- than working out only 30 minutes a day.

Genetically, we are not different than we were centuries ago. Our bodies still need to move -- and not just merely move, but produce force and exertion that creates sweat and gets us very winded. Don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty or weird because you invest two or more hours a day exercising. To your body, this is perfectly normal, regardless of what all the couch potatoes say."

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Laura! I used to go to a fitness boot camp and the instructors used to tell me and my sister and that we were overtraining. We were not overtraining. We were working out for a hour 6 days a week. I later found out that we were working out more than they were. :eek:

I love OnFitness Magazine. They have such great articles and I have learned so much from that magazine.

Thanks for this. Is this the new OnFitness, because I have not gotten one for awhile so it should come soon.

Just yesterday I got the roll eyes from a co-worker. He asked if I got in the accident traffic on the way into town. I said no, because I came in early to swim....Geez I only swam 45 minutes yesterday, and I get the roll eyes.

Thanks for posting Laura!

ITA with it too! I get at the very least 6 hours of solid exercise a week. Anything less, I feel cheated.;)

Hi Dorothy,

No, it's an old issue. I picked up a few old copies at the gym and this article resonated with me (obviously). Since I started reading the old version, I ordered all the back issues. Once I get through those, I am going to subscribe for sure!

Thanks for this. Is this the new OnFitness, because I have not gotten one for awhile so it should come soon.

Just yesterday I got the roll eyes from a co-worker. He asked if I got in the accident traffic on the way into town. I said no, because I came in early to swim....Geez I only swam 45 minutes yesterday, and I get the roll eyes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.