Are your personal care products unhealthy?

You know, Christine, I thought my mother was a fanatic about this stuff. I could understand that she wanted to eat all natural and organic, but I didn't understand why she would buy her shampoos and stuff at the health food store. I thought she was going overboard. As usual, turns out Mom was right. Guess mother always know best. :)

-Nancy

Carolyn,
Taking the side of Mother Nature is a dangerous game. She's about as ruthless and as heartless as it gets. And, knowing her, she DID put many, if not most, of the creatures on this earth to be destroyed by others. I read that emus are grown commercially for human consumption and that the oil is just a by-product of such harvesting, but I can't remember ever eating an emu so I'm confused about that one.
-Nancy

I doubt that mother nature put animals on the earth to live their lives in miserable captivity with no chance for a normal survival. I could NEVER accept that because animals eat eachother, that gives US the right to encage them, torture them, and think of them as resources for our own purposes. It seems so HYPOCRITICAL to think of some animals as companions and love them on one hand, and to think of others animals(who are usually as smart or smarter than companion animals)as resources for human consumption. In my opinion, animals are not meant for human consumption in anyway. Mother Nature may be cruel and heartless, but I suspect she gets some REALLY good competition from people who "harvest" animals for their own selfish reasons.

Carolyn

>Any chemical we use cannot be good for us but I cannot see
>worrying about every little thing. We can't stop breathing
>and I hate to think of what we take in when we do :)

True, there are many toxins we're exposed to on a daily basis that we can't control (like the outside air we breath, even microwave transmissions from satellites). But I think that's all the more reason to consider reducing exposure to toxins you CAN control, like personal care products, cleaning supplies, etc. Especially things that go on, and stay on, your skin, which absorbs about 80% of what you put on it (if it didn't, then all those medication "patches" --for nicotine, birth control, etc.--wouldn't work).

I don't consider it "worryiing about every little thing," just being a health-conscious consumer and making better choices for ourselves (and for the environment).

Thanks for the link, Nancy, it's very useful!
I was surprised that some of the health-food-store brand products I use (Jason) are in the yellow or red category! I'm happy to see the Aveda is low risk.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.