Are you a suspicious person by nature?

Are you a suspicious person by nature?

• Total voters

red_mct

Cathlete
Okay, after today's drama, I'm curious how many of you consider yourselves to be suspicious/cynical person versus an overly trusting one. This is actually a popular topic in my house because my SO is naturally a very gregarious, open, and trusting person, and I am not. I often feel like I have to point out red flags in behaviors to him, and he often feels like I'm sidling around in a fedora and dark glasses. :)

Do tell...

I'm usually pretty trusting... way more trusting than my DH. I think alot of that has to do with upbringing. My DH's mom is also more suspicious of people and their motives... so I think that's why he's that way. He tells me that I can be gullible, and I guess i can be.

I've been lurking, watching the drama, and yes, I think I'm a bit suspicious. I've been wondering about the person in question for a while myself. I tend to look for behavior that indicates lying - in fact, I just found out an interesting behavior. There are a group of muscles in the forehead that contract when you lie - it is involuntary, you can't control it. Now that I know what to look for, I am amazed at the number of people that lie to me daily. Naturally, this makes me even MORE suspicious.

I tend to be suspicious. I'm aware of it and try to keep it in check.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I'm completely and utterly suspicious. I've been lied to and cheated on so many times that I don't trust anyone, really. It's a pretty sad thing, but it's the truth. For crying out loud, I dated a guy who got MARRIED while we were dating and I didn't know. I'm not so naive anymore. And you never really know people as well as you think you might. The world abounds with stories of people in seemingly lifelong relationships who find out their partners have another wife, another family, a long-time girlfriend/boyfriend/stake in a brothel in Nevada. You get the idea.

I voted other b/c I am a naturally trusting person by nature, but life has taught me that I'm much better off being suspicious & being pleasantly surprised rather than being trusting & getting burned.

ETA: what did I miss? What drama? Now I'm not only suspicious, I'm curious too! :p

I'm trusting, sometimes too trusting. I tend to guage the situation though. IE, on Cathe's website, I have no personal interaction between most of the members, so I trust them, I have no reason not to. But I do try to keep what I say pretty light most of the time. Where as if I where to meet someone that looked shady and acted shady, I would not trust them. But I trust until that person proves me wrong for the most part.

Kathy

>ETA: what did I miss? What drama? Now I'm not only
>suspicious, I'm curious too! :p

Laura, check out the "Hey Adri" thread...

I'm with LauraMax. I voted other because it all depends on the situation. I grew up in a very open household (dad was a minister), therefore I learned to trust people. After being in the military for 6 1/2 years, I learned to be very suspicious of people (there are some very vicious people there!) after getting hurt more times than I care to count. As a result, I tend to be very trusting and open to an extent, but have learned to trust that "inner voice" and the red flags with a fair amount of accuracy. My DH is even better at listening to his "inner voice" and when he was active duty on some secret missions, his inner voice even saved him several times!!! It's hard that he's so suspicious, though, but it makes pulling a surprise over on him VERY hard! I set up a secret get away weekend years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done!

I'm way too trusting. Fortunately, I haven't had anything horrible to happen, but I need to be more careful.
Lorrie

>I'm way too trusting. Fortunately, I haven't had anything
>horrible to happen, but I need to be more careful.
>Lorrie
Exactly what Lorrie said. I'm trusting and I hope people trust in me. That said, I realize I should be a little less trusting.

I voted for "I believe in people most of the time" cause I do. I trust until given a reason not to USUALLY...

After my own thread today and its outcome I'm gonna say suspicious. I was extremely trusting growing up and got burned numerous times by both girls and guys. Its much easier for me to trust a female though. Today I don't trust a guy I'm dating at all in the beginning...for me I guess the trust is built over time.

After my own thread today and its outcome I'm gonna say suspicious. I was extremely trusting growing up and got burned numerous times by both girls and guys. Its much easier for me to trust a female though. Today I don't trust a guy I'm dating at all in the beginning...for me I guess the trust is built over time.

I am very suspicious by nature. Here are the reasons, as I see it:

1) I was born and raised in Detroit, MI, one of the most dangerous and hostile cities in the US (and perhaps in the world).

2) I spend way too much time watching Court TV.

Are these good enough reasons (excuses)?? LOL.

Dianna

http://www.picturetrail.com/Luv2WorkHard

I am neither suspicious nor trusting. I like to keep an open mind about people and situations. I wait until adequate information is obtained before I make a decision either way. I think I'm a fairly good judge of character.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.