Are we too clean? (an extension to the finger licking thread)

Another thing about antibacterial products: they kill all types of bacteria indiscriminently, including beneficial bacteria that is on our skin (that fights bad bacteria). Just like antibiotics indiscriminently kill bacteria inside us (including beneficial probiotics that are an important part of the immune system).

I am not a clean freak or a germaphobe and I rarely get sick beyond the ocassional cold. My son who is almost 5 and is not being raised in an "anti-bacterial" environment is also very healthy. I could probably count on one hand the amount of times he's been sick in his life. :) It is my firm belief that you need to be exposed to germs in order for your body to be able to build up an immunity to them thus the reason (atleast in part) why myself and my son do not get sick often.

I believe I read a study a while ago that said that kids raised in an environment with pets actually developed fewer allergies than kids who weren't. Good thing for us......we couldn't handle life without a beagle. She is our stress reliever - and a spoiled brat.:confused: LOL!

BTW, has anyone else noticed that it's hard to find hand soaps that aren't antibacterial? I generally buy in bulk, so the choices are usually a bit slimmer, but geez - you'd think just regular soap would be more readily available.

Gabrielle, are you my twin? LOL I could type the exact things you've shared on this thread.

I'm getting off the subject, but.......I'm like you, the ESSENTIALS are clean and disinfected like the raw meat, bathrooms, etc. I've gotten a really good system of keeping the wipes/spray/towels/etc in EACH bathroom so anytime I have to go and I see it needs a wipe, it's super handy. Keeping something in EACH bathroom has made it much less daunting a task to keep clean.

I clean a friend's house (she pays me) and we always laugh because her house is always cleaner than MINE! LOL (and get this, her kids pick up EVERY illness out there!)

Gayle

p.s. I LOVE this discussion/topic!!!!!

It's kind of scary, maybe I am your twin! I have the same system for keeping the bathrooms clean. And when I first moved to AZ I started my own housecleaning business. I know how to clean, I just hate it. I really have reached the point (finally now that I'm pushing 50) that I don't care about having a picture perfect home.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.