Are regular pushups bad for your uterus?

activegirl

Cathlete
This weekend my husband and I attended a family dinner, during which the subject of pushups came up. Just this last week I had finally worked my way up to 30 consecutive pushups (my goal at this point is 50). I said this with a little bit of pride, when my sister-in-laws gave me a horrified look and said that I was straining my uterus and that regular pushups were unhealthy for women. Apparently this is why "girly pushups" were invented. I have never heard this before, although my sister-in-law says she got the information from her trainer. I have also done a few brief online, but couldn't find anything. Hopefully one of you well informed vfers can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance!

Oh.My.God. That's a good one. Girlie push-ups were "invented" because most women don't have the upper body strength (at first) to do regular, straight leg push-ups. Straining your uterus? No. Tell your SIL she needs a new trainer who knows what they're talking about.;)

I somehow don't think Cathe would have us doing all those push-ups in her workouts if they were going to harm us in any way.:)

Never in my life did I hear about this. Did they say how you strain your uterus? Did the coach? All you do is tighten your core muscles in that area. Maybe the coach was being diplomatic cause she couldn't do push ups?

Dutchie

I have never heard that either. Your uterus is protected my your abdominal girdle. There was a similair post posted a while back about your exercise and the uterus, I can't remember.

Lori

That's a funny as when an older women at my gym told me that my uterus was going to fall out because I was lifting weights. At that moment I was warming up with 5 lbs weights!!!!! I was speechless.

Namita

My uterus is laughing out LOUD at this one.:)

"Girly pushups"... I suppose the ones I'm doing on my toes are "manly pushups"? How come I can do more of them manly ones than my husband?

I feel bad for your sis-in-law. She's paying good, hard-earned money for a trainer who can't get the facts straight. Your SIL deserves that much.

Someone once told me not to do aerobics during my period. It could hurt my uterus. What is it with the uterus hurting from exercise? It proved to be the strongest, most amazing part of my body during childbirth, one of the most physically stressful times of my life.

Pinky

Someone told you your uterus was going to fall out???????????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *breathes* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh, so that's the pooch I see in the mirror when I'm doing push ups?! My uterus!!! I thought it was just a little fat storage area!!!:+ :+ :+

What? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. "Girly pushups" were invented for wimps.

It reminds of the time when I was pregnant, a woman told me I should get rid of my cats because they put babies heads in their mouths. I don't know how many people own cats whose mouths are large enough to swallow a baby, but mine certainly can't. Even the big fat one!

OMG this thread is hilarious.

I once had a trainer who told me if I didn't breathe right during my ab routine my abs would get bigger b/c air bubbles would get stuck in them.

HUH? If I swallowed a straight pin would it pop those bubbles?

I did a paper on Title 9 once. I my research I found the same excuse had been used when women were only allowed to play half court basketball. All that running and jumping was bad for a "woman's organs." Give me a break. If carrying around a baby for 9 months doesn't cause your uterus to fall out, a "manly" push up certainly won't. Don't these people have any sense?

It's always nice to bounce things off of you guys, as I can see that your reaction is pretty much the same as mine - stupefied disbelief! Oh well, I guess I will continue on with my unhealthy regular pushups.

>What? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
>"Girly pushups" were invented for wimps.
>
>It reminds of the time when I was pregnant, a woman told me I
>should get rid of my cats because they put babies heads in
>their mouths. I don't know how many people own cats whose
>mouths are large enough to swallow a baby, but mine certainly
>can't. Even the big fat one!

Don't want to get off the subject here, but I have a cat and had him before my grandson was born, and people, including my mother, would tell me not to have the cat around the baby because my cat would steal the breathe from him. Well my grandson is going on 2 yrs of age. Daughter, grandson, & cat are all living in the same apartment in Germany:D :D :D .

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

>Someone told you your uterus was going to fall
>out???????????
>
>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *breathes* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>
>
OMG!! I almost fell off from chair. You made me laugh twice today.
Thanks.:7 :D :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.