Are crosstrainer shoes good for step aerobics?

Mariela

Cathlete
I will buy a pair of Rykas but don't know what to choose, crosstrainers or aerobics/studio. I want to use them for both strength training and step aerobics, if possible (can't afford two pairs). What do you recommend?

Hi Mariela,

I use my Ryka's interchangeably between step/hi-lo/kickboxing and strength training.

I have 2 pair so I can switch off day to day (for longevity and airing out purposes), but I use whichever pair are up for the day, whether its the studio/aerobic shoe or the cross trainer, and my feet don't know the difference unless I actually look down to see which they are.

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

Mariela,

I have just ordered a pair of Ryka's but I have a strange feeling they are not going to fit !!!! I have big feet :-rollen. I have ordered the Alchemy 3 MId shoe for aerobic work and if they fit, I will use them also for strength work, too.
Check out the Ryka website, it gives a great low-down of all the styles www.ryka.com

Anna :)

Anna, when you ordered Ryka's, did you order a half size bigger than your regular shoe size? That's what they tell you to do on the website. I'm contemplating buying some online, but don't know which size to order....

Donna M

oh-oh, I ordered from a UK site, and they had UK size 8 (I am a UK size 8, which is a US size 10, according to my NY travel guide), and if it is the same as a UK 8, I will fit length ways into it, but if it is not wide enough then it'll be like me trying the glass slipper on !!!!!!!! I am hoping that Ryka are right about the extra width they put in their sports shoes.
I know I am just going to bawl my eyes out if they don't fit. I want a pair of Ryka shoes on my feet !!!! As far as I could see, there was no 1/2 size options available ? But I bought a pair of shoes (strappy mules ? is that what they are called ?) in NYC, and they are a US size 9, which is the equivalent to a UK size 7, and they are a just a fraction too big, so fingers crossed, I may be OK !!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't we just have universal sizing ??????????

Hi Lynne,
I ordered them from e-directory,

www.edirectory.co.uk

Look under Sports/then Sports shoes and trainers/ then other brands
They have about 5 different styles of Ryka shoes, I ordered mine for £19.99p !!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bargain that probably won't fit me ! :-rollen ! And, I made a mistake, they do have half sizes, though not many.

Also, I checked out the Footlocker website, and there are Lady Footlocker stores around the UK, which supposedly stock Ryka.

www.ladyfootlocker.com

and check out their stores guide for the UK. My nearest is Meadowhall Centre, near Sheffield.

Whereabouts are you in the UK, Lynne ?

New Balance 824 are what I wear for step and kick box videos.
There is good lateral support in this model.

I wear a New Balance running shoe for treadmill workouts and out door power walks. ( FYI: I wear a running and not a walker because of the didtance covered. I was advised, that if you walk over 4 mlies you should wear a running shoe.)

I hope this is helpful.

Judy
Live by the golden rule: treat others as yourself :)

If I wear an 8.5 (U.S. sizes)in Nike what size would I buy in Ryka? I've always wanted to try Ryka but since I can't try them on first I wondered how the sizing runs. Plus, do they have a big arch support? I hate when they have this huge ball for arch support that pushes up into my foot, I found Reeboks to be like that.

To answer the first posters question, I always used cross-trainers for Step, Hi/lo, Running (I'm not a distance runner though, sprints w/fast walking, for longer distance you need a running shoe) and weight lifting w/no problems.
Right now I'm using Nike Swoops, basketball shoes, they are excellent for step, hi/lo and weights, but running No Way!

Chuee...................

If you normally wear an 8.5 in other athletic shoes, I'd order a 9 in Rykas. I normally wear a 10 in most shoes, but since Ryka doesn't do the 1/2 size thing, I order an 11.

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

hi Anna
I am from Edinburgh, but currently living in Saudi Arabia. I tend to buy from the UK mostly as I find that most US sites don't send outwith the US! I also like to pay in pounds sterling instead of visa.!

thanks, will check the site out. By the way I am a UK 5 and I take a Ryka 8.

Lynne

Hi Lynne, I am presuming that if you take a Ryka 8, then it is a US 8, which is the equivalent of a UK 6. OK, based on that, I am feeling confident that I may just fit into them ? :-hmmm

Anna

Yes Anna

your right I take the US 8. I have re-evolutions, evolutions and alchemy. I bought them from Roadrunnersports. I also have new balance 804's which I just love!

Lynne

RE: Chuee...................

Thanks for the help Donna.

Had I read thru the posts to begin w/I would of found my answer. Sorry, to bother ya w/a stupid question.:-shy

Have a Great week ladies!!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.