Apple Cider Vinegar

L Sass

Cathlete
How many of you drink apple cider vinegar on a regular basis? I drink it 3-4 x day and DH says not only do most 'normal' :p people not do that, he doubts that even those "in the know" on good health and nutrition do this. Pick me up here friends.

Just bought some the other day and will start drinking it in a regular basis. I may not be normal, but I am in the know about health, that's for sure! Linda

Its not a secret, I'm not sure where he has been. I personally prefer lemon/honey/black pepper but it just depends on your body. There is nothing wrong with it. Lots of people use it to help with GI issues or yeast problems.

No, don't get me wrong - he KNOWS all about it, and has for some time. He just doesn't think many people DO it. So, among you all in the know - or in what Cathe calls her educated crowd - do most of your friends follow this practice?

Yep. Pauline Nordin (yes, I know she's a leeeeetle crazy) says before every meal - and that's 5-6x day. I can't really do it that often. HA!

On the Bragg's brand bottle it says:

Delicious, ideal pick-me-up at home, work, sports or gym. Perfect taken 3 times daily...upon arising, mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Suggested mix: 1 to 2 tsps per 8 oz of water, with the option of adding some sweetener (which I do.)

I personally have not been drinking ACV & H2O as much as I used to, but I may find myself consuming more during the warm weather months.

HTH :)

On the Bragg's brand bottle it says:

[/I]
Suggested mix: 1 to 2 tsps per 8 oz of water, with the option of adding some sweetener (which I do.)

I personally have not been drinking ACV & H2O as much as I used to, but I may find myself consuming more during the warm weather months.

HTH :)

I try to have it 2-3 times a day with stevia. I'm out right now. I like to buy the gallon of Bragg's. Does anyone know a good place to get it? It's too expensive at my local health food store. Amazon doesn't have any with super-saver shipping right now. Where do you get yours.

What exactly are the benefits?

I would also like to know what the benefits are. I have heard of people drinking it, but I personally have never done it. Would any vinegar work or does it specifically have to be ACV?

FWIW, I do use all kinds of vinegar's in my salads :p:D.

Natasha

I would also like to know the benefits. It is only apple cider vinegar and some suggest this is the only vinegar you should ever use--salads etc.

Here is info re benefits from Bragg's website - Bragg's ACV. Keep in mind that this is NOT pasteurized vinegar. There is a difference. This is raw unfiltered ACV 'with the mother.' Another brand of raw ACV that I use is Eden Organics. It's very good.

As for where to buy - I get mine at either a local Wegmans market or at a small local whole foods market. Both stores charge the same price. The small size bottle runs about $3 and the quart size is approximately $5. I just checked, and Vitacost carries it. I shop Vitacost a LOT. You have to spend $49 to get free shipping. I usually have no problems reaching the $49 threshold, lol, but if I don't have a $49 order one day, I'll just add things to my shopping cart, so I am all set when I am able to meet it. ;). HTH. :)

Tried some last night, yuk, :eek: I had to plug and chug, I put it in my green juice but it was all I could taste. I will keep trying but it's not gonna be easy!

I'd suggest not mixing it in with anything - it will definitely kill the taste. (I also take liquid ionic minerals, and these are the same - never put 'em in anything - HA!)

Tips for the vinegar: I dilute mine in ICE cold water, add a smidge of sweetener - I use organic raw blue agave - and always drink through a straw placed toward the back of the mouth. Protect that enamel.

Ironically, the folks in my Vitamix group are having an identical discussion. Someone posted this article from WebMD, which calls into question some of the "health benefits" of drinking ACV.

There hasn't been a ton of research on the health benefits of ACV and much of the health claims for it are anecdotal. However, some small studies have shown it to have a positive effect on improving insulin resistance in diabetics.

What the Research Really Says About Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar and Diabetes | Healthcare Hacks

Some people feel it can have a measurable, but small effect on weight loss probably due to it's effect on blood glucose. There appears to be some evidence of anti-cancer benefit, but that has had mixed results. There may be a positive effect on cholesterol and blood pressure...at least in rats, but again not enough research has been done to be sure.

I use small amounts of ACV in a large glass of water (no more than a couple teaspoons) for the potential positive effect on blood sugar regulation (type 2 diabetes runs in my family). However, I don't even do that every day or consistently. I do feel like it helps digestion somewhat and helps, ahem "get things moving" :eek:.

As with ALL things in life, the key is moderation. Too much ACV can potentially cause low potassium levels (hypokalemia), it may interact with certain medications, and it can erode tooth enamel if used without diluting it. Never use it undiluted! Not only will it harm your teeth, but you can burn your esophagus as well. Even when diluting it though, I always make sure to drink the glass quickly. I wouldn't recommend sipping on it all day since, like drinking acidic juices and soda throughout the day, it can cause tooth decay.

I believe that we each have different things that work with our own body chemistry. I started doing this after dealing with a bleeding ulcer last year that had me the recipient of 2 blood transfusions. Healthy, healthy me. My ulcer came from a bacteria (h. pylori) and curiously my doctor suggested the ACV. Since I also take in a lot of protein my body tends to be more acidic. The ACV tends to balance that out in me and bring my ph more into alkaline balance. So while this practice may work for some folks, it certainly will not for all. Again - we all find our own balance.

I had some health issues, found out my body was completely acidic, changed my diet and my body has done a total turn around, now I am always alkaline when I test and feel much improvement health wise!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.