AOS Kettlebell DVDs

lrayburn

Cathlete
I tried to register on the AOS forums to ask this question but couldn't get registered so I'm going to try to post it here.

I have AOS Providence and LOVE it. This is the only kettlebell dvd I own other than a couple of the Iron Core dvds (which I hated). I would like to buy another AOS dvd but am not sure which one to get next.

I know that Providence - then Newport - then FirePower is the recommended progression on the AOS site but can anyone tell me what each workout is like? And where do Empire State, Manmakers and Santa Monica fit in?

I would love any input.
Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Glad to see that you're actively involved in the AoS forum..I'm an elder over there - LOL. At any rate, if you've already done Providence & Newport, I think it's safe to say that you're ready for any of the AoS challenges. The progression Providence->Newport->Firepower is actuallly the order in which the DVDs were released. You can also add in the downloadable workouts, which are also incredible.

Without being too long winded, here's my personal summary/input on many things AoS:
1) Providence: Designed as a strength workout, using a single kettlebell. The workout is based on (15) 2-minute work/1-minute rest rounds, with varying kettlebell weights. The objective is to build strength, and in some sense muscular endurance. Your flexibility will also be challenged and improved with any AoS or kettlebell workout. "The Kettlebell Way" is a remake of Providence with tutorial sections added in. An MP3 version of Providence is also available on the website, which is really nice if you go outdoors or to a public place to train.
2) Newport: Endurance based workout using a single kettlebell. The rounds are longer in Newport (usually 3-minute work/1-minute rest intervals, with a 5 minute snatch test at the end). It is advised that women use a 9kg bell, regardless of fitness level for this workout, and I strongly agree :). An MP3 version of Newport is also available on the website, which is really nice if you go outdoors or to a public place to train.
3)Firepower: This was the third DVD in the AoS Workalong series, and introduces some double kettlebell drills. It is a mix of endurnace and strength, and is more programmable in nature, meaning you can opt for longer or shorter rest periods in between the rounds. Excellent conditioning workout that provides a nice mix between Newport & Firepower.
4)Santa Monica: One of the newer AoS Dvd's uses a combination of kettlebells, ropes, body weight, dumbells, and barbells. This is a fun DVD if you're looking to really add and utilize more tools in your drills. Having been to Punch and worked directly with Anthony, I'd say that Santa Monica is very close to the Punch training atmosphere. It will kick your arce, as all of the AoS workouts will do for you - LOL.
5)KB Clinic DVD: Excellent two-disc series designed with the beginner in mind. The first DVD is dedicated completely to form on many of the basic KB exercises. This is great for anyone who wants to fine tune their form, or is currently teaching others and needs advice on how to instruct some of the more complex movements. The second DVD contains 2 follow-along workouts, which are great for the beginner and advanced exerciser.
6)Empire State: This was filmed and released around the same time as the new SantaMonica DVD. I don' thave this one and cannot comment on it.
7)AoS Express (AoSx) Downloadable Workouts: Alot of people seem to forget about these workouts that Anthony offers, and I tell you that you don't know what you're missing out on! The AoSX series are some of the most challenging in the arsenal, IMO. I have them all (except for the upper cross), so just ping me if you have questions about specific workouts. I do suggest that a person be familiar with the foundation exercises: swings, get-ups, windmills, front squats, cleans, presses before progressing to the AoSx workouts.

I'm happy to get into more specifics about anything AoS at any time. Also, if you have questions about other instructors, please let me know. I'm a group fintess instructor, personal trainer, conditioning coach, and KB instructor; I'll be getting my AoS certification later this spring. I was first introduced to AoS in 2005, have made a few pilgramages to Providence to train at Punch, and have been a kettlebell nut for several years. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

This is the progression for me from easiest to toughest:

1. Providence - 14 rounds plus bonus snatch round. More of a strength-based workout.

Swings, Cleans, Chest Press (1 arm), Squats and Sumo Deadlift, 1 legged deadlift, Windmill and Overhead squat, Clean & press (ladder style), Flip and full squat, Tactical lunges, triple crush, Figure 8 to a hold and slingshot, seated press (1 arm), 1 arm rows (2 sets - 2nd set goes really quickly), abs (Pullovers, Russian Twists and Sicilian Crushers); snatch test.

2. Empire State - Rotates between lower body exercise, core exercise and upper body exercise. I like this one because it's only one minute of each exercise and I can get through it much quicker. Does spider pushups in this one (like Jari does in Ripped to the Core).

R 1 - Mountain Climbers, Russian Twists, Chest Press
R 2 - Swings, 1/2 Getups, Suitcase Rows
R 3- Lunge cocktail, side plank and super plank
R 4 - Squats, bottom windmill and crush curls
R 5 - 1-legged deadlift, Janda situp
R 6 - Overhead Lunge, Fig. 8 to a hold, Clean & Press
R 7 - Suitcase deadlift (doubles), punch matrix and side snatches
R 8 - Plie Releves (or sumo squats), pullover to a situp and hot potato
Bonus round - hi-pulls and snatches - 2 mins. of each

3. Firepower - has some exercises with 2 KBs. The rounds build up starting out at 1 minute of Turkish Getups, 2 minutes of Alternating Clean & Press and Static Rows; 3 minutes of Super Burpees, Figure 8 to a hold and Super Planks; 4 minutes of Alternating Double Cleans, Suitcase Deadlifts, Alternating Chest Press and Russian Twists; 5 minutes of Hi-Pull to Snatch, Seesaw Press; Figure 8 and tactical lunge, renegade rows and triple crushes. There is a 5 min. snatch test. There is an option to repeat workout a second time. This was also more of a strength based workout.

4. Santa Monica - 8 rounds.R1 - Figure 8 to a hold - 3 mins.
R2 - Turkish Getups - 5 minutes
R3 - Swings - R arm, L arm, Alternating Swings and Squats with barbell - squat, hold barbell in front or behind head and come up

R4 - Chest Presses - Doubles, R arm - 30 secs, L arm - 30 secs.
Pushups - turn bells over to flat side - 30 seconds
Squats - just bodyweight, hold in squat for 30 seconds, then deep squat into jump - 30 secs.

R5 - Squat under bar and press or overhead squat - 1 min.
Hi-Pulls - 30 seconds each R arm and L arm
Staggered Squats - Each side 30 secs.

R6 - Press into Windmill
Suitcase Deadlift to Row
Flip & Squat

R7 - Clean and Press to a Getup - 1 min.
Super Plank with Hip Drop - 30 secs.
Double Alternating Snatches - 1 min.

R8 - Lunge Cocktail with Twist - 30 secs. each side
Squat and hold and jumping squats - 30 secs.
Open Palm Press - 5 each side

5. Newport - The most challenging. Really tough endurance workout. One of the toughest (if not the toughest) workout I've ever done.

R1 - Cossack stretch, squat thrust/snatch, bicycle - 3 minutes
R2 - Squat/Press, 1 arm swing, double leg raise - 4 minutes
R3 - 2 Hand Swing and Hot Potato 3 minutes and Twisting Crunch - 1 min.
R4 - Punch matrix/plank (2 mins.); single leg raise (1 min.)
R5 - Side Snatch/Overhead Lunge (3 mins.); side plank - 30 sec. each side
R6 - Squat Kick/Sots Press (sots press is tough!) - 2 mins.; standing oblique crunch (1 min.)
R7 - Hand to hand clean, dragon lunge (2 mins.); Russian Twist with bicycle crunch - 1 min.
R8 - Side to side pushup (like P90X)/divebomber pushups (2 mins.); janda situp (1 min.)
R9 - Snatch/Turkish Getup/Windmill - 3 mins. - I think it was one full set on each side
Snatch Test

Marcy

Forgot to mention Empire State has two disks. The second one has the joint mobility section and the manmaker workout which consists of manmakers, triple crushes and one other exercise which I can't think of at the moment. The manmaker workout you can set up to do 1, 2 or 3 times.

Marcy

Hey Marcy,

Great summary on the AoS workouts! I haven't tried Empire State yet; might add it later this year.

If you're looking for another KILLER workout, try Keith Webber's Extreme KB Cardio...gosh, it smokes me like Newport. Newport is one of the most challenging workouts I've ever done in my life. when I got Extreme KB Cardio, I used the same weight (9kg) as Newport (though I can swing & press a 20kg bell), and I was barely able to make it through the first 3 rounds - LOL. It's definitely a great workout, and I thought I'd mention it since you seem to be challenged by Newport.

HTH,
FitGirl-ATX

Thanks for the replies! That was exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like Newport or Empire State will be next for me. Probably Empire State since everyone says Newport is so hard!

For the life of me, I still can't figure out the turkish get-up. Any suggestions?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

ABSOLUTELY. Here is are a few links to some very early, helpful Minute of Strength videos, where Anthony went over some excellent instructions for breaking down the TGU. I wasn't able to embed the videos here, but I was able to post the links to the URLs. Good luck!

1)Minute of Strength #5 - excellent tutorial on the TGU. I used this many times to practice and "get it right". Luckily, it's been reposted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyIuFIdgRk
2) Minute of Strength #29 has a good video on getting comfortable with the get-up sit-up, which is a great foundational exercise before going into the full TGU: http://www.artofstrength.com/MinuteofStrengthENews/MinuteofStrength29/tabid/246/Default.aspx.
3) MOS 1-4 focus on performing the perfect snatch. http://www.artofstrength.com/MinuteofStrengthENews/

Hi Lisa,

ABSOLUTELY. Here is are a few links to some very early, helpful Minute of Strength videos, where Anthony went over some excellent instructions for breaking down the TGU. I wasn't able to embed the videos here, but I was able to post the links to the URLs. Good luck!

1)Minute of Strength #5 - excellent tutorial on the TGU. I used this many times to practice and "get it right". Luckily, it's been reposted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyIuFIdgRk
2) Minute of Strength #29 has a good video on getting comfortable with the get-up sit-up, which is a great foundational exercise before going into the full TGU: http://www.artofstrength.com/MinuteofStrengthENews/MinuteofStrength29/tabid/246/Default.aspx.
3) MOS 1-4 focus on performing the perfect snatch. http://www.artofstrength.com/MinuteofStrengthENews/

Wow! That was soooooo helpful. Thank you very much.

Elsie

Gayle - Sorry to enable but you really must get Empire State!:p

FitGirl - Thanks for the suggestion. Keith Webber is on my wish list but I'm trying to give my CC a break for the moment!

Marcy

Thanks ladies! FitGirl - I don't have Newport yet, just Providence. Hopefully I'll get the turkish get-ups figured out. I'm going to aim for Empire State next and then Newport after that.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Another vote for Empire State although I have almost all the DVD's now and I can't say enough about them ! Between Cathe and Anthony I'm going to be unstoppable!

LOVE Empire State, LOVE KB Way Volume one....HIIT and muscles....efficient, Beth and Anthony have a nice rapport and are low key...love this!!!

Hey Marcy,

Great summary on the AoS workouts! I haven't tried Empire State yet; might add it later this year.

If you're looking for another KILLER workout, try Keith Webber's Extreme KB Cardio...gosh, it smokes me like Newport. Newport is one of the most challenging workouts I've ever done in my life. when I got Extreme KB Cardio, I used the same weight (9kg) as Newport (though I can swing & press a 20kg bell), and I was barely able to make it through the first 3 rounds - LOL. It's definitely a great workout, and I thought I'd mention it since you seem to be challenged by Newport.

HTH,
FitGirl-ATX

I love Keith's workout as well, but I don't find it as hard at Newport. I use a 15 pound bell for all of Keith's workout, but I alternate with different weighted bells in Newport, and I still find Keith's easier. Odd.

I'm wondering why Providence and Newport are designed to use only one bell? I use an ever greater variety for Providence than I use for Newport and feel I get a better overall workout that way. Could you explain this for me please? TIA

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.