Anyone try AOS Santa Monica yet?

LeanneM

Cathlete
I just picked up Saturday's mail, and my copy of AOS Santa Monica was in it! The bummer is that I can't try it out until Tuesday since I don't want to mess up my weights schedule. :(

Has anyone else received it and/or tried it yet? I think I'm going to preview it tonight! :)

Hi Leanne!

I just wanted to bump this post. I watched the Santa Monica trailer last night and am on the edge about buying it.

I have some ?'s I thought maybe you could answer if you've previewed it. Can the workout be done with just one kettlebell? How much of the workout requires the ropes?

I'm also curious (after you do it, of course ;)) as to how you would compare it to Providence and/or Newport. I have both, but haven't worked up to Newport's fast pace yet.

TIA!!!

Hey Melissa,

Sorry -- I didn't have time to preview it last night. :eek: I'm going to do it tomorrow as my regular workout, so I'll get back to you then.

From the looks of it, it looks like the ropes are optional (which is good since I don't have any and am not planning on getting any!).

:)

Hey, Peggie -- They sent the Ropes Gone Wild workout as a separate DVD, but then on the back of the main DVD case, it says that the ropes will be used for active recovery between the rounds of the regular workout. :confused: Not sure if they'll be used or not!

"Ropes Gone Wild?" LOL! heehee...I might have to get that workout for the clever name alone.:)

Just did Santa Monica!

Whew! So I just did Anthony's new AOS Santa Monica workout, and it's great!:D

The bonus features include demos by Anthony of each move/exercise, plus some short features, such as him talking about his battle with cancer.

There is no warm-up or cool down, so that's a bit of a disappointment, but all the other rounds are great. There are also three things you can program with the workout: instruction before each round, whether or not you use the ropes between each round, and the length of the rests between each round (60, 30, or 10 seconds). (I don't have ropes, but after watching some of the segments with them, I definitely want some! :p Next time I do the workout, I'll probably jump rope during the rope segments to get my heart rate up a bit more.)

There are a few rounds where they use two kettlebells of the same weight, but you can easily substitute dumbbells for those exercises.

Here is a quick overview of each round. I wrote down the times, but I'll just include the exercises.

Round 1
Figure 8 to a Hold (3 minutes)

Round 2
Turkish Getups (5 minutes)

Round 3
Swings + Body Weight Squats

Round 4
Chest Presses + Push-Ups + Squats

Round 5
Squat Press + High Pulls + Staggered Squat (R then L)

Round 6
Press to Windmill (R then L) + Suitcase Deadlift to Row + Flip & Squat

Round 7
Clean Press to a Getup + Super Plank with Drop Hip + Double Alternating Snatches

Round 8
Lunge Cocktail with Twist + Squat and Hold + Open Palm Press

I programmed it for 30-second rests, and the workout came in at about 35 minutes. Next time I do it, I'll probably jump rope during the rope segments, and maybe run through it twice.

In intensity, I'd say it's harder than The KB Way/Providence, but not quite as hard as Newport. (Of course, I think it would be much harder if you did the rope segments.)

Hope this helps! :)

ETA: There's a trailer for it on the AOS website: http://www.artofstrength.com/dvdworkout/tabid/182/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Here it is Leanne! I was searching for your review...sounds killer, might have order, I did not know that Anthony had cancer either??

Hey, Melissa! Glad to help! I know you were wondering about whether or not you needed two kettlebells of the same weight, but you definitely don't. The chest presses were the only exercise were you could use two KB's, but you could easily substitute DB's for them. :)

Hey, Tneah, chica! Yeah, there's a blurb about his cancer on his website:

http://www.artofstrength.com/tabid/354/Default.aspx

Hey Leanne:

Interesting to read your review. I wonder how SM will compare to Empire State once it arrives? Let me know how you find them both, in comparison.

I have my kbs! Saw your pm: am drafting you an email, got half way through last night, then had to stop to test my youngest on her science ready for test coming up, so will send it soon as poss, could be a couple of days.

Til then, stay well,

Clare

Hey Clare! No worries! :) I'm hoping that my copy of Empire State arrives soon so I can do it on Sunday! Yes, it'll be interesting to see it compares to SM! I'll let you know!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.