Anyone? Thinning out/Getting Lean...? about Butts and Buts vs. Total Body

runrn7

Hi everyone!

I have a ? for you...I am trying to lose some unwanted extra weight I gained over the Winter...about 10 pounds. I am doing cardio 5-6 days/week. But I am confused as to whether I should start doing total body training 3 X/week or concentrate on Butts and Guts once/week with 2 total body training days/week? My lower body is the LAST place I lose weight, and the FIRST place I need to lose it. I am short 5/2. Is it best to lose with weight first and incorporate total body and once I lose the weight start to break body parts down such as Butts and Guts?

Thanks!!

Pam

Hi everyone!

I have a ? for you...I am trying to lose some unwanted extra weight I gained over the Winter...about 10 pounds. I am doing cardio 5-6 days/week. But I am confused as to whether I should start doing total body training 3 X/week or concentrate on Butts and Guts once/week with 2 total body training days/week? My lower body is the LAST place I lose weight, and the FIRST place I need to lose it. I am short 5/2. Is it best to lose with weight first and incorporate total body and once I lose the weight start to break body parts down such as Butts and Guts?

Thanks!!

Pam

Hi Pam. I am also short. Actually shorter 5 feet tall :( I tell you what has worked for me 3 days a week cardio and lifting alternate body parts 3 days a week.
Monday -Run 6 miles
Tuesday-shoulders, bicep, triceps
Wednesday-Run 6 miles
Thursday-legs, usually butts and gutts or gym style legs
Friday-Run 6 miles
Saturday- Chest and back
I will also alternate every month or so to mix things up and do 2 days of full body weights and 3 days of cardio. Most importantly I eat clean. With 1 cheat day. You do an awful lot of cardio can I ask how long your cardio sessions last for? The good thing about incorporating the weight lifting is that muscle continues to burn fat even hours after your workout is done. I know for me being short and having 2 kids has made losing the weight pretty challenging but it is doable.

Thanks for the response! I have tried less cardio and then more cardio, and am back to more cardio...both have worked in the past. My cardio sessions vary from 30-60 minutes depending on the day. I try to mix what I do for cardio up as well...run, elliptical, Cathe cardio/wgt. mixed tapes, etc...Frankly, I just don't know what would work anymore.

Maybe I am doing too much again and reaping no rewards.

Any insight is helpful.

I have a ton of Cathe tapes to choose from as well...and I do like to get a cardio/wgt. combo tape in once/week.

Thanks again!!

Pam

Thanks for the response! I have tried less cardio and then more cardio, and am back to more cardio...both have worked in the past. My cardio sessions vary from 30-60 minutes depending on the day. I try to mix what I do for cardio up as well...run, elliptical, Cathe cardio/wgt. mixed tapes, etc...Frankly, I just don't know what would work anymore.

Maybe I am doing too much again and reaping no rewards.

Any insight is helpful.

I have a ton of Cathe tapes to choose from as well...and I do like to get a cardio/wgt. combo tape in once/week.

Thanks again!!

Pam

Hi Pam, . . . don't fret I know exactly how you feel. I've read on this forum that you need to do less cardio and heavy weights. It seems like popular opinion here but I'm more like you. I actually love doing cardio and find that it works pretty darn good for me. I have a lot of strength goals so I also can't do without weights. I guess the best advice I can give is to make sure that you are having fun and mix it up a bit that way your workouts can just be a part of your lifestyle and your body does not adapt and plateau. On top of the workouts that I do weekly I also mountain bike for about 2-6 hours a week with my husband. I just love cardio, mountain biking and running and honestly I think that it sure beats just sitting around eating a bag of chips sitting in front of the TV. Which brings up another point. I truly believe as I've read and heard before that a healthy lifestyle is 10% genetics, 70% nutrition and 20% excersize. Clean eating is just part of losing weight non negotiable. Hang in there. I know it is tough being short for some reason I feel like it makes weight loss harder. Just a theory. I mean it's bad enough that we have to hem almost every article of clothing we buy. :)

Hi,

I'm short too -- 5'2". I find that if I do a lot of leg work, I bulk up and look heavier even though I'm just growing muscle. I find that doing only moderate leg work is all I can do without looking heavier. For example, in the ME dvd they do lots of sets of squats, lunges, and hi-step work. I only do one set of each now so I don't bulk up. The cardio burns fat, so you want to stay with that but watch doing too much muscle work with the legs. That's my advice.

I am also 5ft so I understand your struggle it seems to me that no matter what I do I still look heavy. I wt 123lbs and that is way to much. I am currently doing Chelean Extreme but there is not enough cardio involved in this and I think my body responds better to it. Maybe we need to start a checkin for short people. Buying clothes really suck especially pants.

Maybe we need to start a checkin for short people. Buying clothes really suck especially pants.

I'm in!!! Sometimes I even shop in the kids section! I'm even considering trying kids shoes. Lucking I love to sew so I do all my own tailoring but how I wish I could buy off the rack. Even petite clothing is to long. What I really hate is that my waist line is sorta on the rectangular side. I don't think I have a waist, . . . .or maybe I do and it is just hidden under my flub. :( So when I buy my running capri's I need a size small for length but a medium for the waist. I never win. Gosh it really truly sucks sometimes to be short and my legs do tend to bulk up when I lift a lot. I find that the running really helps to lean them out. Hey good things come in small packages. :)

Last edited:
We could call it the 5'3 and under checkin. I to have noticed that petite length pants are to long what is up with that. I use to have my mom shorten everything for me but she has moved to far away for me to do that and I really don't know how I have tried it but not real good at it. My legs don't respond to a whole lot of exercise I believe I am doomed to have big thighs.

If you have any insights on sources for clothing for shorter women please post! My daughter is 4'9" (86 lbs) and the doctors say she is done growing. It is going to be a life long issue... kids' clothing no longer fits as she has quite the curvy figure but 00s seem to be the only size that fits!. Shoe size is a 4.5 womens (like you can find those!) or size 2 kids. Poor kid! Dora tennis shoes won't cut it! LOL

If we start a checkin we could discuss the best places to buy shoes and pants and anything else for short people.

If you have any insights on sources for clothing for shorter women please post! My daughter is 4'9" (86 lbs) and the doctors say she is done growing. It is going to be a life long issue... kids' clothing no longer fits as she has quite the curvy figure but 00s seem to be the only size that fits!. Shoe size is a 4.5 womens (like you can find those!) or size 2 kids. Poor kid! Dora tennis shoes won't cut it! LOL

Have you tried The Limited Too and Ambercombie and Fitch A92. These are more for the tween and super skinny adult women and go up to a size 14-16.

Hi everyone...thanks for all your input! :) It is appreciated.

I am going to stick with the cardio-mainly running. I know this leans me out. Any other cardio I do - elliptical, bike - I use no resistance. I have had great results with my legs, after I have lost a little weight on them, using lighter weights.

As for clothes, yes, it is a challenge at times. I have to get most things hemmed.

I've had some luck with Ann Taylor Loft lately. Not super cheap, but after a point, you're just happy to find something that fits. I'm 5'2" and typically wear the xxs petites or 00 petites. I used to have to shop in juniors, but at 34, it sort of isn't working out for me anymore. LOL - I don't want skinny jeans and shirts showing my tummy or shorts that don't allow me to even bend over.
Heather

I don't do too much weighted leg work

I find that body weight is enough. I'm also just 5'2" I thought I was 5'3" but I was measured last time and lost an inch :confused:

I will see you in the check in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.