Anyone suffer from insomnia?

slnewmanpt

Cathlete
Hi everyone!! Does anybody else suffer from insomnia? For about the last three weeks, I've been sleeping for only about three or four hours a night. I'm starting to feel some pretty serious effects of sleep deprivation. This has NEVER happened to me before. I don't really have any new stressors in my life, so I can't figure out what the heck is going on.:-( I would appreciate ANY input you guys have to offer.:+

Sherry http://www.gif-seite.de/vorschaubilder/smilies/laola.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/Peanut7

Maybe unconciously you have a lot on your mind? Or you could be too excited about your sons without knowing it. Also, are you taking any supplements? My husband has insomnia. His brain is always going. He drives me nuts at night sometimes. He's a little better now that he's relaxed. Also, do you feel I have to get up to do this or that, etc? I get that a lot and I don't get much sleep sometimes. I had a bad case of insomnia 2 yrs ago for no reason.

Hi Sherry! I too had suffered from insomnia; couldn't break the pattern that I had fallen into. I would wake every nite every 2 hrs.; could barely (sp?) work out. Went to ob/gyn & he had me take Ambien (this is a sleeping pill); just enough pills (8) to break the pattern. You don't want to be on Ambien for too long as your eyes don't go into REM. Then I was placed back on Mircette 28 (low dosage birth control pill). At the time I was still into peri-menopause. Now I'm into menopause & instead of the Mircette 28 I take AM/PM Complete Balance from Natrol. I got this recommendation from WD. What a difference! No more sleep deprivation for me. It takes a little while for the pills to work. HTH, Kathy:7

I seem to recall that you are over 40. Why not take 1 mg of melatonin every night for a week or so and see how that works? It's not recommended for people under 40, but by 40 your natural melatonin levels are substantially lower than they used to be. I've read that melatonin has no side effects. I sleep like a baby from it. I've been taking it since I was 39, most nights (I am now 45). I only use half a milligram, but on nights when I wake up at 3 or 4 am I nibble the tiniest little piece I keep on my alarm clock and I go back to sleep again. It's cheap, safe and non-addictive. No prescription needed.

Hi Sherry,
I've dealt with insomnia on and off for years, so I can relate to what you're feeling. Here are some tips I've gathered over the years. (1)Avoid caffeine (obvious), and (2)avoid alcohol, as it may make it easier to fall asleep, but ultimately disrupts your sleep, leaving you tired. (3)Use your bedroom only for sleep and intimacy. Any work should be kept in another room so as to facilitate relaxation. (4)Try to establish a bedtime "routine", that involves things like stretching, herbal tea, reading, a bath, etc. This will help to signal your body to get ready for sleep. Make sure, however, that if you choose to bathe,your bath is not too hot, because raising your body temperature right before bedtime can keep you awake. Generally, your body temperature drops slightly before bedtime, signalling your body to fall asleep. For this reason, (5)exercising three or four hours before bed can also be helpful, as it raises your core temperature at first, but later lowers it slightly. Avoid exercising any closer to bedtime for these same reasons, as it may keep you awake.
These ideas may be helpful, but I would strongly suggest you go see your doctor. She can help you to decide if you need a medication like Ambien, discussed in an earlier post, to get you "over the hump", so to speak. As long as you're careful to follow your doctor's instructions, these drugs are quite safe and effective. Using the above techniques can help you to settle into a sleep routine as you're weaning yourself off the medication. Once you're able to actually sleep, it's helpful to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even on weekends. Yes, that's a drag, but you and I know the agony of the alternative, so I find it to be worth it.
I hope these ideas are of some help. Good luck, and go get some sleep, okay?
-Kate

Hi there,

I can totally relate to you, I am a horrible sleeper, it takes me at the VERY LEAST 1 hour to fall asleep (and that would be on a good night, it can take up to 3 and it doesn't matter how exhausted I am, how little caffiene I've had, how long its been since I exercised, etc) and I wake up about every 3 hours for another 30 minutes or so, so I'm thinking I get about 4-6 bad hours of sleep a night.

Anyway I've done everything (except go to the doctor i'll admit) and nothing helps me I feel like I am missing the sleep portion of my brain. However my chiropractor recommended an herbal supplement called Valarian Root. This doesn't do anything about how long it takes me to fall asleep but it does help me to relax so I'm not as anxious while I am awake and also seems to help me sleep better once I've actually fallen asleep (whenever that may be), you might give that a try?

Anyway good luck, hopefull this will pass for you.

Jill

Hi. I've had bouts of insomnia for more than 4 years now. I've learned a lot about it through these years. I had a terrible time dealing with it at first because I stressed myself out over it so much. The best advice I can give to you is to not worry about it. I used to worry that I would be tired or unable to work or cranky or any number of things that lack of sleep can prduce and it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I worried that I wouldn't sleep, I didn't. Please see your doctor before anything else to rule out thyroid problems, depression or hormonal problems. Ambien can be a good medicine to get you through a rough period but it can cause dependency whether that is psychological or physical because it is easy to make yourself think you can't sleep without it. You've gotten some great advice so far. The only thing further I can add is to get up if you haven't fallen asleep in a reasonable amount of time. Tossing and turning will only cause you to get more upset and frustrated over it and many insomniacs have a difficult time falling asleep from simply trying too hard to go to sleep. Sleep can't be forced but it is something we allow to happen. Don't worry - this will pass. I know it is scary and it makes life not quite as fun when you are tired but you can function on less sleep than you think and before you know it, you will be getting better. Just let it pass without trying to force it. I wish you the best with this. I know how difficult it can be but I have figured out that I do much better when I don't let it get me down.

I think seeing your doctor is a good idea. However, I would caution you to be very careful with medications. I allowed myself to become a guinea pig with a whole round of sleep medications, anti-depressants and other drugs that were supposed to help me. Some of them work in the short term, some of them made me fat, and some of them didn't work at all. I had the best experience with short term rounds of Ambien when I was feeling really low and a drug called Sonata is helpful to many people. Please read about side effects of any medicine they give you and ask them questions about it. It might turn out that it is just hormones or a natural shift in your sleep patterns that will work itself out. I know exactly what it feels like to dread bedtime and to feel the constant worry if tonight will be bad and what if I never sleep right again. Exercise will help and hot bubble baths help me as long as they aren't too close to bed time. Don't try to force yourself to go to bed at certain time just because it is bed time. Rather, go to bed when you feel that you can't keep your eyes open another minute. Once your in bed, don't try to go to sleep but just let your mind rest and reflect on positive thoughts about your day. Prayer works for me too. I often set the sleep timer on my television and watch a home decorating show or something light until I fall asleep. Gotta love HGTV. I no longer have a clock facing my bed either. I turn it around and I never allow myself to look at it through the night because it only creates anxiety and makes me feel like I am on a timer. You will know if you have been tossing and turning for too long and you need to get up and read or just leave the room for a while. That will allow you to get out of the place that is causing frustration so that you can mentally re-group. I hope I am not going on too much. This is just very close to my heart because it is a stressful thing for many people and it is very isolating because many people just can't understand why you can't just go to sleep if you are tired. You aren't alone. But, please know that the body will eventually take the sleep it needs to get by. This is much less sleep that most of us need to feel extremely well but eventually, the sleep will come. Try to avoid naps and it helps me to get up at the same time every day no matter how much sleep I got the night before. I feel much worse if I tell myself that I had a bad night last night and I am tired. I feel better when I tell myself that I feel pretty good and tonight will be better. Try not to stress but I know it is hard. Be kind to yourself and as hard as it might sound - relax. God Bless.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.